Opinion of this Color

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Please let me know what y'all think of this color. Its the blocks on the right (curly Hickory), and the third from right (curly Maple) in the main row. If y'all like it I'll be putting it on a lot of knives. The curl, and the chattoyance is fantastic.

wood102_1705-vi.jpg

wood102_1706-vi.jpg

wood102_1707-vi.jpg

wood102_1709-vi.jpg

Lovely lumber Andy!
Sign me up for a Bushboot clad in the curly maple if possible.
many thanks

Lovely lumber Andy!
Sign me up for a Bushboot clad in the curly maple if possible.
many thanks

OK. Send me an e-mail to: Andy at fiddlebackforge dot com , and summarize what you want.

I think it's a winner. Great figure and would look very well on your knives.

Charlie

Curly maple is always a win! I'm not really familiar with curly hickory, but I like the sound it!

I like the Curly Maple, the Curly Hickory isn't bad, but not as nice as the Maple. :)

I think the curly maple is a winner as well, the curl is a lot more striking to me. The curly Hickory looks a bit busy to me with the grain being more distinct, at least in that specific block.

I'm going to have to send you some curly Koa for one of my future knives from you, Andy. My uncle works in a Koa woodshop, and I saw some amazing chatoyancy in pieces he brought home to work on. Man, once in a while, he'd bring home some insanely striking fiddleback pieces.

Good stuff! :thumbup:

Curly Koa is gorgeous. Really one of the most spectacular woods around.

chatoyant | sh əˈtoi-ənt|
adjective
(of a gem, esp. when cut en cabochon) showing a band of bright reflected light caused by aligned inclusions in the stone.

I hope I'm not the only one to have to look it up!
I'm loving the chatoyance of the maple piece.

I like the Curly Maple, the Curly Hickory isn't bad, but not as nice as the Maple. :)

I agree.

I think you've also mentioned the koa ... yes, that is fantastic wood. If you can score some ... we'll buy it.:thumbup:

My own source dried up. The Hawaiian moved!:grumpy:

I agree.

I think you've also mentioned the koa ... yes, that is fantastic wood. If you can score some ... we'll buy it.:thumbup:

My own source dried up. The Hawaiian moved!:grumpy:

Haha, well OP, this Kanaka Maoli will probably be moving home sometime in the next few years...then maybe you'll have a new source :D :thumbup: Hell, I should check in now, see what's cookin back home...

Back