Opinions on the HS-1 Honesteel?

Codger_64

I used to have one years ago, but it has become lost. I use the cheap little Gerber diamond hones now, but they delaminate and wear out pretty fast. I had a ceramic "crock stick" once, and I think I lost it at the same time. It worked fairly well and didn't excessively wear a blade.

I have been watching the HS-1's on Ebay and want to pick one up when the prices get more reasonable for them. Have you guys tried them? Like them? Hate them? Why? :confused:

Codger

Well, it worked for JHouston, so I guess it's worth a shot. Either no one knows about the honesteel, or no one cares, or all are being silent because they just paid $51.00 For one on Schradebay!

HELLO? lol!

Pretty much the same with me Larry. I keep four to six honesteels on my watch list most of the time, and sooner or later I'll nab one at a good price, probably to display with my OT fixed blades. Maybe UH Fan can tell us the coating that was used as an abrasive on them. Chromium Carbide?

While going through some stuff the other day I cam across my grandfather's honesteel. The leather sheath was not in the best shape but after working on it for a about an hour with leather cleaner and conditioner it looks pretty good. As for the steel, well I pulled it out of the sheath expecting the worst but was suprised. All I needed was to wipe it off with a dry cloth and it looks good as new. Must be some good steel. The honesteel and the sheath are marked Shrade Walden, Old Timer, Honesteel. It works great. I am curious about the button snap and the second hole in the steel (one hole is for the leather lanyard). On the backside of the snap is a protrusion that fits nicely in the hole when the steel is sheathed and snapped closed. This apparently keeps the steel from slipping out. It looks like if the sheath is place on the steel the other way with the long part of the steel sticking out, that the sheath forms a handle when snapped closed. Am I working this right? If so, it is pretty slick.

You are exactly right, Bauer. The sheath serves as a handle. I've never used one of them, but sold one on Ebay for $63 during the crazy days of the 'Big Schrade Buying Spree'.
Phil

I still do not have the definative answer on the composition of the Honesteel, but I did do a little bit of research, and this is what I found so far:

The Schrade HS1 Old Timer Honesteel appears in the 1973 Ellenville shortline catalog with two holes in the handle. The first, smaller hole is a thong (or lanyard) hole, the second larger round hole is for handle attachment when the Honesteel is reversed into the sheath.

It was listed in 1973 as HS1 Hone Steel, patent pending, and sold for $10.00 with sheath/handle and thong. In 1975 it is also called the HS1 Hone Steel, still pending, and sold for $11.00.

By 1980, the name was made one word, Honesteel, the thong hole had been eliminated, and the second hole made teardrop shaped to facilitate the thong while still allowing handle attachment, and the price was $15.00.

In 1988 the price was $20.95, $22.95 in 1989, and $24.95 in 1991, $25.95 in 1992. In the 1999 catalog it listed for $36.95, and the single hole for handle attachment was made round. The price was $37.95 in 2000, when it appeared alongside the new SK-1 diamond sharpener which sold for $9.99. Schrade dropped the HS1 Honesteel from the catalog in 2001, and from then until the closing, the SK-1 was the only hone offered by Schrade.

I know this is not much info, but my catalog library is sparse. Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Codger

I guess then mine is pre 1980 since both holes are round. By a quick look they appear to be identical in size but I went ahead and used a dial caliper and the top hole is about 0.012" smaller in diameter (0.262 vs 0.274).
The back part of the snap where the metal nob sticks out seems to fit either hole. Mine does not have the word "Honesteel" on the actual steel.
The steel itself just has engraved:

SCHRADE
HS-1 PAT. NO.
D-227,778

Which leads us to wonder how I knew the top hole was smaller since I do not have one of the "two holers" ( a reference to a certain facility only wealthy families posessed in the South during the early 1900's). It could either be a wild guess, a production engineer's keen eye, or it comes under the catchall heading of "hellifiknow". You choose. :D

C OO dger

PS- The Honesteel I have is the middle production teardrop hole and has SCHRADE HS1 Pat # D227,733" on it , so maybe they had several successive patents? The Hone Steel/ Honesteel reference is only the catalog nomenclature. Like the 15OT Deer Slayer/ Deerslayer. Just Schrade talk. I think all the sheaths I have seen had the Honesteel name as one word.

Gerber came out with their own version of Schrade's Honesteel, discontinued in 1992. They used a pivot screw so that the hone was held to a right angle to the sheath, added a a fish hook groove.

Gerber Sportsman Honing Steel
Gerber Product Number 1372

Key Features:
Diamond-coated surface
Multi-functional leather sheath
Product Description:
For years, the Sportsman's Honing Steel™ was one of the most popular sharpening tools on the market until it was retired in 1992. Continued consumer demand brought it out of retirement. The tool is forged from 0-1 tool steel with chromium carbide treatment. The surfaces are designed to put the first edge on a dull blade. The flat surface is used to hone the blade even sharper. The leather sheath is used for stropping to put the final edge on the blade. Added features include a groove for sharpening fish hooks and the end of the tool is shaped into a chisel edge.

Technical Specs:
Overall Length: 9.81''
Weight: 5.4 oz.
Sheath: Leather

Codger

I have some Gerber literature from the mid 1970's and the Gerber Sportmans's Steel is being advertised in 2 sizes, 5" and 8". I could be wrong but I believe the Gerber may have been on the market first.

Does anyone know if either of these, the Schrade or Gerber, were actually made in house by either company? I ask this because Klein Tools use to sell a sharpening steel identical to the old 5" Gerber's.

The schrade honesteels were the best on the market IMHO. I use one daily to sharpen my "users". Use the ez-lap diamond sharpener to quickly cut an edge and the schrade to smooth it down to a razor sharp edge

Alex, can you find a patent number for the Gerber hone? That will definately tell us who's on first. Schrade's was a design patent, not a utility patent, so it was for the shape and appearance, not the function.

Codger

No patent number at all on my Gerber that I can see other than the name GERBER engraved on one end near the swivel end.

It has been almost exactly two months since I first posted the question of Honesteels and I began delving into their production history. I still have not come up with definitive answers to a lot of questions, but I do understand better the time periods of their production, and the varients that were produced over the span of their manufacture. Here is what I have come up with so far with the help of Larry and others.

HS1 Honesteel Research

The Schrade HS1 Honesteel was a unique knife sharpener which came boxed with a sheath, leather thong, and use instruction sheet. According to the Schrade instructions, its uses are; General sharpening on most cutting tools, Cracking Deer Pelvis, Wood Splitting and as a fish "billy". Touted by Schrade as "The Lazy Mans way to Sharpen", they were designed to be used without the need for oil or wetting agent. The unique sheath is designed as a handle for easier sharpening.

The Honesteel was patented by Henry B. Baer (“Uncle Henry”), and assigned to Imperial Knife Associated Companies. The design patent was filed in June of 1971, and issued in July of 1973. The patent expired in 1984, fourteen years. The design claim allowed was “The ornamental design for a combination whetter and sheath”. The patent does not mention the tapered end, nor show the sheath deployed as a handle, or claim that it can be used as such. The patent drawings also show the finial as the bottom part of the female snap portion, though no claim for it’s use is mentioned. Neither is there mention of the honesteel’s surface texture or material, or uniqueness of it’s use. Those details would have been subject matter for a utility patent which evidently Henry’s patent attorney advised against, probably based on a search of prior utility patents. The patent issued July, 17, 1973 as #D-227733. The name “Honesteel” did not appear in the patent, where it was referred to as a “combination whetter and sheath”. “Honesteel” was a separate copyrighted trademark name.

The HS1 first appeared in the 1972 catalog with a stamp of SCHRADE - WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL over PAT. PEND. Most of these came in a “Schrade-Walden” stamped sheath. These early ones had a single face bevel, later changed to a double bevel. Patent Pending stamps are more commonly seen with the Schrade tang stamp, indicative of the patent issue after mid 1973 when Schrade Walden became Schrade Cutlery. The Schrade-Walden (and early Schrade) HS1 Old Timer Honesteel appears with two holes in the handle. The first, smaller hole (0.262), is a thong (or lanyard) hole. The second, larger round hole (0.274), is for handle attachment into the finial when the Honesteel is reversed into the sheath. The first thongs were tied in a square knot, or included loose in the box. Later it was permanently attached with a metal cylindrical clamp band near the joined ends.

The Honesteel was listed in the 1973 Schrade Cutlery catalog as HS1 Hone Steel, patent pending, and sold for $10.00 with sheath/handle and thong. In 1975 it is also called the HS1 Hone Steel (picture notes still pending, though this may have just been an oversight) and sold for $11.00 with sheath/handle and thong.
By 1980, the name in the catalog was made one word, Honesteel (as it always was when stamped on the tool), the thong hole had been eliminated, and the second hole made teardrop shaped to facilitate the included thong while still allowing handle attachment, and the price was $15.00. The thong was shown permanently attached with a metal clamp band. Since the Honesteel this was seen on was mint and complete in the brown woodgrain folding box with the accompanying paperwork, this was a factory installed item.

In 1988 the price was $20.95 (thong not illustrated now), $22.95 in 1989, and $24.95 in 1991, and $25.95 in 1992. In the 1999 catalog it listed for $36.95, and the single hole for handle attachment was made round. The price was $37.95 in 2000, when it appeared alongside the new SK-1 diamond sharpener which sold for $9.99. Schrade dropped the HS1 Honesteel from the catalog in 2001, and from then until the closing, the SK-1 was the only hone offered by Schrade.

The sheath style stayed the same for the full production period, though variations in finish paralleled those of production knife sheaths. I have one circa 1980's with a tan suede sheath. Most I have seen have been either smooth brown polished leather or natural undyed polished leather like the replacement knife sheaths. It is a rectangular tubular folded sewn sheath with a small rivet at each end of the brown or white stitching for reinforcement. A male stud (sometimes called a finial) affixed to the interior engages the hole in the Honesteel when the sheath is used as a handle, and a bifold lateral flap has male and female snap studs for closure. The back of the sheath is folded over the back and riveted with two small rivets midway down the sheath back forming a belt hanger. The first sheaths were stamped “SCHRADE-WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL”, though most of the sheaths seen are embellished with the identifying emboss "SCHRADE over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL"

The true composition of the Honesteel is, according to the included sheet, "high carbon cutlery steel" (I occasionally see one with rusted spots) and impregnated with chromium carbide. It seems to be several times harder than common steel, as I have never seen one worn out. They are seven inches long, 1" wide, and the end opposite the stamp and hole is tapered to a chisel shape, purportedly for splitting deer pelvis.

The aggressive surface texture is a modified file, striated lengthwise. It works well with most blade steels, but I find the handle contrivance to not be rigid enough to be of any help in actual use. Often when I see an older used unit, the back of the sheath shows signs of stropping, which is a good use. Schrade sold a good many of these over the years, and whether or not there were repeat customers for them, they are a useful tool. A set of the three main types makes for an interesting addition to any Schrade knife collection.

Type 1
Stamp: SCHRADE-WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL over PAT. PEND.
Sheath Stamp: SCHRADE-WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL
Thong: Tied
Holes: 2 round
Bevel: Single (front)

Stamp: SCHRADE-WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL over PAT. PEND.
Sheath Stamp: SCHRADE-WALDEN over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL
Thong: Clamped
Bevel: Double

Stamp: SCHRADE over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL over PAT. PEND.
Sheath Stamp: SCHRADE over OLD TIMER over HONESTEEL

Stamp: SCHRADE over HS-1 PAT. NO. Over D-227,733

Type 2
Holes: 1 teardrop

Type 3
Thong: none
Holes: 1 round

I still need to get a type 3, and as yet do not have a copy of the instruction sheet. The Honesteel I can find, but the instruction sheets are a bit harder to come by. Anyone have a spare? Or even a scan of one?

Codger

A good read on the honesteel you wrote up there codger.
I still need a type 1 with the double hole. I have a single and a teardrop, but both are missing thier sheaths :mad: . I keep one in a canvas roll up sharpening kit. and the other in a display.
they work good, I know that

Spock: Sir, logic would dictate that only one animal skin enclosure device would be needed for the three, since only one unit will likely occupy your person at a time."

Cap'n Kirk: "Spock, I have an idea. If I get a type one with a sheath, then I won't need sheaths for the other two!"

Spock: "I believe I just said that sir. Beam him up Scotty".
r
e
g
d
o
C

Back