Old Historical knives (title edited)

I edited the title to read Old Historical knives, knives from early part of our history and formative years. It can be old knives and modern interpretations of of those knives too. Fixed or folders, just not modern tactical. If it looks like it would be on the belt of a Revolutionary or Civil War soldier, long hunter, mountain man or fur trader, cowboy, Indian, or homesteader, etc.....that is what I am after.

Many knives used to settle the west came from Sheffield!! A previous operator of A.Wright & Sons revived this butcher's pattern several years ago!
Our friend Jack Black revived the old logo used here, on a great run of Lambfoot Bladed Barlow knives in recent times!!
View attachment 1309588 View attachment 1309589
Please excuse my mediocre cellphone pics! I'm a scanner by trade!!

Thanks for the kind words Charlie, it's interesting to see that one :) I remember some years ago, going over to Sheffield to scour the antique shops, and the only knife I found all day was German (Gustav Emilern)! :D :thumbsup:

2FLB1gG.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Charlie, it's interesting to see that one :) I remember some years ago, going over to Sheffield to scour the antique shops, and the only knife I found all day was German (Gustav Emilern)! :D :thumbsup:

2FLB1gG.jpg

Cool knife. I think it is neat that you were looking for English stuff and found a German knife.

If you do not have the actual knife, but have photos, drawings, etchings or paintings of some old edged items that will work too. Maybe old catalogs, etc. I really like some of the artwork from magazines covers too....like BackWoodsman and American Frontiersman.

As has already been shown the John Russell Manufacturing Co Green River Works has a huge place in American Cutlery History, at their peak they produced 2500 to 3000 dozen pieces of cutlery a day. Until Russell, Sheffield cutlers and companies were the main source of cutlery in America.

A good read on Russell and a late 1800's Barlow and a 1800's Green River Works marked Jack.

http://industrialhistory.org/histories/john-russell-mfg-co-and-the-russell-cutlery/

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Last edited:
As has already been shown the John Russell Manufacturing Co Green River Works has a huge place in American Cutlery History, at their peak they produced 2500 to 3000 dozen pieces of cutlery a day. Until Russell, Sheffield cutlers and companies were the main source of cutlery in America.

A good read on Russell and a late 1800's Barlow and a 1800's Green River Works marked Jack.

http://industrialhistory.org/histories/john-russell-mfg-co-and-the-russell-cutlery/

View attachment 1310788

View attachment 1310790

Wow, nice,

I recently purchased a Miller Bros Blade T-1 folder, which is a massive overbuilt tactical weighting 15 oz., with a full 1/4" thick blade. An over the top modern knife of questionable utility perhaps. Until you notice that the knife shown below also has a 1/4" thick blade and a second blade to spare. It is a Sheffield folder made by Singleton around the 1880s with British military acceptance marks. Clearly those ancient old timers resembled us more then we like to let on.

Singleton Profile sm.jpg

IMG_0218.JPG n2s

Last edited:
Z9xNvYi.jpg

Not sure how far back the pattern goes,but I imagine harness jacks were very useful when everything was move by animal power. This Challenge dates to the early 20th century, waynorth waynorth that Hudson Bay HJ certainly is very cool:cool::thumbsup: and probably super rareo_O Also think that even though we call them harness jacks, in the early days of mechanization everything ran with leather belts. I imagine a HJ would be handy to have for that as well.

View attachment 1310788

View attachment 1310790
Good post on Russell knives, Augie!!:thumbsup: Here are a few more!!
Russell DaddyFish 1.jpg Russell DaddyFish 2.jpg Russell DaddyFish 3.jpg Russell DaddyFish 4.jpg Russell 3 HJ.jpg Russell 3 tang.jpg Russell ebony HJ.jpg

Cool folders. I can imagine the persons using them to make a living, repairing a harness, or belt, or going on a picnic after church near one of those little towns that sprung up on the way West. Keep them coming. Would the slaughter houses / stock yards in Chicago use skinners or boning knives to cut up the sections of beef? Or big butcher blades?

Last edited:
A small, but goodie. IXL gentleman's Sunday knife (circa mid 19thC) with diamond cut pearl scales (all blades in good condition). Pic about life size.

Next a Rev. War era folder from England. Bone scales,blade good shape. Maker's mark unidentified. Iron liners, integral bolster, iron pins.

Rich

Last edited:
Here's the "Scandinavian Dadley" that Dave made for me.

DSCN0115.JPG
They are common allover Northern Europe and sold as a Seaman's or Sailor's knife. That is also my intended use for this one, beside kitchen duty.
Dave's version in AEB-L has showed very good edgeholding in both light and heavy tasks. It is a perfect allrounder for the size.

Regards
Mikael

Very nice, keep them coming. Showing old knives is a form of therapy while we are social distancing....we can still keep in touch and keep our spirits up.

Back