Opinion of this Color

If that Hickory is really straight grained, as it appears in the pic, I am not a huge fan of it. Oak is this way - I KNOW it makes great handle material - but looks like furniture on a knife.

If the picture is not revealing what you see in person Andy - then go with it.

THe Curly Maple is ALWAYS a winner - I LOVE that stuff.

TF

Andy,

What's not to like about those?

Is the curly maple stabilized? If not, then there are a number of oxidation recipes from the muzzleloading crowd that can really make those ZIP!

The Hickory is nice and curly. I was concerned that the color was too orange, but y'all have convinced me.

Back in elementary school, I helped plant Koa seedlings on the slopes of Mauna Loa. The school owns quite a bit of land, and they had set aside this area (ranch-land in its past life) for reforestation. Every year, the entire 5th or 6th grade takes a class field trip to the Big Island from Oahu, and a small group of students are selected after writing essays to go up the mountain to plant trees. The rest of the class goes on a hike to/in the crater. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to take part in the planting, because it is definitely one of the most treasured memories from my youth. We planted the seedlings in the native Hawaiian way too, with the ‘O’o stick and all. The experience was one of the few things approaching what I would call "spiritual". :)

Anyway, it’d be cool to see how those seedlings I planted have grown. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think it takes 15-20 years before you can harvest a Koa tree. If there was a way I could identify what area our group seeded, help harvest a tree (and replant another seedling in its place) from that area, get a nice bit of wood from it, and send it to Andy….now that would be an amazing full-circle experience.

ETA: I can't remember if this is the guy that taught us, but he does look familiar....
[youtube]_rQIjUbrS40[/youtube]

Back