Opinions on Tomahawks requested

Last recommendations: look up Walkbyfaith777, he's a BF member and makes some gorgeous traditional hawks. Also Beaver Bill has a nice assortment of traditional hawks. I do not own hawks from either of these makers but I hope to one day soon.

If you are handy and want to try a tomahawk cheaply, check out the Cold Steel ones. I have a pipe hawk thats been a real workhorse. Theyre good hawks under that icky black paint :D lol. If you have a file, sandpaper and some paint stripper you can get a really nice one of a kind tomahawk with a Cold Steel.

Have a S13 and a Jenny Wren and have zero regrets with either. The JW I did pick up used on the forums which lowered the price.

In my opinion, it's really only a tomahawk if the handle goes through the head from the top.
If it goes in from the bottom, and uses a wedge, it's a hatchet, or a hand-axe.
The full tang hand-axe is more an evolution of the breaching axe or crash-axe concept. But no matter the blade form, I don't consider a FT axe to be a tomahawk.
I think they are completely different tools, that happen to have overlapping roles.

I never realized there was a physical difference I thought it was just aesthetics and regional terms. Thanks for the knowledge.

Tomahawks are weapons that are handy for light utility cutting/chopping tasks. In my opinion, the tomahawk market has tacked on so much mass that these have more in common with hatchets and axes than with historic, battle proven tomahawks. Weight is great for wood chopping and heavy duty use but comes at great cost--too cumbersome for carry and in combatives they feel dead in the hand, too sluggish for speed.
dateposted-public
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189175285@N06/50079378667/in/dateposted-public/
dateposted-public

dateposted-public

If you are interested in tomahawks for easy carry and combatives then the Backripper Tomahawk is the way to go. I tried carrying tomahawks for a long time--even the LaGana VTAC in a custom shoulder holster--uncomfortable and prone to self injury. I then started a historic review and did experiments to determine that battle proven tomahawks from the 17th-19th century are a completely different animal to what's on the market today. They had a lot of impressive capabilities and eliminated the shortcomings seen in many axe fighting systems.

We combined these capabilities with ergonomic design for a practical everyday carry tomahawk. Link below link for more information on the Backripper Tomahawk.

https://www.wingardwearables.com/backripper-tomahawk

If you invest in a quality blade, it should be readily accessible so you can use it a LOT. If a blade is too burdensome to carry, then you won't be using it much. Folks carry Backripper Tomahawks everyday. It may be a flesh-and-bone weapon, but it handles a lot of daily cutting and chopping chores just fine, plus we got some other interesting blades available and new stuff later this year.

Zac with Wingard Wearables Co

And if historical context interests you:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVU05wB6OT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B03pYdpHkIY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I never realized there was a physical difference I thought it was just aesthetics and regional terms. Thanks for the knowledge.

first let me caution you... Hawks are fun and addictive to go out and play with. You are about to tread upon a slippery slope!

My own mother can attest to that. She borrowed my CRKT for some tree pruning work some years back. Then I needed to get her one for herself for Mother's Day.

2Hawks heads are cast 6150, but that part doesn't bother me. They're properly heat-treated, and hand finished. I bought a Warbeast as an outdoor working tool several years ago. I don't find the steel to be chippy, it sharpens easily enough, I've had no problem with rust, and the geometry is fine for my uses. I'm not trying to cut a car in half, though. Devin sells a LOT of his 'hawks, if there was a problem, you'd have heard about it!

I bought a Flagrant Beard as well. They were on sale. I held off on the Spyderco to many bad reviews. I want a Walk By faith axe at some point. Sadly between unexpected home repairs and rainy season I haven't had a chance to mess with any of the axes yet.

If you pull the handle off, some (not all) tomahawks can actually make a very passable ulu, for work in the kitchen. Make a handle out of a rolled-up hand towel and some duct tape. It slices! It dices! Don't know about the julienne fries(showing my age here), but they're also good for slicing steak for fajitas.

Just a thought....

That's a can do attitude my man. I should put a micro bevel on one of these for deer season.

Back