Off Topic Ontario Sp1! Is this normal?

Greetings! I have recently purchased an ontario Sp1 and the factory edge is sharpened in a weird way.The fact that it is not razor sharp does not matter since i sharpen it myself. The problem is that the point is sharpened to the right in a strange way and not perfectly straight.I think the term is tapered to the right.There is also a problem with the straight part of the edge. it s not straight but a bit concave. I would upload photos if i could. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Pictures would help. Use a photo hosting site like imgur or postimg

Pictures would help. Use a photo hosting site like imgur or postimg
url=https://postimg.cc/KRkdR5Ft]
thumbnail.jpg
[/url]

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, QC issue. Whoever ground that didn't notice they didn't grind both sides the same.

I would, if you want to fix it rather than return it, use something like a lansky or wicked edge and reset the bevel and it would be fine.

If you don't want to do that, return it.

unfortunately I own many ontarios and many are poorly done. so pretty common to have different angles per side, but that one is pretty extreme. that isn't normal. gonna take some work to fix it. id return and hope for one better.

Thanks guys! I think i will return it. I don t really have enough experience to remedy that. I can sharpen on wet stone but i m not so confident with this that i will make it look decent. What would you change this for at a similar price? All i expect is a decent steel and a straight edge. I doesn t have to be razor sharp.

Thanks guys! I think i will return it. I don t really have enough experience to remedy that. I can sharpen on wet stone but i m not so confident with this that i will make it look decent. What would you change this for at a similar price? All i expect is a decent steel and a straight edge. I doesn t have to be razor sharp.

Let us know how the customer service is. With a grind like that and those pictures I am sure that they will probably send you a whole new knife. Like others have said it is a "fixable" issue but really not something you should have to do to a brand new knife that you didnt get on a deep discount as a factory second for QC issues.

If that doesnt work, you could contact Ontario directly. With an error like that it really shouldnt matter where you bought it from, that is clearly a massive issue with the manufacturing process.
I'd doubt Ontario would do anything with a knife bought from a Romanian dealer, but maybe if the dealer is of no help then that is the only other option.

The Ontario SP series knives are relatively inexpensive and that type grind happens.

With a file and a decent course stone that is an easy fix.
Better yet a belt grinder would do the trick also just avoid overheating.

I have the SP-5 Bowie and it is an incredible sub 50 dollar knife.

The Ontario SP series knives are relatively inexpensive and that type grind happens.

With a file and a decent course stone that is an easy fix.
Better yet a belt grinder would do the trick also just avoid overheating.

You are correct. However he doesn't have the experience. When the problem comes up, I use a Harbor Freight belt sander. Don't overheat. Just a warning for new people who sharpen knives - don't sharpen the tip. Don't run it through an electric grinder - stop and pull the knife before reaching the tip. I have restored broken tips using a belt sander - it would simply take off too much material on just sharpening.

I had to return an sp10 raider bowie earlier this year .
Looking down the spine the tip was shaped badly to the left .
A wonky uneven swedge grind .
A pretty inexpensive big knife but not good enough for me to keep .
As for fixing a knife straight out the box , no thanks .
The place i use has no problems with returns so all good .

I got an sp1 one time, and half the blade wasn't even sharpened. The edge was still flat. I sent it back. Get a Kabar. My Dogs Head came out of the box nearly perfect. The tip was slightly off. Nothing a few minutes with a coarse stone couldn't fix.

I'd doubt Ontario would do anything with a knife bought from a Romanian dealer, but maybe if the dealer is of no help then that is the only other option.

I dont know what their policy is but many places it wont matter where you buy it from so long as it is a problem that was caused by the factory and not in the storage or shipping process.

Back