One more question about True-oil and Boiled linseed oil.

Cotton, flur, grain dust in the air - all samey same. The right distribution, plenty of oxygen, a good spark = KABOOM.

What's it got to do with sheep?

Guess I'm odd man out as I don't use the tung oil based stuff such as tru-oil or the sheep. This is Nebraska and they don't have those velcro covered cows around here!:D I just use the linseed oil and it works fine for me. The tung oil stuff can leave a glossy finish if desired. Don't know about the sheep.

I weas hoping somebody would connect cottonseed oil and frying lambchops - I was raised in cattle country, and lambchops were considered toxic.

My first stocks were finished with boiled linseed oil, and turp for a thinner. Later, a friend taught me the fancier finishing with a commercial product called Linspeed. They were bought up by a conglomerate and became GB Linspeed - the conglomerate began supplying the ingredients for the mix from other holdings, and the product suffered. Later, I ran across Tru Oil and some of the others.

Linseed oil, as Bro says, can cloud. Depends on the mixture and additives. Raw, it makes a very tough finish for tool handles and is a fine sealer. The later preparations have more oils, penetrants and brightners, and bring out the grain to a greater degree.

I just stripped a set of old S&W grips, which were hot-dipped and then buffed at the factory. The oil was linseed, and brought out the colors very nicely. After two coats of Tru Oil, the colors show just a bit more, but the grain patterns are much more visible, and there is "movement", as you turn the wood in the light. Linseed may have the edge for durability, but not a lot. If you really want to see what's inside the grain, the newer finishes are better.

Originally posted by hoghead
The tung oil stuff can leave a glossy finish if desired. Don't know about the sheep.

OK, Now I'm confused...so what type of finish would the sheep leave?..I'm betting a "Maaaaaaaaaaatt" one:rolleyes: !

-Craig

Back