Opinions on the new Fallkniven f1x?

fkf1x$01-fallkniven.jpg

Hi,

I’ve been reading here a while, but never had an account. I’ll be sure to make an intro post soon when I can get some pictures together. First though I saw the new X series from and wanted to gather opinions.

I just picked up a, now, old f1 for a good prices couple of months ago. Maybe with the new X series coming out they were getting rid of old stock :)

Anyways, I’m not sure I like the look of the new X version vs the old one. I like more traditional looking knives I guess and the new X looks very modern and tactical. As an EDC this newer aggressive look definitely won’t help keep it subtle. Of course, it makes sense as a pilot survival knife... but what do you guys think of it and the new blade tip? Also what does the new tip shape improve? I rarely carve with the tip of my knife, but I guess this design is stronger?

The sheath does look nicer! I’ve been struggling with the snap lock on my Zytel.

32.jpg

The guard looks like something that causes potential hot spot. Why is the tang exposed so much? Lower production costs? They still can't make kydex sheath for their knives for the price? :)

Welcome to the forum.
I like some Fällkniven knives and currently have one but find the new knife a tad generic. Im not the least tempted.

Reactions: vba
Thanks :) agreed Bladescout. The f2(z) is maybe the only other knife I’d get from them, though that’s more my purpose than their range.

A.L. - a guy on YouTube explained the guard to have something to do with how it also locks into the new sheath.

Fallkniven now has 3 fundamental (excluding Micarta models) F1/S1/A1 variations
I personally have no issues with the original now classic grind, but the Pro and X may be more attractive to others.
I have owned several F1 variations, and my current "use" knife is a thermorun F1 3G with custom made kydex.

We all know the strength benefits of a full tang design. But that always comes at a cost in weight compared to a hidden tang.
The F1 in VG10 weighs 153g (5.39oz). The F1 Pro weighs 180g (6.25oz) from the blade design and guard,
and the F1x with it's full tang design weighs 222g (7.82oz). The additional weight means something for some people,
not so much for others.

The F1 always had a somewhat simple but troublesome zytel sheath, and FK has made some changes to it starting with the Pro.
But the sheath for the X collection is new and uses some kind of securing clip system. which "may" have something to do with the
extended ricasso forming a guard.

Not much more I can add without actually holding an F1x in hand. :)

I like the Fallknivens I just wish they offered all their blade styles in the Cos steel. The x series f1 looks like it may be a little more stouter. I do kind of like the new grind style of the pro models though.

I can't say which version of the F1 is better unless you are rating by steel alone. I own the original F1 with a Fallkniven micarta handle. I think the rubber handles looked and felt cheap. They however worked and kept the cost down. Those handles eliminated my considering the standard Fallkniven stuff that came that way. I like their leather sheath and find it very practical. But I like leather sheaths.

The F1x appears to be an improvement. I suspect I might like it better, but as mentioned relative to today's knives it does appear somewhat "generic". But the old rubber handles were extremely "generic" and reminded me of the SOGs.

I like em. The new sheath looks like a stellar improvement!

Gonna try a F1x this time around.

Wasn't sure if I was going with the F1x or the S1x. Untill I looked at the weight of the x series.. :D

I have an A1 model (VG10 steel) and an A1Pro (CoS steel) and they are both excellent knives.
However I'm not tempted by the new A1x version. The increase in weight is too much for me. I don't understand why the full tang was not a little bit skeletonized. As it is it's really a lot of dead weight.

I have the A1 "classic" and recently bought, but also returned, an S1 Pro. The S1 Pro handle is the girth of a your grandfather's old pocket knife (think Case EDC models). It's far too thin to be useful on a blade that substantial. They should have maintained the A1 sized handle on that model. The S1x at least has potential, in that hopefully some scale makers will take advantage of the new design, and the aftermarket will open up for this.

Alas, you're looking at the F1x, which, in your photo, appears to be much better balanced than the S1 Pro was.

When ever I look at a Fällkniven, I contemplate whether I want the FK or another CPK and thats really no contest. I always go for the Carothers.
Nothing against FK, I just prefer CPK. YMMV.
This new offering is a bit ...meh.

Yeah, if you have a tremendous amount of patience, and cat-like reflexes... ;) Otherwise, I concur! I still have nightmares of the Friday sales where I continue to fail to obtain what seems to be the unobtainable. LOL

I always liked how light weight the F1 was. I'd stick with an old F1 in CoS rather than going to the F1x. I don't care for the new grind thinner is better for the knife.

Modified scandi grind with a secondary bevel? That finger guard/choil is reminiscent of a Mule.

Would prefer the full flat grind of the original and a smaller choil. The removable handle scales and the new sheath are an improvement IMO. Better lanyard hold as well but at the expense of the original butt design.

Last edited:
imho, they have been pricing themselves completely out of my consideration... personally, when I get up around the 300 dollar mark I'll start looking at carothers and customs

I would consider them if they were sub 150

Reactions: vba
imho, they have been pricing themselves completely out of my consideration... personally, when I get up around the 300 dollar mark I'll start looking at carothers and customs

I would consider them if they were sub 150

I believe they’re closer to 200 dollars. I’m not sure if the cos steel makes up for the price bump (the pro model was always more expensive), but seeing as they look like any other tactical knife I agree with you :)

I own the classic F1 and his bigger cousing S1. Both in laminated VG10. I am perfectly happy with them as they sit now. Maybe one of these days I will heatform some kydex for them, but that's about it.

I don't think, functinally wise, that the new models are going to do anything the original ones didn't and I don't think the additional strength of the full tang ones is going to make the new models survive something that the oldest ones failed at.

I do understand their need to bringing new models to the market to keep people talking about them, but I don't think they are taking a good approach. Better steel? Ok. Kydex / better leather sheaths? Ok. But not what they have done.

Mikel

I wouldn't mind having a S1X but that choil area needs something done to it. I'm not quite sure what it is exactly but that area looks off too me. The neat part about them would be being able to put some nice handle scales of the owners choice on it one day.

Back