1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Opinel, new ring, with problems, so better buy a few of the old ones, if you can still find them.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jacktrades_nbk, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Agreed, Opinel should have left it alone. But they still cut like the dickens.

I think of it like the Ruger Mark III. The Mark II was better before the “improvements”, but the Mark III is still pretty darn good, and it is not too hard to undo the damage and make it work like the Mark II.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    The Zieg likes this.
  2. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Hard to know for sure, Opinel has spun this change as an enhancement, but has not told us what's better about it.

To quote Carl
    So, my theory for the reason of the change is that because knives with locking blades are illegal in several European countries (including France), Opinel has lessened the locking mechanism to make them essentially non-locking.

Pomsbz and Prester John like this.
  3. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    LOL!

4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Won't be buying any new ones.

5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I never thought of that. In the UK for example the law says that a locking knife is defined by "have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button". The Opinel is then technically ok because it's not a button. But I wouldn't want to try that argument in court! If you then add the fact that it isn't actually fully locking as well, it might be enough to make it legal carry. I would have to check the law again over here but I believe it's similar, a knife lock is defined (weirdly) by the mechanism used to deactivate it (button or spring) rather than the locking mechanism itself.

I'd hate to be able to carry an Opinel as EDC legally though. I'm not sure I could justify anything more expensive again. :D My EDC uses are mainly packaging and food and that Opinel blade is all you could ever need for either purpose.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    NirreBosse likes this.
  6. rogatsby

rogatsby Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I think some of the criticism of the "new" lock ring is an overreaction. I have some new Opinels with the new lock rings. I have not modified any of them. And they are all very secure and solid. No blade play in any direction, and extremely solid lock up both closed and open. Here is a pic of a #6 and its lock ring. Would I trust this lock with my fingers' lives? No. But that would be true for any folder. BTW, the larger knives in the set in the background (the 9, 10, and 12) have the old lock ring. And I don't perceive any noticeable difference in security. Whatever the case, the Opinel lock ring, both new and old, seem fine to me, and are probably more secure than a lot of the frame and liner locks on really expensive modern "tactical" folders (e.g., ZT :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Wow! I'm a huge fan of Opinel, with about 15 of them in the collection. Yet I did not know about a new-new version, nor any controversy.
    I was happy with the last design change, the one that finally prevented their knives from opening in my pocket.

8. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    The ones you show in the photo do not include the change made that people are reacting to in this discussion. This is the lock ring before its most recent change.

9. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015
    Nope, that’s the new one. Only one ramp on the top of the collar. Not shown is the dimple on the back side, but the new ones are the only ones That limit you to one direction on an open blade.

NirreBosse likes this.
  10. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I have couple new ones and bunch of the old ones,and do not have any problem with new style of collar,solid lockup,but you can still find old style versions.

NirreBosse likes this.
  11. rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    That is most definitely the new ring. Look again.

12. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    The newest version has this square indent in the outer locking collar, which rides in a slot cut into the inner collar limiting the rotation of the ring:

It is visible just to the left of the Made in France stamping, blending in a bit with zolthar's reflection in the photo. This is the source of the problem.

13. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Sorry, I didn't see the square indent in the photo you posted. It looks to be one from the penultimate version, without the square indent which limits the rotation of the lock ring (see photo above).

14. rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    Yes, and my new Opinels with that new ring have no problems. They lock up fine. See my photo above.

NirreBosse likes this.
  15. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Perhaps that's why I missed it, thanks!

16. rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    It's not the "penultimate" version. It's the new version. And lock up is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NirreBosse and Grateful like this.
  17. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Good! Perhaps they have tweaked it now, and only the initial run was not right. I may just give them another try at some point.

18. Henry Beige

Jun 1, 2015
    My guess is that a few are ill-fitted from new, while the majority lock up just fine. But because the new design limits the rotation of the ring, it is unable to compensate for wear, which might never become an issue if your Opinel sees only light use.

r8shell, Camillus and NirreBosse like this.
  19. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    ^^^^^
    This

20. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Fortunately I own too many Opinels so I won't have to deal with this issue (if it even is one).

Zieg