Ontario's SP series, past and present...

1zoeo46.png

SP-53 Bolo Knife
(A Gen2 series model)

OVERALL LENGTH
15.1 in (38.4 cm)
LOCK TYPE Fixed
HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
EDGE TYPE Plain
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN United States of America
HANDLE COLOR Black
BLADE GRIND Flat Bevel/Saber Grind
BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
BLADE COLOR Black
BLADE THICKNESS 0.250 in (0.635 cm)
BLADE MATERIAL 5160 Carbon Steel
BLADE LENGTH 10.1 in (25.7 cm)
HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
SHEATH COLOR Black
SHEATH TYPE MOLLE Compatible

Last edited:
I have noticed, as many of you likely have too, that the the original Gen1 series has not only immensely shrunk in the line's offerings, but that it also has not seen a new addition for quite some time. The same can be said for the Gen2 series... It also having shrunk in offerings, and nothing added in quite some time.
It would seem that the best years for these two series may be pretty much behind us, and that we can only hope that what is left of these two lines, remain for the foreseeable future. OKC recently came out with an SP Alpha series, but in my opinion, it won't likely spark the interest that the former two SP series did, (again, just my opinion).
Toooj recently stated that the OKC company has recently been putting a focus on kitchen knives and such, and although I don't believe they are out of the commercial Bushcrafting and Tactical medium/large fixed blade knife/tool game, it certainly looks like it may be diminishing. It will be interesting to see where OKC's aim takes them in the near future. They need to stay alive, and of course whatever direction they take, I hope they remain ahead of the curve enough to keep them going as one of the few old cutlery companies remaining in the USA :)

We would love to see them continue to make these lines we love so much, but I totally understand that they have to keep aiming towards whatever will keep their doors open and their workers busy.
Survival in business is all in the numbers... Nature of the beast.

Last edited:
2m5jqc9.jpg

The SPEC PLUS Alpha Series includes the new SP-A Survival Knife and the SP-A Machete.

The SP-A Survival Knife is an update on OKC’s popular SP-2 Survival Knife. This full-skeleton tang fixed-blade knife is made from high-carbon steel and a new ergonomically molded, thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) grip. The SP-A has an overall length of 10.19-inches (25.88CM) with a 5-inch (12.70CM) blade.The blade has a hardness rating of 57-59HRC and a phosphate coating.

The SP-A Machete is designed as a versatile all-purpose tool and is an updated version of the popular SP-8 Survival Machete. The SP-A Machete has a full-skeleton tang, phosphate-coated, high-carbon steel blade with a full-length flat bevel and a secondary flat bevel. Like the SP-A Survival Knife, it features the new ergonomically molded TPE handle. It measures 12.19-inches (30.96CM) overall length with a 7.00-inch (17.78CM) blade. It holds a 57-59HRC hardness rating.

I am going to guess that the steel used on these two latest knives is the same 1075 that OKC switched to for the SP Gen1 series. If that's the case, they should prove to be pretty tough knives.

As for the SP-A (Alpha) Machete... Although it may follow the SP-8 Survival Machete in profile, it surely does not follow it in it's overall size. I have a hard time considering it a Machete. A knife based on the SP-8 Machete?... Sure! But, the SP-A Machete being classified as an actual machete?... Umm, well, even the SP-8 Machete's size was questionable on that, so this one even more so. Oh well, it's OKC's product, and they have the right to call it whatever they want! So... SP-A "Machete" it is! ;)

There being the original SP series that is sometimes referred to as Gen1, (after the official Gen2 line appeared), I guess the new Alpha series could unofficially be referred to as the SP Gen3 series ;)

Last edited:
2irkaz7.jpg

Ontario SPS-21 Navy Mark 1

Discontinued

9 1/2 inches overall with a 440A stainless steel 4 3/4 inch blade.

Tang marked Ontario USA on one side and Spec Plus Mark 1 SPS 21-95 on the other side.

The handle is black kraton polymer.

Stainless pommel.

Black leather/nylon sheath.

Oops, sorry, I had already included this one in :)
Oh well, here it is again! ;)

Last edited:
23ll43k.jpg

SP-52 (from the Gen2 series)

Very similar to the SP-53, except lighter, due to it being a full flat grind blade, rather than the saber grind done on the SP-53.

Discontinued

OVERALL LENGTH
15.1 in (38.4 cm)
LOCK TYPE Fixed
HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
EDGE TYPE Plain
HANDLE COLOR Black
BLADE GRIND Full Flat Taper
BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
BLADE COLOR Black
BLADE THICKNESS 0.250 in (0.635 cm)
BLADE LENGTH 10.1 in (25.7 cm)
HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
SHEATH COLOR Black
SHEATH TYPE MOLLE Compatible, nylon material

2i3drn.jpg

SP-54 (from the Gen2 series)

Discontinued

OVERALL LENGTH 8.5 in (21.6 cm)
LOCK TYPE Fixed
HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
EDGE TYPE Plain
HANDLE COLOR Black
BLADE GRIND Flat Bevel w/ Secondary Flat Bevel
BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
BLADE COLOR Black
BLADE THICKNESS 0.165 in (0.419 cm)
BLADE LENGTH 3.8 in (9.7 cm)
HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
SHEATH COLOR Black
SHEATH TYPE Belt Loop

I see the SP Gen2 line as having brought in higher quality manufacturing processes for the series, and a tougher grade of carbon steel. I also see it as having brought in some more hard use outdoor knives. But, on the other side of things, I also see the Gen2 as having brought mostly blandness in their styling.

On the other hand, the original SP series, (Gen1), brought in all sorts of new uniqueness and style to what were mostly old proven knife/tool designs. In my opinion, it was a very interesting and exciting series.

As for the new Spec Plus (SP) Alpha series... Well, too early to tell, but thus far... Ehh! ;) Hey, it is a forum, and discussions will lead to some opinions ;)

Last edited:
1j2qeq.jpg

SP-47 (from Gen2 series)

Discontinued
  • Folding or Fixed Blade: Fixed, Saber Grind
  • Blade Steel: 5160 High Carbon
  • Handle Material: Kraton
  • Blade Shape: Drop Point
  • Serrated: No
  • Carry Options: Belt Sheath
  • Blade Finish: Black Powder Coat
  • Rockwell Hardness: 53-55 HRC
  • Blade length: 6"
  • Blade Thickness: 0.2"
  • Overall Length: 11"
  • Weight: 11.2 oz
  • Proudly Made in the USA

13yhuma.jpg

SP-X Machete

(Recent model offering)

Black Kraton handle material

15.1" length blade

Satin finished 420hc stainless steel

OKC model # 48332 OKC

This one is a very new model offering, and I am not sure if it has actually hit dealer shelves yet. In any case, it does fall into the Ontario Spec Plus (SP) catagory

Tinypic has removed the images, so if we want to save this thread, it's up to us to post new pics.

Here's the SP-1

53tnkp.jpg

53todz.jpg

[QUOTE="PocketKnifeJimmy]

SP-18 Frontiersman

This one is now long discontinued. Ontario Knife Company had a short stint collaboration with famous Custom Bowie maker, Bill Bagwell. During that time, Ontario put out a line of factory produced renditions of some of Mr. Bagwell's most popular models. Ontario also offered this SP-18 Frontiersman, which had a blade very much inspired by Mr. Bagwell's style.[/QUOTE]

53tqlo.jpg

Last edited:
53tpbh.jpg

SP-6 Fighter/Fighting

Factory specs:
OVERALL LENGTH 13.0 in (32.9 cm)
LOCK TYPE Fixed
HARDNESS 57-59 HRC
EDGE TYPE Plain
HANDLE COLOR Black
BLADE GRIND Flat Bevel w/ Secondary Flat Bevel
BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
BLADE COLOR Black
BLADE THICKNESS 0.188 in (0.478 cm)
BLADE MATERIAL 1095 Carbon Steel (likely 1075 in more recent manufacture)
BLADE LENGTH 7.9 in (20.1 cm)
HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®

This one has some cool history.
Called their "Fighting" knife for a reason, since Paul Tsujimoto, (Toooj), designed it using the Randall Fighter knife as his inspiration for this blade's style/shape.
What else is so cool about it?... It is the basis for the later OKC Freedom Fighter knife, the OKC Chimera knife, and the basis for the US Marine Corps OKC3S bayonet. Yup, the SP-6 is the basis and Grandaddy of these other OKC knives :)

Ontario no longer sharpens the top swedge on this model knife, but they used to. They stopped doing so to meet all the different knife laws throughout the US. Some States consider the sharpened swedge as being illegal because it becomes like a dagger, (double edged).
Anyhow, either way, it's still a neat and serious business knife! :)

53tpyz.jpg

6yjzaa.jpg

Last edited:
53txmq.jpg

Wait, nothing new added to the list this morning!?... Well, we really shouldn't have that. So, here is one more for the list, (in hopes it will entice others to participate by adding more models in)...

Yes, this one is another discontinued SP knife, (so many are), one that I only wish were still available from OKC.

SP32 STEALTH PATROL KNIFE

MADE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1095 High Carbon Steel
Black epoxy finish
57-58 RC blade hardness
4-1/2" blade length
9-3/4" overall length
1/4" blade thickness
Handle: Kraton
Leather/Cordura Combination sheath

Now, I have no idea if all these specifications I find online are totally accurate... But, if this knife was truly made and offered with a 1/4" thick blade... WOW! That is one tough cookie in this style of knife! :)
I would gladly accept a pristine condition specimen of this model as a gift... And, of course, thank you in advance for being so kind! :)

It's hard to believe the SP line was so immense, and that it has dwindled to just a few available models :(
Obviously, it's all about the numbers. If a model keeps the guys and gals busy on the OKC production line in Franklinville NY, the model stays in production... Otherwise, it's chopping block time, and another DoDo Bird situation occurs.

In this photo I found online, one can see where this particular knife has it's kraton handle marked near the guard area with, (what I believe to be), a number 2. In any case, this small branding is done at the factory if the product is to be sold as a blemished/2nd quality.

53ty1d.jpg

Last edited:
555a7p.jpg

SP-12 Tanto 6
(the 6 in it's name for it's 6" blade length)

Discontinued

Kraton polymer handle
1095 black epoxy coated carbon steel blade
Black Cordura and leather belt sheath with leg tie
Fixed 6" blade
Overall length: 11-1/8"
Handle Color: Black
Blade Edge: plain
Blade Type: tanto point

Back