Nutnfancy Reviewed the Sebenza. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to watch it and comment, but I clicked on the link and some 49 minute long video popped up.

No way am I spending 49 minutes...

Did all the people commenting in this thread ACTUALLY watch that thing? I'm both impressed and concerned by/for anyone that watched that whole thing.

Its possible with 3 shots of crown royal and another 3 bottles of corona to numb the pain. I watched the whole thing and kept waiting for him to mention the tolerances, the pivot bushing or the countless other aspects of what makes a sebenza special. NOPE just kept going on about speed of deployment, traction, and my personal favorite JIMPING!!!!! I couldnt help but laugh when kept saying the sebenza is a $150 knife. There were some truths to some of what he said but that was drowned out by all the bullcrap he spewed.

...jealous of?.........:confused:

I am sure that most on here love sharing knowledge and learning more about knives among other interests we have, but most on here also like knowing information and being able to share that information and feel like they contributed. It is a powerful thing for most to feel needed. Who in the knife world is at the top? Nut-n-fancy of course, but "true" knife nuts dis-regard him partly because they may not share his exact opinions, but also because they are not the revered known go-to-guy for all that is knives, hence jealousy. Not saying any particular person is, but some of the hatred seems to stem from jealousy.

I managed to watch the entire thing. The majority of the video is cringe-worthy. Once you get past all the "dudes!" and him patting himself on the back, it's pretty clear that the sum total knowledge he has of Sebenza's was gleaned from about 15 minutes reading CRK's website.

But yeah, he essentially misses the point. He can't really have even used the knife--the thumbstud is still perfectly blue!

As thoughtful and articulate your response is, how is nutn' the go to knife guy for all that is knives?

I'm sincerely debating posting this as I have no feeling one way or the other about the man, but I'm genuinely curious how that crown was bestowed upon someone that could hold a fine specimen of craftsmanship in his hands and fail to touch upon some of the finer points of what goes into it.

The way it came off to me is he sandwiched some basic info he read off of advertisements between his self love and how much the Sebenza cost garnished with more dudes then a 1960's beachbum.

To each their own and the world still spins I suppose but anyone that has owned a Sebenza knows you have to atleast use it to "get it".

I have one thing to say, all you people pissed about him calling it a tactical folder.

You do realize the Sebenza was one of the first ever knives to be considered a tactical folder right? CRK makes tactical folding knives, "Your defender" listed right in their statement about the uses... think the umnum needs a glass breaker for EDC, that's for busting glass in a balls to the walls type situation.

Just cause you don't like it don't make it not true.

While I disagree with some of what he said there is some truth there. I own several CRKs, and several mechanical timepieces. Both the CRKs and mechanical watches are IMHO the truest expression of what can be achieved within their particular realm. I've manged complex projects for over twenty years and can tell that obtaining the last 5% of perfection in most anything can easily double the cost.

When we choose to buy something that is as close to perfection as possible we incur a substantial premium. I appreciate the craftsmanship that makes that possible but for pure functionality, I doubt that the premium cost is worth it.

I hate to admit it but from that perspective Nut N Fancy is right but I'd hate to think that there are no people who will make the effort to come as close as possible to perfection. I'd also hate to think that there are no people who appreciate it.

This is my small CRK collection and my support of the craft. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344828342.969047.jpg

As thoughtful and articulate your response is, how is nutn' the go to knife guy for all that is knives?

I'm sincerely debating posting this as I have no feeling one way or the other about the man, but I'm genuinely curious how that crown was bestowed upon someone that could hold a fine specimen of craftsmanship in his hands and fail to touch upon some of the finer points of what goes into it.

The way it came off to me is he sandwiched some basic info he read off of advertisements between his self love and how much the Sebenza cost garnished with more dudes then a 1960's beachbum.

To each their own and the world still spins I suppose but anyone that has owned a Sebenza knows you have to atleast use it to "get it".

Not saying he is the best, but you cannot argue that he is the most known knife reviewer on the internet. To average joe's he is the ultimate in knowledge. Guys who want to buy a knife and go to youtube for reviews will always come across his videos first. He may not be the most knowledgeable guy (esp on CR knives apparently), but he is at the top in this category. Who else gets brought up more when the topic of knife reviews comes up? I am not saying this particular review was good, but more making a general point of his hatred on this forum. I respect a lot of guys opinions on here and most of the guys I look forward to hearing their opinion are the guys you will never see jumping on the hate nut-n-fancy bandwagon. The guys who make fun of him and make a point to bash him are some of the guys I would say are jealous.

I watched it. He was one of the first reviewers to get me interested in knives. You have to start somewhere. The SRM 710 eventually led to my interest in Sebs.

Now that I am better educated about blades, I can identify -- and ignore -- his prejudices and reach my own conclusions.

I'm still learning, and probably always will be. So I watch and read as many viewpoints as I can.

That still includes Nutnfancy. But as for his often grating style and political views, they are a turnoff.

Those of you that watched the video can rest easy knowing you will never get that hour of your life back. ;)

I tend to make fun of people that have an overinflated sense of self in my day to day and as often as possible to their face so if I come across it on the internet then there's very little difference to me then what I would do in "real life". As a waiter, believe me, I get my chuckles often.

If someone post a video for all to see on something he/she has very little knowledge about, nor did not put to any actual use, and does it in a loud mouthed type of way then that individual is inviting ridicule upon himself/herself. It's a fairly simple concept to wrap ones mind around and labeling jealousy, well...I still can't see it.

The man reviewed a knife.
The man has no experience with said knife.
The man showed his ass therefore inviting some ridicule.
We have some knowledge of the knife.
We see where he is lacking.
We ridicule.

Rinse..wash...repeat.

If the cat were to exercise a little humility or learn a little more about what he's making AN HOUR LONG VIDEO ABOUT BEFORE MAKING THE VIDEO, EDITING IT, THEN POSTING IT FOR ALL THE BIG BLUE WORLD...perhaps responses wouldn't be so judgmental ..

...or maybe they would, hell I don't know, who cares?:yawn::D

I agree with the underlying point that he is making in his review: you don't need a $400 knife to cut stuff but if are willing to pay that amount for reasons other than function (such as exacting tolerances and owning an industry benchmark) then fill your boots. So what's the problem with that?

Good points, I respect the make fun of people all the time not just on the internet. Kind of cowardly to limit one's making fun of to doing it behind the internet:) I think we are hitting on two different points, you are focusing on this one instance (which I think you are correct, I am not a big fan of arrogant people either), where I took this one instance to rant about something I have seen many times and come to the conclusion that the guys who will take every opportunity to bash him are jealous of him. It does not seem you are in that category, but rather this one time in particular he made an ass of himself and he deserves it. I do think he made a review for the "every man" and most people will never purchase a CR knife regardless of his review.

Good points, I respect the make fun of people all the time not just on the internet. Kind of cowardly to limit one's making fun of to doing it behind the internet:) I think we are hitting on two different points, you are focusing on this one instance (which I think you are correct, I am not a big fan of arrogant people either), where I took this one instance to rant about something I have seen many times and come to the conclusion that the guys who will take every opportunity to bash him are jealous of him. It does not seem you are in that category, but rather this one time in particular he made an ass of himself and he deserves it. I do think he made a review for the "every man" and most people will never purchase a CR knife regardless of his review.

Point taken. I've swayed some friends long ago, my boss/friend is BIG into high end knives, and I spend alot of time in here(oh sweet technology) so I forget sometimes how crazy it is to most to drop hundreds on something sharp and pointy(and having a drawer full of them).

Damn, reason is kicking in, gotta go! :D

i clicked on the video

i noticed about 1min that the sebenza had a brand new unused blue stud, no scratches on the handles, no scratches on the clip and it was never sharpened.

that tells me it's brand new and his review is useless.

I liked, and watched nutnfancy's videos when I was a newb and was first getting into knives.
But now as my knowledge has increased I find very few things that I agree with him on now.

I've done the same thing for quite a few YouTube channels that seem focus on drama and self-praise instead knowledge and information.

Personally, I think this review says more about nutn and his lacking review style than it does about CRK's knife.

Random Tidbit: The Sebenza is much more than a tool used to cut things.

"One of these days, if I do a gear check on you dudes and you pull out a Sebenza..." :rolleyes:

Disappoint that he didn't learn that the thumb stud can't be changed in researching for a 1 hour video.

Agree that the Sage 2 is a very nice knife.

I managed to watch the entire thing. The majority of the video is cringe-worthy. Once you get past all the "dudes!" and him patting himself on the back, it's pretty clear that the sum total knowledge he has of Sebenza's was gleaned from about 15 minutes reading CRK's website.

But yeah, he essentially misses the point. He can't really have even used the knife--the thumbstud is still perfectly blue!

He hadn't used it and he managed to talk about it for 50 minutes. :eek:

I can never watch more than 5 minutes of his videos... let alone 30 minutes or however long it was

I had the video going while browsing the forums over the weekend. I agree with some stuff he said but don't with a lot of it. I'm not surprised with some of his observations given that he didn't use the knife. Most of the praise for a plain jane sebenza comes after some use, not when you take it out of the box for the camera.

Also, regarding nutnfancy in general. People seem to forget that he is not a knife person. He's a "Tactical" person that also likes knives. If he was a knife person, he wouldn't open all his knives with that wrist flick. That makes me cringe every time. He doesn't care about the knife. It's not something to cherish and have your whole life. It's a tool that can be replaced when it breaks (from gross negligence.)

I've come to the same conclusion. The Sebenza doesn't seem to be what he's currently looking for in a knife and that's fine other than the douche knife comment (Is the douche with a Sebenza a douche before or after he gets the Sebenza?) . His views are in line with someone who is looking for "value tactical" knives. We see those threads all the time in General.

I find it amusing how much it bothers some people that he thought the knife is overpriced. It's like everyone here just watched an hour long video but only listened to a few words out of the whole thing. He LOVED the quality, just not the price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back