Ok, What's the best .22 rifle out there today?

Of course many are to say the Ruger 10/22 but I don't care for the style and feel of them too much. I also know one that has acted up pretty bad in the past with ammo that has never given me a problem before (Remington golden jackets). What do yall think? What about a Marlin Pappose, anybody have one?

Never owned a Marlin, but several friends who have different .22s from them seem very happy. Seems to be a Chevy vs. Ford type of battle between the Ruger and Marlin owners I know. Good natured, but competetive.

It's difficult to answer without first answering: what will you use it for?

Personally, I'm partial to the 10/22, although I still shoot my Grandfather's Mossberg.

db

I feel I have about as nice of a .22 as you can get for the money. You can spend more, but you wont find a more accurate rifle. I have a Remington 541T Heavy barrel. Nice walnut stock and blued steel. No synthetics here. I put a Burris 4x12 compact scope on it and I can put 10 shots under a quarter at 50 yards. I dont know what more you can ask of a .22.

One must acknowledge that simply asking for the "best" of anything gives no consideration to price; a potentially dangerous oversight. If you're really interested in the best .22 rifle, then it's likely that some freak of nature such as the Anschutz rifle pictured below is best.

However, if price is a consideration, as it usually is, then the recommendations offered above are certainly on the money. Anschutz makes other .22 models that are much more field friendly but just as accurate, and Kimber should never be overlooked in this category either.

Ralph,
I'm also interested to see how the new T/C .22 stacks up against the venerable 10/22.

Attachments

• anschutzrifle.jpg
    anschutzrifle.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 399
I think it'd be pretty tough to beat a Kimber bolt-action .22lr. I lusted after one at the last gun show, but $$$. Anyone know if Sako makes a .22? I like their rifles a lot.

EDIT: Argh, Bronco, you beat me to it (Kimber). Good choice.

I am partial to the Marlin Model 39 leaver action. Fairly light, handy, shoots better than you can, easily taken down for cleaning or packing. I also have Dad’s tricked-out 10-22, Clark Custom worked some magic on it, and an OLD Browning T-bolt. All of these can shoot better than I can. The Browning is long out of production. The Clark 10-22 costs lots of $$$, depending on what you want done. The regular 10-22 is out of your consideration. The Marlin works well out of the box. Adding a ‘scope or a peep sight is easy.

Try to find a range that will let you try several rifles and take your time. Go shooting with friends and try their rifles. Then get the one you like best first.

The others will follow just like the knives do.

I'm a huge fan of the Ruger 10/22. Mine's never given me any trouble; it's a beautiful, handy, accurate weapon.

I didn't mention this before, but I am in love with the Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher (full-length stock). I don't know why, but I find Mannlicher stocks to be much more balanced and elegant than regular stocks.

What I don't know is what effect this has on accuracy. Anyone know if the barrel is floating on those Mannlicher stocks?

the term best is both objective and subjective....the most accurate .22lr i own is my t/c contender with a 10 inch barrel and a leupold 4x on top....it will shoot1/4 inch 10 shot groups at a fifty yard range....on the other hand i have an awkward pre owned 22/77 that i put another leupold on top (m-8 fixed four power) that i use as a field gun and have fired thousands of rounds through....it is a bolt action with a rotary mag similar to the 10/22....the stock is a dinged up synthetic that is ugly but comfortable for me....the sling swivels leave something to be desired but get the job done....the action and barrel are stainless and the barrel is not free floated....the trigger is about four pounds (which i tend to think of as heavy)...HOWEVER with this in mind this particular rifle when fed CCI mini mags with a 36 grain hollow point bullet will hold its own with rifles that cost many times more and in the field it has harvested its share of game....one winter i bagged 300 squirrels in one month with exactly 301 shots...some of these included 70 and eighty yard head shots....this particular rifle is best for its intended purpose as a field gun....rugged, reliable, and accurate as well as easy to clean and maintain....yes i own finer guns and more expensive guns but this one is best for me for the field...off the bench it will do 1/2 inch 10 shot groups with the right ammo and in the field the game is as good as bagged....feverdoc

Alright, let me modify my question. What, for small game hunting and plinking around and maybe a "behind the back seat" .22 would be a good choice? For under $200 dollars. Semi-auto clip feed?

bye the way some good tips so far:p

With these new parameters, I believe there's only one choice . . . the Ruger 10/22. And contrary to your experience, most of them are reliable.

Given those parameters, go with the Ruger 10/22. Easily within your budget, and you can stick a match barrel and match trigger in it later if you want to upgrade.

Yes, absolutely consider the 10/22. It's decently accurate out-of-the-box, and there's a wealth of aftermarket parts and accessories that won't break the bank.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Ralph's suggestion of the Thompson/Center .22 auto rifle. I haven't owned one yet, so I can't vouch for it personally, but T/C enjoys an excellent reputation in the industry, and their .22 Classic auto rifle comes standard with some nice features that the 10/22 can't match; namely its receiver is threaded to receive the barrel (unlike the 10/22 in which the barrel is press fit and clamped).

Attachments

• tcthreaded.jpg
    tcthreaded.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 259
And here's a pic of the overall rifle:

Attachments

• tc22classicsm.jpg
    tc22classicsm.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 265
Best .22?

For WHAT?

Plinking? The 10/22 tricked out
Target Shooting? One of the Anschutz (sp?) free rifles (BIG Bucks)
NICE ACCURATE rifle. The Remington 40-xrbr ks It's the rimfire version of the 40x Lists at 1780 from the Custom shop

That, or call one of the custom rifle makers

Originally posted by Razoredj
I'm a huge fan of the Ruger 10/22. Mine's never given me any trouble; it's a beautiful, handy, accurate weapon.

I'll second that. With a 30 round clip, the 10/22 is a formidable little gun. I don't believe I have ever had a single jam.

I had an old used Remington pump .22 when I was younger. I used to love it. Nice, accurate, smooth actioning little rifle.

I also had a used Marlin .22 auto. What a POS that thing was. It's value was actually negative, since most of the rounds would jam, and could not be extracted without damage.

...That I collected firearms. I ended up working as a "Gun Whore" in three of the local gun stores here in San Diego just to pay off my "debt to society"... :rolleyes:

I've probably owned nearly 100 different firearms over the years, and though having sold almost of them now, I kept only a few...my Mossberg 500, a beater pre-64 Winchester 70 in "ought six", a few handguns, and my first love, old ugly...my Ruger 10-22 :D

20+ years old, and at least 30,000 rounds through it, (60+ bricks), and it's still a tack driver with the iron sights...ugly as hell, but it works well! :D

BTW, the Remington "Yellow Jackets" mentioned can hang it up because of the truncated bullet shape, and lead bullets will foul it badly....so, nearly 20 years ago I settled on Winchester's Super-X, or it's equivilent back then.

The Super-X was phased out a few years ago, and a newer more expensive version is now available... Side note, I helped a friend move a few weeks ago, and he asked if I wanted a case of "old .22 ammo" for my efforts...turned out to be a case of Super-X... :D :D :D

Also, the Butler creek hi-caps work well, but the Ram-lines are shiit! I think I have around 20 factory 10 rounders....and pick um up everytime I see them on the cheap.

I hear there are some nice stocks out there now...a break down stock even, and a rubberized molded plastic stock....maybe someday, but until then, old ugly is still my fave!

Get a 30 rounder full of them hollow-point CCI Stingers, the ones with the slightly longer cases and lighter 36 grain bullets. That is a light-maneuvering little sidearm, right there.

Back