Orcrist, the Goblin Cleaver

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
What does everyone think of Weta's design for Orcrist? I really like the blade shape, I don't remember the sword having a dragons tooth for a handle though. A neat take on the sword, and a neat contrast to Glamdring, a regular claymore type sword. Not really a discussion on the merits of the United Cutlery edition, just on the basic design of the sword.

Orcrist.png

PHjbBh2uGiLxmo_2_m.jpg

I think it bites.

Sorry, couldn't resist.;)

I like the blade/guard...but I can't say I care for the handle. The whole dragon tooth thing is a little over the top and the curve runs the opposite way I would place it--of course then they couldn't have the spike sticking out of the pommel... :rolleyes:

Not a fan.

I actually liked the sword designs from the other films. Well, Narsil/Anduril and Glamdring anyway.

I'm also not a fan, looks like a knife rather than a sword, and the jumble of curves and points in the handle don't look integrated to my eye... but they aren't beating a path to my door to build props!

Yeah I really liked that piece as well. Sort of like a beet knife in reverse and Hulk-ified. :D

I think it's awful. They did it right in the first set of movies. My favorites were Arwen's sword and Aragorn's ranger knife. Both fit the aesthetic I thought they should have, as elf-forged blades. Slender, graceful curves, and kind of a natural theme. This looks more like a cave troll designed it. Handle is incredibly fugly.

It looks more like something from a MMORPG than an actual weapon. These weapons are designed to sell more to fantasy geeks as wall hangers than to weapon collectors.

It's almost too much of a contrast from Glamdring and Sting imo. Different type of sword, yes, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it. Glamdring has a sense of elegance to it, that this rendition of Orcrist doesn't exude. A similar style of handle would have been a much better choice I think.

Agreed. I like the single-edged half-leaf-blade concept for a sword called "The Goblin Cleaver" but dang that hilt...chunky in the guard, anaemic in the grip, cheesy with the fang...gah.

The handle boring, the hilt guard more of a liability than anything and more chance of injuring oneself on the tip on the pommel if some orc, goblin or enemy collides with any kind of momentum. If the enemy gets that close you'll need more than that pommel tip!

I just saw the movie today! Thought it was really good. I like the design of the “Goblin-cleaver”, a fitting design for a blade meant to cleave Orcs and Goblins! The "Foe Hammer" is pretty bad ass too!

dude i am so happy someone brought this up cause i built one. i wanted it to be light like elven blades are so i made a highcarbon blade with an aluminum core it was extremely hard to do but i pulled it off on my 8th try

dude i am so happy someone brought this up cause i built one. i wanted it to be light like elven blades are so i made a highcarbon blade with an aluminum core it was extremely hard to do but i pulled it off on my 8th try

um... yeah, i see no pictures... must have been a dream

Back