Nutnfancy Reviewed the Sebenza. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing how much it bothers some people that he thought the knife is overpriced. It's like everyone here just watched an hour long video but only listened to a few words out of the whole thing. He LOVED the quality, just not the price tag.

You dont say something is quality and not explain even for a second why its high quality. Then go on and bash how expensive it is and how it shouldnt cost more than $150. Thats like saying a Mercedes is a quality car but go on and say dumb crap like how it should cost the same as a honda. ITS EXPENSIVE FOR A REASON GENIUS

I think that if he refers to it as a "douche knife" and infers that people who appreciate it are douches... shouldn't he be fair game for criticism? The dude ;) is long winded, opinionated, and definitely missed the mark in this instance. I'll admit to watching his videos in the past and taking his suggestions (spot on with the Skyline), but he's like a "Knives for Dummies" kind of guy. If you're not interested in spending more than $50 on a knife his opinion may be valuable. Beyond that, this forum seems to me to be a better resource for respectful, honest, and balanced reviews. Just my $0.02.

If he had ever taken an engineering course one of the first things they teach is that the tighter the tolerances the higher the cost of production.

as a newbie on this forum and also knifes.. i went thru the vid.. to be fair he did mention lots of positive on the Sebenza, only his tone of voice doesn't sound like he wants to admit it:)
from his LionSteel review someone mention 'he finally sucumbs to profits, like he can now be paid to do positive review..' or something like dat.. but the comment was removed when i just chk..:(

for a design like a CRK Sebenza which has gone thru so many years with so little or even no changes, it speaks volumes..

and as jdavis882 said.. its 'Pride Of Ownership'. something i suspect NutnFancy would never know.. its akin to saying a BMW is not worth the premium, when a Honda would suffice..sad..

I think that if he refers to it as a "douche knife" and infers that people who appreciate it are douches... shouldn't he be fair game for criticism? The dude ;) is long winded, opinionated, and definitely missed the mark in this instance. I'll admit to watching his videos in the past and taking his suggestions (spot on with the Skyline), but he's like a "Knives for Dummies" kind of guy. If you're not interested in spending more than $50 on a knife his opinion may be valuable. Beyond that, this forum seems to me to be a better resource for respectful, honest, and balanced reviews. Just my $0.02.

I cannot imagine how many poor souls bought SOG Flash knives because of his "honest" reviews, only to find out that they are comparable to the $1 walmart knives.

I cannot imagine how many poor souls bought SOG Flash knives because of his "honest" reviews, only to find out that they are comparable to the $1 walmart knives.

Never did buy the Flash 1, but he nearly talked me into it a year or so ago ;)

I TAKE THAT BACK!! I bought a bunch of cheap knives from a guy on Craigslist because there were a few decent Kershaws and a CRKT Shenanigan in there. Also a SOG Flash tanto included. Looked to be brand new, but the spring was broken.
But I digress...

Dudes he did say he dug the blade - really dug that blade!! Also loved the ergonomics in the hand. He gave his pitch that these knives and other items are so expensive because of marketing to the consumer as the best of the best & all that.

What makes that blade & those slabs worth $400+ dollars?? I dunno. Get past the "dudes" and it wasn't that far off base - for the Nutnfancy philosophy of "paying the least and getting the most for your dollar." I expected exactly what he delivered.

The Sebenza is a luxury knife IMHO. That's why I have one in my pocket right now. I deserve it and was able to afford it by not buying a bunch of cheap knives that he thinks are awesome.

Now I have to get over the guys at the gun club - some are thinking "wow a Sebenza" and others are thinking "what a douche!" :D

Dudes he did say he dug the blade - really dug that blade!! Also loved the ergonomics in the hand. He gave his pitch that these knives and other items are so expensive because of marketing to the consumer as the best of the best & all that.

What makes that blade & those slabs worth $400+ dollars?? I dunno. Get past the "dudes" and it wasn't that far off base - for the Nutnfancy philosophy of "paying the least and getting the most for your dollar." I expected exactly what he delivered.

The Sebenza is a luxury knife IMHO. That's why I have one in my pocket right now. I deserve it and was able to afford it by not buying a bunch of cheap knives that he thinks are awesome.

Now I have to get over the guys at the gun club - some are thinking "wow a Sebenza" and others are thinking "what a douche!" :D

Your post makes more sense to me than most I've read in this thread. Perhaps it's the effective simplicity and directness. Thanks for that.

IMHO the Sebenza is a tactical knife in that it fits my criteria of tactical by being one-hand-operational (opening and closing), has a pocket clip, and (though perhaps not to Nut'n's degree of liking) tactile jimping and "grip-ability" that facilitates a number of grip styles for different uses. All of mine have had a second lug added for ambi operation.

Does "tactical" necessarily mean that it's all blacked-out or camo'd and is designed with fighter inspiration? Not to me. To me, the Seb is way more tactical that gentlemanly. I've carried one for years, and I damned sure ain't a Gent. :)

Tactical implies to me a design aimed at getting a job done efficiently, and what that job is falls to individual interpretation.

Prof.

It's not a tactical knife, it's a modern gentlemen's folder.
Some gentlemen's folders go for $2000.
This one is affordable because it is a production model.
You get what quality (and exclusivity) you are willing to pay for.

I am sure that most on here love sharing knowledge and learning more about knives among other interests we have, but most on here also like knowing information and being able to share that information and feel like they contributed. It is a powerful thing for most to feel needed. Who in the knife world is at the top? Nut-n-fancy of course, but "true" knife nuts dis-regard him partly because they may not share his exact opinions, but also because they are not the revered known go-to-guy for all that is knives, hence jealousy. Not saying any particular person is, but some of the hatred seems to stem from jealousy.

I would say the reason why most "true knife nuts" disagree with him is because their knife knowledge has surpassed his. (Greatly in some cases) They now know better, and are better informed in this specific hobby then he is.

He's kinda the knife noob go to guy.

I had it running in my background, and after his first 5 minute into of hot air I kinda stopped paying attention.

Then I heard from my kitchen....

"... Idaho made whaaaaaat? Why do we have to put that on the titanium handle? No. Gay. That should be omitted; totally." (23:50)

Then I came to watch for a minute, and he tried to open the Sebenza by pushing the thumbstud forward, not how you should open a Sebby. (24:55)

Ok, enough of this. I'm good now.

I'd rate this review as useful for someone who is not into knives in a serious way and considers themselves a value shopper (despite the fact that the reviewer describes himself as" a tactical knife guy, of the first order" @ 27:00), or doesn't want to know much about the knife but is looking for something that looks cool as an addition to his gun because he is a tactical armchair warrior, like 95% of them. Maybe something he can lay beside his 45 and flashlite on a desk to take a pic for the forums.

It's pretty simple. Imagine him not knowing how to work the release on a holster properly, then complaining it's too slow to deploy his gun with this poor lock in a review of the holster, then showing it to tactical guys. Tactical guys will say hes an idiot.

It's pretty clear he is not a knife guy when it comes to this model, and he's showing it to knife guys, so we are calling him an idiot.

Nothing wrong with that.

Also, he neglected to mention that CRK hardens the lockbar face. He made a big fuss about the ti wearing out on the S35VN. "They need to slap a steel insert in there." Ahh, no they don't. :rolleyes:

@ cziv LOL. Like opening it wrong then complaining it's too slow to deploy.

I'm sure if we wanted to watch the whole thing, we would find a lot more. Probably beat this horse dead twice.

@ cziv LOL. Like opening it wrong then complaining it's too slow to deploy.

I'm sure if we wanted to watch the whole thing, we would find a lot more. Probably beat this horse dead twice.

Yeah, I cringed when I saw him fire that Sebbie out like that. :eek: Mine wouldn't open that fast if I tried to do it. Well he probably didn't buy it anyway and couldn't care less about treating it like a precision cutting instrument.

"Yeah, check it out dudes, deploys slower than a BM 940 slam, slam, slam!" :D

I just can't get past the douche knife comment. If having an expensive knife in my pocket that I discreetely take out, use, and put back into my pocket makes me a douche, guess I'm guilty.
Some may argue that someone pulling out an assisted opener and unnecessarily wrist flicking open it while going "wa-PSHHHHH" could be a douche, also...

If owning a Sebenza makes an individual a douche, then some of us must be considered ultra douches(ow, I hurt my own feelings).

I think the fellow just has difficulty conveying his points in a tactful manner as in context he wasn't calling anyone a douche.

If owning a Sebenza makes an individual a douche, then some of us must be considered ultra douches(ow, I hurt my own feelings).

I think the fellow just has difficulty conveying his points in a tactful manner as in context he wasn't calling anyone a douche.

Yeah and don't forget that the guys at the shooting clubs are either thinking you're cool or a douche too. At least you'll be controversial right? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back