Off Topic: Proxy Sales Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for spelling this out clearly Nathan. That's a great policy IMO. Thanks for the thoughtful and intelligent way you expressed how you want to see this go.

A problem with multiple proxies is we end up with multiple shipping address and billing information for a particular order. I'm okay with simple proxies because it reduces complexity where a person buys a knife for another person and ships it to them (it saves one shipping step reducing cost and risk), but there is a problem with multiple proxies, both for us and for the people coming to the sale but not getting in.

In order to keep things fair and allow everyone who comes to the sale to have a good shot at getting what they came for, I'm going to limit it to one purchase per post. That purchase can be for multiple knives, but if someone is buying multiples they'll need to plan on paying for and receiving those multiples. Otherwise they'll need to make multiple posts. I think this is fair because it still allows everyone to get what they want, and it gives the people with slower fingers or connections a fair shot at getting what they came for too.

Multiple proxies = multiple orders = multiple posts

The idea here is to bias the brisk sales we've been experiencing towards those who actually come to the sale. A person can proxy for someone if they want (I think that's great) but limiting sales to one order per post prevents someone from coming in and placing orders for all his friends who couldn't be there and bumping out the slower finger folks who came to the sale.

So, to be completely clear:

Proxy sales are fine. That's nice of you to help out a buddy and thank you for your order.

Multiple knives in a particular order are fine too (all paid for at the same time in the same payment, shipped to the same place)

Multiple orders in the same post are a problem (multiple payments coming from multiple people and shipping to multiple places)

Multiple orders in multiple posts are fine. If you want to order a knife for you and your buddy (and he's going to send a separate payment and we're shipping to a separate address), please do. In separate posts.

When we eventually get our inventory up to larger levels and sales last a little longer than they have been, getting multiple posts on a sale shouldn't be a problem, but the delay in getting two posts into the same sale will allow other people who have come to a sale a better chance of getting what they came for. I think it's a fair way to spread the love, reduce frustrations, and get new people into the mix.

I was hesitant to put limits into place like this. First I don't think it's my place to tell people what to do. Second I don't want to be the guy dictating to his best customers how they're supposed to buy his knives. I like keeping things loose and simple. But, we were starting to get into a territory where many or most of the sales were proxies, and multiple orders per post were pushing a lot of other people coming to the sale out and frustrating people. I hope you all find this a fair system for dealing with the on going shortages we've been having.

Lastly I want to say thank you to everyone for your interest in our work. This is (from my point of view) truly a good kind of problem to have. Jo, Mark and I genuinely appreciate your interest in our work and your support. The ability to focus on making high performance knives in the way we see fit without any outside dictates other than following our passion for performance and value is a huge blessing that wouldn't be possible without the continued support and interest of a lot of passionate knife knuts. We appreciate all of you.

Are we still doing proxies? The proxy request thread appears to have been locked. I scored a boot dagger already and was going to offer to proxy for someone who missed, preferably one of the people who submitted DEK1 pictures and didn't score on the Fun Friday sale but won't be around for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back