One Stick, No Knife Firebow

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
The recent “quest for fire” threads have inspired me to do a little quest of my own. Thanks for the challenge, guys!

I had intended to do a “one stick wonder” fire and headed out the door to fetch a branch from the park across the street. As I pranced (like a proud stallion) across the lawn I saw the walking stick I had made for my son last fall. I had warned him about leaving that thing in the middle of the grass! Branch found!!!

I reached for my pocket knife but it wasn’t there…. Back into the house, I started… but wait…. What if I had to make due with what I had on me…. NOTHING?

Okay…..THIS was going to be fun.

Here is the walking stick. About 4’tall, index finger dia at its thickest… poplar, I think.
IMG_0040.jpg

I snapped the first bit off that was to be the hearth. I split it in two and was going to bind it together for the 2stick fireboard method.
IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

But then I noticed the split in the walking stick and thought. “Hey, what if I wedged something in there to simulate the notch?”… cooool. I made a wedge from one of the halves and slid it in the split. I would have to bind the staff to keep it from splitting all the way down. This would also use less cordage than binding the 2stick fireboard.
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

IMG_0045-1.jpg

… continued…

Last edited:
Okay, I cheated and used my shoelace instead of natural cordage… I was feeling lazy. I needed to cut it so I grabbed a piece of gravel from the driveway.
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

I snapped a piece out that would be my spindle. How do you sharpen a spindle without a knife? Well you could find a rock and sand it down instead. Not exactly a naturally occurring rock formation but you get the idea.
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

… continued…

This is what I had left of the staff and I still needed a bow and bearing block.
IMG_0058.jpg

A couple snaps later, I had my bow. I decided to use one of the other pieces as the bearing block.
IMG_0059.jpg

I needed to string the bow with my remaining cordage. I split the end, knotted the shoelace and attached it.
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062-1.jpg

The bottom of the spindle would seat itself in the fireboard split but I needed to carv a divot in the bearing block. Back to the driveway for tools!
IMG_0063.jpg

I chewed up a couple leaves of plantain to serve as lubricant for the bearing.
IMG_0064.jpg

… continued…

And away we go!!.....
My daughter agreed to take one picture of me using the set, then ran back into the house to watch “Indiana Jones”.
IMG_0065.jpg

About 10mins later I had a coal. It’s hard to see, but there’s smoke in that thar hole!
IMG_0066-1.jpg

IMG_0066-1-1.jpg

I had a lot of fun doing this… it was about an hour from start to finish.

Thanks for reading.
Rick

IMG_0067.jpg

Dude, you are badass. If I was stuck in that situation in the wild, I'd sit, cry for my mommy, and freeze to death.

In a tight situation, MacGyver could make a fire with a stick and a paperclip.

Rick doesn't need the paperclip. :cool:

Oh - I see Rick - I use a knife - and you have to one up me... Looks like I will have to do this next... No problems...

TF

Good stuff man! That's a great tutorial for lots of reasons. I'll have to get off my duff and try that myself.

Oh - I see Rick - I use a knife - and you have to one up me... Looks like I will have to do this next... No problems...

TF

Actually, I three uped ya.... I don't use a knife... I make everything from the same stick. Bow, bearing and all. (smaller I might add)... AND I have pictures to prove I'm not a big bald liar!:grumpy:

Oh yeah.... its been broughten!!:p

Rick

That split stick approach for the wedge is awesome. I definitely want to try that! Really cool stuff. It is a bit ironic that the knifemaker finds himself without a knife and shows that you don't need one of those pointy sharp things for the very thing we think we need a pointy sharp thing the most!

Great stuff Rick. I wish I could have been there to take pictures of your coal smoking away!

cool rick, thats a neat way to do it! I've tried the no knife thing with two pieces of Yucca and then a spindle for a hand drill and have had great results

Back