Order of the Canoe

So, I'm a big lover of peanut knives and really enjoy the Cult of the Peanut thread. I also enjoy canoes. There's just something about them visually, the way they feel perfect in my hand, and that great main spear blade. I thought I would start a canoe thread because I'd like to see pictures of canoes, read about why people like or don't like canoes, and hear about what sort of cutting tasks people use their canoes for. This thread is for anything canoe-related! Canoes aren't as popular as other patterns, so this thread may fizzle out fast, but I hope that we can keep it alive and spread the love of canoes!

I have quite a few canoes myself, mostly Rough Riders, a Colt, and a Buck 389 import. Here is my first Case Canoe, which I received today. I love all of my canoes thus far and will undoubtedly acquire more in the future!

Alex

Uh-oh Mine capsized...

This Queen is a single spring design. I think canoes are about the most pocket friendly pattern there is.

100_3264_zpsed7ddb89.jpg

I just got mine and carried it for work today first time. (Same Case as yours)
So far I like it, worked with it, food prepped dinner as well. Tomorrow I got lots of work to
put it through.
I like the slim carry, the thin blade is nice... and I'm glad I have carbon as most of my Cases are SS.
I like the canoe pattern. I've had a Queen that I can never use because that D2 just won't get an edge.
I'm happy with my new Case!

This standard, recent-production Case Canoe was one of my first "new" traditional knives when I started to get into them last year. I just love the way these knives look, especially with the canoe etch on the Case. Unfortunately this is the only one I have (for now :D).

72683107-BF0F-43ED-96A8-2295BD0051F8.jpg

The canoe is one of my favorite patterns. My fanciest is the CV Case. Also have a Colt with carbon steel blades, Rough Rider with twisted bone, Buck 389, and a Taylor-Schrade Hammer Brand 4 blade canoe whittler, with spear point, pen, coping, and sheepsfoot blades.
I like how they all disappear in the pocket, and how they feel in hand.

I've been carrying a Frost Cutlery canoe the last few days. Surprisingly well made knife, and I've really liked the canoe pattern. First time I've used this pattern.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I must admit that this is one of my least favourite patterns. I once had a Queen canoe - the same model as Frank showed above - which I gave to a friend as it didn't work for me. The function was fine, I just thought it ugly. I have yet to see one that I find attractive, but will keep an eye on this thread in the hope that someone will change my mind :)

The canoe's grandpa ;) the "swell-center canoe" (also called "surveyor" and more recently "railsplitter")

I don't have one but the Buck & Russell signature canoe is pretty neat. Unusual blade combination (for a canoe) and unusual steel combination --154cm spear and S30V Wharncliffe. Very cool!

buag308s.jpg

Those blades are impressively long on that M&G, almost longer than the frame itself:cool: That's how it should be too, nothing worse than some short chetif blade lost in a big frame :eek:

Paul Not to pun, but I find myself in the same boat as you:D just too much bolster on this pattern for my taste. Mind you, I think you can find shadow Canoes.

Regards, Will

I'm another who has never taken to carrying a Canoe pattern pocketknife. I do own these two Case Canoes; a 1999 with Chestnut bone handles and blade etched CV steel, and a 1974 with standard bone handles and carbon steel (before Case began marketing them as "CV" and with the blade etch). I have gifted a number of Canoe patterns over the years and they were well received by the recipients. OH

Case_62131_CV_1999.jpg

Case_62131_Canoe_-_1974.JPG

FG,

Thank you for starting this thread. Since my new Case Canoe is the only traditional I own, I'm in.

Pictures to follow when it gets back above zero outside.

Böker Germany. Carbon with Green Washboard Bone scales, this is single-spring.

IMG_4274.jpg

I have a Case in patriotic kirinite that is one of my favorite knives. I mostly carry it at the office. It is pretty unobtrusive in my pocket, it has a blade combination that works well for me, and I like the way it feels in my hand.

Two of my most beautifully handled knives are canoes that were very generously gifted to me. The Baby Butterbean came from Crazy Canuck and the Remington Canoe (named Pirogue) from 5K Qs (Gary). The figured bone and bolsters on the Case are opulent and elegant. The burl wood of the Remington is a maze for my eyes; I simply get lost looking into the rich texture.

I'll be honest though, they don't get carried often; not for any reason other than I've only been carrying a Peanut and #14TC exclusively for the past month or two.

33cgv4P.jpg

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread, as I'm sure many wonderful examples will be exhibited.

Been carrying this fine example of the pattern sent to me awhile back by Andi, I agree with Frank on the single spring canoe being very pocket friendly.

Pete

Canoes don't do it for me aesthetically unless they are "just right". Shawn's Remington is how I like'em, with the blade fitting perfectly between ends.

Like canoes , just not a pattern I've picked up yet. Definitely on the list, a Queen preferably, as well as a canittler. I still bemoan not picking up a canittler before CSC went under, although I see a Queen model pop up occasionally on the popular auction site. Does anyone have a Gunboat Canoe? Case ran a series of them, x-time ago, along with some other large patterns, like the large cigar whittler, clasp knife, etc. Kind of a large stockman on an enlarged canoe pattern. Jake-that Buck and Russell model is pretty neat...unfortunately so is the price point :eek:! The combo of steels is kinda neat on those models. AG Russell's perfect pen knife has always reminded me of a canoe, although I don't know if that is particularly intentional. I do have one of those, and must say I really like it. Very thin and a VG-10 blade+ it locks open.
Thanks, Neal

There is something about a Canoe that gives me an internal feeling of the outdoors. I used to carry this one all the time. Thanks for the spark ;)

6383539759_3642e1a43c_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is a fine looking user, Gevonovich!
I was just taking pictures till now, but maybe I'll give it some cutting soon.
Your Indian's line of sight seems different from mine?

Back