Opinions on the HS-1 Honesteel?

I cannot fine even one of my several honesteels. I bet my son is to blame. Back in the days of my Western Auto store I sold quite a few of those sharpening tools. One thing I liked about them is that you could make quick work splitting the pelvis of a white tail deer with the chisel shape of the honesteel and a good size rock and I didn't feel like I was abusing anything (except maybve the deer). Boy, if I had known then what we all know now I could have one hell of a valuable Schrade collection because a lot of schrade product went through my store.

Paul

Indeed! Larry and I are working on a time machine, but don't hold your breath. The 36 shares of Walmart stock I sold (at a profit) in the seventies have split how many times and would be worth how many dollars today?

Codger

They would be worth a bundle of dollars, but..................just think how many YEN they are worth!!!!!

Paul

Codger,
I found a couple the other day in my rummaging through little out of the way stores. If I could only remember where I saw them...............
I would imagine they are the type 3 (I will take your guide & check).
I should probably get one for myself....hopefully with the paperwork. I will let you know.

Generally, just remember two round holes, type 1, teardrop hole, type 2, and single round hole, type 3. All the rest is just details.

I appreciate your looking. I do not value them as highly as the "Buy it now" sellers on Ebay do, so If they are high, just thank 'em kindly and walk on.

Codger

Codger, these may not be very useful as an image. If you want, I'll e-mail the scans to you, just holler:

honesteel2.jpg

File0003.jpg

I'm trying to work with them to get them sized some, but seeing them in detail helps. Looking at the other knives on your instruction sheet gives you an idea of when it was printed, and maybe an estimate of the age of your honesteel.

Codger

The 165OT on that sheet was last produced in 1991, and the Honesteel pictured had the teardrop hole, so the sheet could have been printed between 1980-91. Also notice that the sheet says "patent pending". We know from research that the patent issued in July of 1973, and that the Sharpfinger pictured appeared in the 1973 Schrade Cutlery catalog, so maybe there is really nothing we can say with any certainty about dating Honesteels with regard to the sheet itself, or the information as presented in the catalog illustrations and text. They might well have used those same sheets from June of 1971 until after '91 with minor art changes, and disregarded the "patent Pending" text, as well as the hole structure depicted, and the "other models" shown. I would be interested in seeing other revisions of the sheet, so anyone who has one different, let me know! Hopefully everyone that wants or needs the instructions will copy them off. I don't think my reduction will be nearly as readable as yours, and we sure can't ask Schrade's customer service to provide copies now. Thanks again William!

PS- Before I forget, the one most important piece of information the sheet gives us is Schrade's own description of the composition of the Honesteel!

Just picked up a Type 1 variation three. Obviously kudos again 10 years later to Codger as This neophyte collector would have had no idea of all the variations and their production lineage. Checking the others I have collected over the years I just need a variation 1 single bevel to complete the type 1 class. Yeah good luck finding one of those.:cool:

Anywho good worth while reading.

Ok wiping the brown of my nose now.:rolleyes:

Photos no longer present -- of Schrade Instruction Sheets.
So WHAT IS THE COMPOSITION OF THE SCHRADE-WALDEN HONESTEEL? Anyone?

I think it is some kind of stainless steel, I have several example from the type 1 to type 3
there is no rust on them, the sheath are in bad shape and the honesteel have been neglected.

Back