Off topic - what's up in your world today?

1066vik

Gold Member
Had a spring teaser yesterday - sunny and close to 70. Today it's cloudy and 35 - which may be the hight for the next week.
What are folks up to? (Today is make-up christmas with the in-laws, since we had an ice storm the day it was supposed to happen)
what's your next (or first) Terrio Knife?
Got any good plans for spring? (I plan on going to Blade for the first time)

Well it's -5 below which ain't bad since it's been pretty much -20 and -30 below last couple months. Been snowing alot and have 2 1/2 to 3 feet on snow on ground. Dangerous walking through streets have no chance of walking on sidewalks and street constantly being snowplowed can't be out long when this cold anyways.Soon as ice melts in couple months gonna be doing lots and lots of fishing. Going to be using my new fillet knives on all them fishies. A Normark and Buck Clearwater fillet knives. Everything can't melt fast enough. Can't believe it was almost 70 yesterday where your from. Kansas right? Maybe get 2 months out of year in the 70's in northern MN.

I'm really feeling the spring fever...

66F and mostly sunny here. Gonna go do some raking out front (the last couple storms brought down a lot of twigs branches and pine cones)... if I don't get it cleaned up before the grass starts to grow, it's gonna be a huge pain.

If I still feel frisky after that, it's out to the back yard and get the area around the firepit tidyed up as well. Angie has her nose buried in seed catalogs... gotta get some more stuff started for the garden.

My tabascos and chile-de-arbols seem to have survived the winter indoors pretty well, so I'm looking forward to seeing them take off as I ease them out in the sun and harden 'em off over the next couple weeks. Yay, homemade hot sauce and chili powder!

Ulf - I have family near Bemidji so I have an idea of the weather you've been having.
The 70 degree weather was in Tulsa, about 260 miles South of me - but it did get close to 60 at home.
today was damp, cloudy, breezy and I don't think we ever made it all the way up to 35 - uncomfortable, but not unbearable.

gearing up for camping season here -- Friday is the woodworking show in Kansas City, Saturday i help a buddy move, the next weekend (March 7-9) I'll be sleeping in a hammock in the woods -- before the ticks wake up.

We had another foot of snow on Friday and yesterday I skied up the steep sections of the trail to the cabin and today we are going to go and pack the trail down with the snowmobiles. It was too deep and soft to risk going without first packing the trail down with the skis. The cat that was adopted 3 weeks ago has made the house home and has already caught 2 voles that must have come in with the firewood. The snow pack is deep this season and I am not looking forward to the spring melt as it will be very difficult to get around.

I have a couple Terrios in the works...sort of. I cannot post photos from my phone at the moment, but I'll share some when I get an opportunity. Suffice to say they are a little different (heavy on the little).

This one is nearly done. I guess some would call it a collaboration project since we both ground on this piece.

If I can ever get around to ordering up some rivets, I'll finish the Kydex neck sheath.

It is small, but it makes small work of some moderate jobs. Thin, doesn't really seem adequate to describe this one. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393335429.422641.jpg

Not bad. It really wanted to be sharp;)

Honestly, I'm always a little surprised at how easy 3V is to grind and sharpen. Perhaps it is female and just responds well to diamonds :D

Seriously though, it always feels soft on the hones in spite of its actual hardness. And it performs pretty well to boot.

nice job on the kitchen knife James!

had another spring teaser -- was 54 on Friday, yesterday started out at 22 and went downhill from there.
today we got up to 6, and it's supposed to be -6 tonight -- but in the 50's with a chance for snow this coming weekend.
sounds like camping weather, doesn't it?
gotta love march in the midwest.

I was pretty underwhelmed with our "blizzard" last night.

Ready for the whole 2 inches to melt off so I can look for some deer sheds.

nice job on the kitchen knife James!

Thanks man. There's another one of my own designs in CPM-154 that will be ready for sale soon. Kitchen knives are fun! I get to push the envelope more than usual with the thin grinds, because it's pretty unlikely that someone will go to work chopping down oak trees with them :p.

The winter here has been a little odd, but nowhere near as extreme as pretty much everywhere else in the country.

so I smoked a pork shoulder the other day and thanks to James for his repeated commentary recently about wanting pancakes with real maple syrup, I think dinner tomorrow will be pancakes covered in shattered pork with the last of my stash of Canadian maple syrup. (that i found while cleaning the fridge Saturday)
Thanks again to Gus for the syrup!

Happy Solstice, Yule, Christmas, Hannukkah, or other seasonally celebrated holiday.

Merry Season to all and to all a good Knife!

I'll be home for Christmas. First time I will actually be at home for Christmas in over two decades. I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back