Ok, What's the best .22 rifle out there today?

I'll throw in my dittos here.
Under 200 bucks;
Ruger 10/22, hands down first choice.
The T/C is a very nice gun but it's not THAT much nicer than the 10/22 and the accuracy difference noted between threaded barrel and clamped barrel will never be noticed by any but the most precise competition shooters.

Experiment around, try different types of ammo, see which is most accurate in your rifle, and then stick with that brand and type FOREVER.

Clean it often, ignore the bozos that tell you that .22s never need to be cleaned, (you'd be amazed at how many of these types are out there.) and you'll get many, many, years of happy service from your 10/22.

OVER 200 bucks?
GOTTA have that Kimber!
:D

mgeoffriau -- do you have a pic of the Mannlichter stock?

I have a 10/22 sporter and I love it. Very accrate and reliable. I have 50 Ram line mags jungle clipped together, so once they are filled, I rarely take any more ammo with me for a short plinking session.

Any one else have Ram-Line mags? Mine are showing wear and misfeeding and I believe they are under lifetime warranty?

Does anyone own a marlin papoose, I would like a backpacking .22, the papoose breaks down so it's awfully handy.

PS: where are you all getting these 30 round clips from?

Here's a picture of the Mannlicher (International) from the Ruger site.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfpages/1022rbi.html

I went into the local gunshop a couple years ago looking for something (i forget), and walked out with a SS International. It's beautiful. It's my third 10/22 since my first - a birthday present when I was 14 (?).

db

Wow. That is beautiful. Thanks for the link! I found out my Single Six needs to be upgraded as well!

I think I got my 10/22 when I was about that age! Maybe bit younger. Still my favourite to shoot.

'cause he got me to thinking about it and I went by the local gun shop this morning & picked up a Thompson Center .22 Classic. Proceeded directly to the local rifle range where I sighted-in with a couple brands of high velocity hollow-point ammo with both iron sights and a variable power scope.

The rifle proved to like Winchester Power Point ammo and routinely shot groups of an inch at 50 yards. This really isn't bad for high velocity ammo from a new rifle. I believe it will do better with target grade ammo, but this is really a hunting rifle at 5-1//2 pounds so I may just leave well enough alone.

So, Deerslayer, the T/C Classic is worth considering, but is a little more expensive than the Ruger 10/22. In my experience, it's a tad more accurate, but not by much.

Going after bushytails in the morning . . . :)

ralph
Endowment Member NRA

Ralph -- Did you go down to Jim Branham's store? And then to Cherokee Rod and Gun Club? Just curious....

No . . . went to Mahoney's and then to Kettlefoot. Jim didn't have the T/C Classic and I let my membership in Cherokee R&GC lapse several years ago.

Originally posted by CD Fleischer
Wow. That is beautiful. Thanks for the link!
Whoops. Hadn't checked this thread in a while. Thanks for the link Dave.

I was sad to see that the pic was of the blued model instead of the stainless. Dave, would you agree that the SS model is nicer looking? A little classier, maybe?

Congrats on the new T/C, Ralph. I sure hope it helps to put lots of bunnies in the pot, otherwise I'm going to feel like hell for steering you in the wrong direction.:)

I went squirrel hunting this morning as promised and managed to connect with a couple. The first was running across a limb getting ready to change trees and I shot poorly, but managed to scratch him down on the fourth shot. Never would have gotten him with my old bolt-action Anshutz Sporter.

Second was on a log about 25 yards away when I saw him. Got a rest on a handy tree and first shot did the job.

The T/C Classic is a nice little rifle, plenty accurate enough for hunting; and is light enough to make carry a pleasure in this East Tennessee hill country. :)

ralph
Endowment Member NRA

That's great news, Ralph.:)

Thanks for the feedback, and here's to many more seasons of continued success with the T/C.:)

Back