One Man, One Knife, How long can I last?

The first week is the hardest. I've been carrying only my SAK tinker for about 4-5 weeks now, which got considerably less difficult after the first 7 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be a bit of an experiment. A true EDC

I am not a collector, but I will admit that GEC is really pushing that to the limits.

I really like the look of knives/gear as it forms a patina and ages and changes over time.

I just got my No15 Cap lifter in ebony about a week ago and its all i have carried since. I want to try and see how long I can go with no other pocket knives besides this.

I do hike and camp a lot, usually my outdoors knife is a Victorinox farmer (I do a lot of canoe trips and stainless is nice) but that fall is in full effect here in Canada those trips are done.

I will attempt to use this knife from everything indoors to outdoors and everything in between. I will post updates here as time progresses showing patina and wear.

Here are a few pictures showing the knife as new.

I will try and update this thread weekly or so with pictures and progress, wish me luck!

That is an admirable quest that you are starting out on . My guess that it will last until you see another one that you know looks better and you just have to have it.
You do know that GEC is going to do a run of 74's don't you ????
But have a go at it and good luck.

Harry

That is an admirable quest that you are starting out on . My guess that it will last until you see another one that you know looks better and you just have to have it.
You do know that GEC is going to do a run of 74's don't you ????
But have a go at it and good luck.

Harry

Haha my advantage is that I am in Canada so $100 US is over $130plus shipping etc so it's not quite as cheap. A clip point ebony cap lifter 15 night be the only thing that would make me think twice

I made it 7 years with one knife before I got into knives. Since then the longest I've gone is about two months from August until just a couple weeks ago with a Queen 49. I carried a Tidioute 23 for over a year, but carried others alongside it. I think you can go as long as you wish. Like Harry said, the biggest obstacle will be other knives looking pretty, not the 15 being inadequate for any tasks.

I'm also following your journey on instagram! Good luck buddy...hahaha. I have a yellow jigged bone cap lifter on the way!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I was a one knife guy for many years!! Then...I starting hanging out here:rolleyes:

Good luck!

I have faith in you. I have faith in you because I can do this, too, if I want. I usually do. The problem I run into is that, when I only carry one knife, then I get this voice in my head that says, "well sell everything else that you're not carrying, because you'd rather have the money." Then I have all this money, and it often wants to be spent on knives.

"The man who sells his knife receives money. He spends the money; then he has nothing. He who keeps his knife, always has a knife."

Apologies to the wise old motorcycle tramp who coined this adage with respect to motorcycles.

Haha my advantage is that I am in Canada so $100 US is over $130plus shipping etc so it's not quite as cheap. A clip point ebony cap lifter 15 night be the only thing that would make me think twice

What part of Canada are you from?

One Man, One Knife, How long can I last?

That's going to depend on you.

From about the late 70's to the early 90's I carried the same knife every day. But I didn't own a great many pocket knives from which to choose. In those days carrying a knife was just a daily occurrence for me, as opposed to a hobby as it is now. So it wasn't any big thing to carry the same knife.

These days I rarely carry the same knife for more than a week at a time. And sometimes I change knives as I go through the day...because I can.

When day at a time, friend, one day at a time. LOL. This should be interesting:thumbup:

To answer your question, yes, I think it's possible... if you look at that knife, then every other knife out there lacking in some way, it's kind of natural I think.

Be careful what you wish for though - I used to be heavily into(modern) knives in the early 2000s, and was gifted a Sebenza as a college graduation gift (CR is local - I used to work across the street from his shop). I'd never really looked into their knives because of the price and the sort of plain appearance. Anyway, I got it, and carried it once, it went well, I carried it again. And again. And again... Finally without any thought or commitment, a year or so had gone by and I realized I hadn't carried any of my other knives. When I'd look at all of them, the Sebenza was just the only one my hand would gravitate toward. I eventually sold all my knives that didn't have sentimental value, forgot my forum logins and went from a knife nut to just a regular dude with a pocket knife. I lost it after a decade of "true" EDC back in 2013 which has brought me to traditionals, back to forums, etc. Pretty rough, I carried it at every event in my life for 10 years, graduation, meeting my wife, marrying my wife, two kids being born, etc... For me, finding "the one" moved to just not caring about it anymore and effectively took me out of the hobby.

I'm battling with that now, actually. I put this "Newtimer" together back in June, a linerless, single blade, shadow pattern 33OT. It weighs 1/2 an ounce, provides a four finger grip, is completely unnoticeable in the pocket but is very sturdy and has held up perfectly for four months now and just goes ahead and cuts anything that needs cutting. I set out 3-5 pocket knives every day to carry the next day and all but a handful of times since June I've grabbed this in lieu of everything else. I could see falling into this one the same as I did with the Sebenza, but the question on my mind is, do I want to give up this hobby again? Just food for thought :)

Attachments

• Newtimer.jpg
    Newtimer.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 80
I'd say you are going to carry that knife until you need a blade with some belly. i.e. a clip blade due to the limitations that the sheep/wharnie provide. Of course the curved blades have their limitations that only the sheep/wharnies excel at, so then people may realize they would like one of both, in the same frame.............just playing, I enjoy reading everyone's comments and look forward to seeing how long you can "hold-out".

I did this a lot and every time I cut down I managed to keep it smaller than the cycle before. I went from a lot of knives to a lot less. I still have too damn many.

too damn many should never be said with knives lol....cheap ones, expensive ones, big ones, small ones, folding ones, fixed ones

To answer your question, yes, I think it's possible... if you look at that knife, then every other knife out there lacking in some way, it's kind of natural I think.

Be careful what you wish for though - I used to be heavily into(modern) knives in the early 2000s, and was gifted a Sebenza as a college graduation gift (CR is local - I used to work across the street from his shop). I'd never really looked into their knives because of the price and the sort of plain appearance. Anyway, I got it, and carried it once, it went well, I carried it again. And again. And again... Finally without any thought or commitment, a year or so had gone by and I realized I hadn't carried any of my other knives. When I'd look at all of them, the Sebenza was just the only one my hand would gravitate toward. I eventually sold all my knives that didn't have sentimental value, forgot my forum logins and went from a knife nut to just a regular dude with a pocket knife. I lost it after a decade of "true" EDC back in 2013 which has brought me to traditionals, back to forums, etc. Pretty rough, I carried it at every event in my life for 10 years, graduation, meeting my wife, marrying my wife, two kids being born, etc... For me, finding "the one" moved to just not caring about it anymore and effectively took me out of the hobby.

I'm battling with that now, actually. I put this "Newtimer" together back in June, a linerless, single blade, shadow pattern 33OT. It weighs 1/2 an ounce, provides a four finger grip, is completely unnoticeable in the pocket but is very sturdy and has held up perfectly for four months now and just goes ahead and cuts anything that needs cutting. I set out 3-5 pocket knives every day to carry the next day and all but a handful of times since June I've grabbed this in lieu of everything else. I could see falling into this one the same as I did with the Sebenza, but the question on my mind is, do I want to give up this hobby again? Just food for thought :)

Warning taken, I doubt I'm going to hold out 10 years but I'll take your advice none the less. Thank you

I'd say you are going to carry that knife until you need a blade with some belly. i.e. a clip blade due to the limitations that the sheep/wharnie provide. Of course the curved blades have their limitations that only the sheep/wharnies excel at, so then people may realize they would like one of both, in the same frame.............just playing, I enjoy reading everyone's comments and look forward to seeing how long you can "hold-out".

I hear you, my perfect combo would be this knife for day to day activities and then the same knife with a clip blade which would be beers for outdoors food prep etc. I do love how easy it is to maintain the esge on a strop

That's an outstanding knife! I don't blame you for wanting to truly use it as an EDC. Those barehead ebony scales are outstanding and the blade selection is ideal. Very useful and practical.

Gosh now you've got me liking that knife! I'll have to keep an eye out for one just like that, it's one I'd like I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to your updates, this is a fun thread to follow.

Back