Pictures here! On the Bench

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
7eld8uv.jpg

Last edited:
it's been about a week, and I'm finally kicking this covid. I got to spend a little time in the shop today and roughed in some BLOOD GROOVES, and got another round of grinding done on these five little knives;

RfhIQX4.jpg

0quRen2.jpg

pretty tuckered out now, though. I figure I'm running at about 70%, and tomorrow or the next day I should be back to my old tricks. Not a big fan of lying around on the couch all day, I'm much happier in my shop!

I don't know how far along this one is. My eyes are hoping it will finish with a crisper bevel transition towards the tip. I'm sure whatever you are planning will look cool, so I'm looking forward to it.
you and me both, lol! This picture is not great and you can see it's pretty blurry in that area, so it's a little better than it looks in the photo

But now I've gotten it mostly finished to 400 grit and that transition is nice and crisp, but I'm having a really hard time getting a nice even finish. I keep getting these little stutters that are driving me crazy. I've had this problem before and there's something funky about my technique which keeps cropping up. It's a tiny knife with some very weird, opposing planes, so it's pretty challenging anyway

If I had to wrestle with it, I'd probably start with some EDM stones. They have worked for me with the swedge before. It seems harder for me to stay crisp with sandpaper.

yeah, I think it's time I invested. I do a lot of hand work, and while sandpaper is tough to replace for some things, those would definitely make my life easier for other things

I used to dread turning pins down, but having done it so many times with random pin stock I have lying around, I've learned to enjoy it!
Most especially when I end up with near perfect tolerances. Precision is like an aphrodisiac
u5uDQU9.jpg

Back