Not a folding knife guy but am getting pulled in.

In general I am not a pocket knife guy. I think a pocket knife is a large stockman or trapper.

3 years ago i got a steel will Cutjack in D2 and have learned that it is a great knife.

Today I heard a rumor that Ontario Rat was on sell for cheap so i went to find out and the rumor is true so i bought one.

I have to admit that it is a nice knife but it's no steal will cutjack.

What I like about it. I like green, the shape and lines are nice. It is a high quality knife but it's not up to par with my cutjack.

My dislikes. Thumb stud instead of flipper. Sub par steel. AUS8 is ok but there is better. The pocket clip is under my finger when i hold it. What position do i move it to? It's a little to big and does not fit my hand as well as my cutjack.

I am going to give this knife a 2 week try.

Was I spoiled on my first single blade pocket knife when i got the cutjack. Is it like having the world's hottest chick as my first girlfriend and then after her nothing can compair.

You'll find something else you like.

It will be a little more expensive than your Cutjack.

The one after that will be a little more expensive than that.

Welcome.

If you really get it bad, you may decide to have a custom knife built for you. Then, finally, when all hope of escape is gone, you may decide to start making your own.

If you think buying knives is an expensive hobby, go ahead and look at the prices of ready-to-run belt grinders.

Welcome to the world of folding knives. Steel Will makes some cool stuff. Around the same price as the Cutjack, Civivi makes some excellent knives in 9Cr18Mov. Fit and finish is great. The action is superior. They seem to get the most out of that steel with good blade geometry and a nice heat treatment.

Overall, Civivi makes an excellent product. They are WE's budget brand and probably represent the best bang for the buck in budget knives right now. Here is link to all their current products at BladeHQ.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--CIVIVI--3293

Welcome to the world of folding knives. Steel Will makes some cool stuff. Around the same price as the Cutjack, Civivi makes some excellent knives in 9Cr18Mov. Fit and finish is great. The action is superior. They seem to get the most out of that steel with good blade geometry and a nice heat treatment.

Overall, Civivi makes an excellent product. They are WE's budget brand and probably represent the best bang for the buck in budget knives right now. Here is link to all their current products at BladeHQ.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--CIVIVI--3293

I would put Real Steel in the same category, and some of Kershaw's offerings. At least, from a "get what you pay for" perspective.

Columbia River Knife & Tool, not so much. I toss them some money from time to time, but honestly, their heat treat is inconsistent.

Eventually, James will cross the hundred dollar barrier, and then I'll be able to recommend the Kizer/Gingrich GTi, which ought to feel somewhat similar to his Cutjack.

AbX2j4s.jpg

The Hogue/Ritter collab would also act similar to the Cutjack, but James isn't ready to spend that kind of coin.

A more reasonable choice would be the Buck Spitfire. There may be others I haven't found or thought of.

Oh. And as far as a Sebenza, for the money, I would suggest an Arius, instead.

Last edited:
Went into a knofe shop today and was about to buy a ZT that was $280 then i remembered that it is just a knife. Pocket knives do not cost $280. May get something by spyderco in the future though.

I gotta stand up for the rat, you can get it with d2 steel that comes razor sharp.

If you prefer the size of the cutjack the rat 2 is very similar in size.

Rat was my first knife with thumbstuds that really showed me how snappy the action can be without an assisted opening or flipper

Went into a knofe shop today and was about to buy a ZT that was $280 then i remembered that it is just a knife. Pocket knives do not cost $280. May get something by spyderco in the future though.
There are many higher-end folding knives that cost more than that. There are also many "poor" kids walking around in $300 to $400 basketball shoes. A high-quality knife will, in all likelihood, last much longer than a pair of kids' fancy basketball shoes.

It all depends on what a person values.

Jim

In general I am not a pocket knife guy. I think a pocket knife is a large stockman or trapper.

3 years ago i got a steel will Cutjack in D2 and have learned that it is a great knife.

Today I heard a rumor that Ontario Rat was on sell for cheap so i went to find out and the rumor is true so i bought one.

I have to admit that it is a nice knife but it's no steal will cutjack.

What I like about it. I like green, the shape and lines are nice. It is a high quality knife but it's not up to par with my cutjack.

My dislikes. Thumb stud instead of flipper. Sub par steel. AUS8 is ok but there is better. The pocket clip is under my finger when i hold it. What position do i move it to? It's a little to big and does not fit my hand as well as my cutjack.

I am going to give this knife a 2 week try.

Was I spoiled on my first single blade pocket knife when i got the cutjack. Is it like having the world's hottest chick as my first girlfriend and then after her nothing can compair.
:) Don't dare try any Cold Steel brand knives with Tri-ad locks or you'll have little use for any short fixed blade thereafter . ;)

I would put Real Steel in the same category, and some of Kershaw's offerings. At least, from a "get what you pay for" perspective.

Columbia River Knife & Tool, not so much. I toss them some money from time to time, but honestly, their heat treat is inconsistent.

I've owned a few knives from CRKT and Gerber over the years. Generally, they seem like good ideas that someone cheaped out on. It's like they could have been good knives, with better materials or more attention to detail. Now, I don't say that relative to expensive high-end knives. I say that relative to brands like Civivi, Tangram, and Bestech.

Bestech is another company doing good things around $50. I got a D2 Beluga as a gift for someone and had the chance to take it down, play with it, etc. It was fairly impressive. The action and lock-up are fantastic. I like the Civivis a little better overall but if someone is attracted to the design, I'd say "go for it".

Kershaw straddles a huge stretch of the market, from sub-$10 cheapies at the big-box stores to some really nice sub-$100 knives. I feel like they do a decent job relative to price across that spectrum. It rarely feels like they're dropping the ball the way it often does with CRKT or Gerber. I sometimes see a Kershaw design I really like and wish it was offered in better steel. Sometimes, I get my wish and they do something like the premium versions of the Dividend. Now, if only they'd make a premium version of the Fraxion...

I don't have any experience with Real Steel but I've seen good reviews.

:) Don't dare try any Cold Steel brand knives with Tri-ad locks or you'll have little use for any short fixed blade thereafter . ;)

Certainly agree with that! The gateway to Cold Steel for me was the American Lawman which was suggested to me by another blue collar guy on this forum that used his at work. It has been on the job now for about 6 years or so, and still locks up like a bank vault.

As for the OP, I would hang on to that RAT. again, suggested here when they first came out many years ago Ibought one from a recommended vendor. Since it was inexpensive I was unconcerned about how I used it and it got every nasty job imaginable. It is still in the rotation as it fills my hand, still walks up tight, and makes a great work knife. I clean it with nasty solvents, put a couple of drops of oil on the pivot, and when I was bored on the job one day while it was raining I even sharpened it on 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper. It's just too much utility value for me to ignore.

Robert

What if those fixed blades don't have MAP or a baboon at the helm?

J JamesofArc I think you did real well with the D2 Cutjack. The M390 Cutjack are better, I think. There are other Steelwill knives that might appeal to you.

I suggest baby steps on knife buying in terms of price as you open your mind to $100+ knives. I wouldn't plunge into a $300+ knife until you're convinced that they are a value to you, or just want something a lot more expensive than what you have been used to. The jump in quality is noticeable above a $50-$75 knife, but probably not significant relative to functionality (cutting). It's the little things that make a $200+ knife worth it. The Mini Cutjack was the first flipper I had gotten in years as I just sort of found flippers unnecessary (feel the same way about AO's and Auto's), but fun. Down deep, a pocket knife to me is still a Trapper or Stockman, although I generally don't care for stockman's unless they are small ones. I carried the M390 Mini Cutjack everyday for about 6 monhs along with my SAK, but have since switched to primarily the Benchmade Mini Presidio II folder as a second knife when I carry one. The Mini Cutjack still sits on my desk ready for use at a moment's notice. I consider the Mini Cutjack to be a very good knife and all I need.

Size..... you'll figure out what you like..... I discovered for normal day to day life, I don't even need a knife with a 3" blade (Delica, Mini Cutjack, Native size), but that has become my "preferred large knife" size when I want to carry one.

Nothing wrong with D2 steel. But most feel that there are a lot better steels around. I still like D2 personally, but I keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Back