Operation Rolling Thunder . . . . Rages On!!!

I personally think that you would sell more if you just opened the custom shop and let people ordered exactly what they wanted.
There are a few I would buy, but to spend big $$ it would have to be exactly what I want. Same reason I never buy grab bags.
I know for some it's a fun way of doing things... just not for me , I have to really like something to buy it.

Last edited:
Custom Shop did a wonderful job on that handle you know.

Someone put alot of detail in the handle shaping, that is for sure! The whole knife has been finely tuned up. The jimping/handle interaction is chunky and buttery.

It's my first HG55 so I don't have alot to compare it against. I'd like to get my paws on another now, that is for sure... LOL

Who’s going to buy the GLOAB?

I’m assuming those scales glow in the dark.

I personally think that you would sell more if you just opened the custom shop and let people ordered exactly what they wanted.
There are a few I would buy, but to spend big $$ it would have to be exactly what I want. Same reason I never buy grab bags.
I know for some it's a fun way of doing things... just not for me , I have to really like something to buy it.
While I too would love to see the custom shop open back up, I don't think it's as lucrative as you might think (and I don't think Busse is particularly concerned with selling more, I bet they sell most of what they make).

Think of it from manufacturing perspective : while each item is a bigger ticket item most likely, it's also a huge time suck taking much longer to make each one as each has to be custom designed and then custom fixturing made to accommodate their production. Maybe not for every piece, but a lot.

So while each piece may cost more, you're also making a whole lot less of them as they take so much longer per piece. Overall, the money is in the larger scale production runs like they've been doing. Production runs keeps costs down and your margins increase as volumes go up.

This Operation Rolling Thunder and offering custom shop models of current and discontinued models is a nice way to sort of bridge that gap. They get to appeal to those who want some rare custom stuff that may not be in production any longer while still being able to captilize on and utilize previous designs and fixturing saving them the slow down of a fully customer designed piece which never existed before.

Reopening the custom shop (and dealing with all the business I'm sure it'd generate) would likely require its own entire line of dedicated resources to not slow down the current pace of products coming out.

Back