Opinions on Tomahawks requested

954Ink

Gold Member
Ahoy there. I want to add a tomahawk to my collection. I'm looking at RMJ's mainly but I do like the Flagrant Beard as well. I am hoping some members who own tomahawks could chime in and give me their opinions on what to get. These things are pricey so I dont want to take a $500 shot in the dark. I've been eyeing the berserker and loggerhead models.
I'm open to other brands. All opinions and advice will be appreciated.

I prefer spike hawks because....well...they're tomahawks, after all.

Hammer-polled 'hawks are useful if the poll has some width. I have an H&B Forge Medium Camp which is an absolute joy to use....definitely my fave among all of my tomahawks for camping and general use.

The H&B GOShawk is on my radar as an improvement upon the Medium Camp.

H&B brings great value and versatility for the price.

:thumbsup:

Take a look at the omnivor bladeworks tomahawks, they are a bit larger with a lot more cutting edge and have tons of customization options. I love mine and the extra length and edge make it way more useful than my smaller hawks. You can also choose between curved or straight handle (I went with the straight one as its a bit longer and allows easier use of the spike.)

Take a look at Grafknives, from Poland. Nice price and those hawks are practically indestructible! I have two (and two throwing knives) and I’m super happy with them. One of them have been tested in wood, rocks and mild steel and the edge just got a bit blunt, no chips whatsoever. One of the very few cases where you get a lot more than you paid for.

Also check out Mark McCoun's tomahawks. Made of forged 4140 and very tough but still a very classic look and feel. I have a couple and use them regularly; great edge retention and toughness.
That being said, for a hard use full tang type hatchet-hawk, Dave Wenger's Beohawk is pretty much an awesome modern take on the belt axe. I remember reading "The Hatchet" by Gary Poulson in school and was a pretty big influence as a kid. To me the Beohawk is my "hatchet"

It really depends on what you want/need. You can go:

Practical
Tactical or
Tacticool

I'd say that, if you can only have one:

S13 or S15 if you want a Spike
L13 or L15 for a Hammer Poll

The handles on either are super-comfy.

:thumbsup:

I've been drooling for RMJ Jenny Wren for some time, but haven't been capable of coughing up the dough.
Hence this thread is quite interesting.
I'm currently very happy with my 'trad hawk', a simple Cold Steel Riflemans and 'carry, survival hawk' a TOPS MicroHawk.
Beohawk seems quite interesting

I've been eyeing the berserker and loggerhead models.
I'm open to other brands. All opinions and advice will be appreciated.

first let me caution you... Hawks are fun and addictive to go out and play with. You are about to tread upon a slippery slope!

I have a Loggerhead from the first run of them ever made. It is indestructible. I liked the more traditional profile of the head as I thought regular hatchet type uses were what I would be doing with it. The loggerhead chops and splits wood easily and I am sure that soft targets are nothing for it.

Later I realized that a spike is actually quite utilitarian because it can be used for splitting wood, digging, piercing, hooking and dragging things. The spike is like the multitool part of the hawk and basically can be used for any task other than cutting, which preserves your edge. The RMJs are so durable that you can always hammer by holding the hawk so that the flat cheek hits whatever you are hammering.

The loggerhead is great but very expensive. My personal recommendation is the American Tomahawk Model 1 (made by RMJ). I have both the hickory and the nylon handle versions. They cost less than half of a usual RMJ hawk. Its a Vietnam style hawk. The nylon handle has been extremely durable. I have carried it on a few fishing and hunting adventures and used it to prep a fire for a shore lunch and many back yard landscaping, and firepit uses. The edge profile is perfect for cutting and chopping and it was shaving sharp. It pretty light weight too, but still is an effective chopper.

Before I ever coughed up the cash for the loggerhead I had amassed a collection that consisted of some cold steel hawks, a fiskars hatchet, the sog vietnam hawk, the Lagana VTAC (made by Furhman) and a 2hawks longhunter. The Lagana VTAC was tortured. I bought it to see what the limits were. It held up to everything I could thing of. Breaking bricks, cinderblock, punching metal, throwing, throwing and more throwing, digging and splitting smaller rounds of wood. Its edge geometry was hideous for my usual camping, hunting, fishing tasks and needed serious re-profiling before it would reasonably chop wood. The handle was a bit slippery too. Ultimately I gained huge confidence in its design and construction but wished it had come with a better edge geometry and not so smooth of a handle. When I discovered that RMJ resurrected the Lagana design, I did some googling and just from pictures I realized that they had refined the edge geometry and fixed the slippery handle. RMJ made a beast into a titan. I jumped on it and got one. As soon as I got my hands on it I knew I had found my perfect hawk.

I really love the history of this design too. It was created by Peter Lagana, a Marine and outdoorsman from Pennsylvania, for use in Vietnam. Look it up, you will find some interesting reading.

Last edited:
Thank you. Slippery slope lol. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought my first Busse knife lol I will look into your suggestions.

Oncebitten- how wide is the hammer side on the L15?

3/8", I believe. I have 2 Shrikes, no Loggerheads.

I would NOT recommend buying a L15 if you are looking for a hammer. If you are, I would go right back to recommending H&B for 20 to 25% of the cost.

The L15/L13 hammer poll "faces" are too narrow for driving in nails, etc. There's an injury lurking there, at some point. A Roofer's/Carpenter's(?) Hatchet is much better for nails (and pulling the ones that you bend...LOL!).

Riz! Is 100% on the money when it comes to spikes, the LaGana, and the improvements RMJ made with the new nylon handle texture.

Rmj Tactical is great, no doubt, but not my first choice for wood processing. I was able to bend my drop forged Shrike beard when torquing in a really hard wood, so no hollow beards for me. Maybe Berserker is much better for wood purposes?

I have a 2Hawks War Beast. It works for a living. The hammer poll is big enough for real work, the blade has three edges, and two points to work with. All around, my favorite outdoor tool that isn't a big knife.

I know you are looking high end, but stay away from the American Tomahawk VTAC. Pure garbage. RMJ makes a great hawk. :thumbsup:

Depending on your intended use, you might want to look at the 2Hawks Longhunter. I used one for years and am thoroughly pleased with it. It has been used effectively process game, split firewood, clear trails and serve as a makeshift hammer to build a fence. Plus it throws well, although the toe could be more pointy. The price is still $125 which leaves you plenty of room for a second hawk to go with it.

Tha is everyone. I want an RMJ berserker but looks like I'm gonna buy the 2 Hawks Longnhunter and Spyderco hatchet hawk today. Then see how these play out. I appreciate everyone's input. I didnt know about most of these options.

Back