"Old Knives"

VCM3

Dealer / Materials Provider
Platinum Member
I myself do not have anything new to show off,that you have not seen me already show off,but,check this out ,not mine but just sharing
-Vince
01-18-2008_060220PM.jpg

It is my opinion,that it seems,it'd be pretty challenging to collect older knives in excellent "uncleaned" condition,in the current modern day,with the internet there.I was told,that the internet made it possible for collectors to collect,but it seems now "they" have them & it is harder for newer collectors
If,that makes any sense at all
But my hat's off to you guys,it is a great hobby & love
-Vince

The problem with finding "mint" old knives, as I understand it, is that the old knives were tools that were meant to be used. That's why its hard to find real Case XX knives that aren't beat up. But there sure are plenty of fakes and "Kentucky mint" knives out there now.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

The problem with finding "mint" old knives, as I understand it, is that the old knives were tools that were meant to be used. That's why its hard to find real Case XX knives that aren't beat up. But there sure are plenty of fakes and "Kentucky mint" knives out there now.

Thanks for posting those pictures.
Mike I was not really referring to Mint old knives,just ones in good condition,not refurbed
A guy once told me,"the good thing about vintage knives is that most are used,so using them a bit will not really hurt thier value" I don't know how true that is,but just think about that
An older knife dealer told me,before the days of the internet,one could go to a show & see plenty & reasonable
But via the internet,collectors have "gobbled" up a lot,and now there is fewer
And,to go on some auction sites,bidders who really do not know what they are bidding on (that could be me,lol) kinda drive up prices
I certainly am no authority on this,I look & listen.But I certainly am in awe of some knives I see , with a little common knowledge of thier condition and current value,it just amazes me
The current issue of Knife World (Thanks Mike & Tony for the intro)has some gorgeous Case knives in there.
I just gotta hand it to serious collectors of the old knives.It's like an elite division of knife lovers
-Vince

Vince,

What I meant was that with all of the fakes and highly buffed knives out there today it's hard to find good old knives, even aside of the mint ones. Some people today think old knives need to shine like fishing lures, which must work because there are suckers who buy them.

Mike,Good point & so true
In Jan's issue of Knife World,thank you,lol In the letters to the editor,there is a great letter from a reader who is in appreciation of Bernard Levine's colum & he speaks of "cleaned" or buffed,vs. un buffed vintage knives
Just shows just some of the characters in knives, these vintage knife collectors want
-Vince

That is a beautiful collection. Thanks for sharing those. Good used condition.... and not refurbished is the key IMO. I like the look of a well cared for old knife.

Back