Original Leatherman PST....

How many of you carry an Original Leatherman PST? I mean the VERY first model that Leatherman came out with...

I still have one I bought about 10 years ago, before there were so many models to pick from, and I find it's simplicity to be refreshing. I know that newer models have more blades, locks, etc...., but there is just something about the first one that seems very classic. I also own a Wave (new version) Supertool 200, Flair, and a Charge XTI in Realtree camo, but the good ol' PST still sees pocket time. Anyone else out there go PST? :D

I purchased a Leatherman PST in 1993 while at University. I was amazed at the strength and versatility of the tool. I even had it inscribed with my name (cost +++ to get done for a "poor" student). I carried it until I got the Supertool as a graduation present. I have been a fan of Leatherman since. My PST is now retired (and well deserved). I have purchased several Leatherman tools oner the years (PST II, Wave, Micra Several Juice models) but currently carry the Blast as my EDC and really love the tools found on it!
Hope you continue to enjoy your PST. I think Leatherman tools are the best on the market and would highly recommend them, including the PST!
Regards, Neil

Fool4Blades said:
How many of you carry an Original Leatherman PST? I mean the VERY first model that Leatherman came out with...

I do and it is my most frequently carried multitool. I also have an original Leatherman SuperTool, a SOG PowerLock and others which are more capable than the original PST. The main reason I carry the original PST more often is that it weighs so little while still being useful. The other tools pull my pants down. :)

The original PST weighs even less than the current Leatherman Juice CS4 and the PST's pliers are larger and stronger.

I bought an original Leatherman Tool a year or two after they first came out, around '88 or '89. (They only called it the PST after they introduced other models.) I carried it daily for about ten years. I don't have it any more; I gave it to my nephew after I bought the just-released Wave in '98, which was my EDC until Christmas '04, when I got my Charge.

I stumbled across an old-yet-minty original Leatherman Tool a couple years back. I've carried it a little since then, and like parnass said, it's amazing how good it still is, while so much smaller and lighter than today's bigger tools.

Yep, I've still got my original, bought in San Francisco in 87. When I brought it back to Australia I reckon I had one of the few in the country. I bought one for my Dad in about 1991 and he still wears it on his belt every day.

I guess that's why I like my Victorinox Spirit so much. It reminds me of my first leatherman.

Leatherman4life said:
Charge XTI in Realtree camo?
Were did you find that one?

I bought it at Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine Texas! I think it is a special edition for that store. Looks really cool!

Fool4Blades said:
I bought it at Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine Texas! I think it is a special edition for that store. Looks really cool!

I got one at the Bass Pro Shop in Charlotte NC several months ago. Must be a Bass Pro thing?

I received my first PST on 1995 and I still have it, then I got a supertool (original supertool I dont like the locks on the 200) someone stole it from me and that's when I started my collection more than 20 multitools not including SAK's.
Then I bought my PSTII and I carry it every day, or my Spirit. but the PST is the original tool and I trust it very much!

Fool4Blades said:

I still have one I bought about 10 years ago, before there were so many models to pick from, and I find it's simplicity to be refreshing. I know that newer models have more blades, locks, etc...., but there is just something about the first one that seems very classic. I also own a Wave (new version) Supertool 200, Flair, and a Charge XTI in Realtree camo, but the good ol' PST still sees pocket time. Anyone else out there go PST? :D

About 10 years ago I was at a weekend retreat in rural Tennessee with my wife. While she and her group were attending workshops, husbands and other non-essentials were on our own in the countryside doing stuff. I was hanging with a guy named Ted whose young son had learned of a good fishing pond and wanted to check it out. None of us had brought any tackle, so we had to improvise.

My attention was caught by Ted's Leatherman, the first time I had ever seen one in use. He used the knife blade to cut and strip wood for poles, the pliers to bend stiff wire for hooks and the file to sharpen them. This guy was a regular McGyver. All weekend he was making and fixing stuff for himself and others, all with this little bitty tool.

When I asked about it he said his older son, a military policeman, had been issued a PST and found it so handy he sent one to Ted for a Father's Day gift. Since then he had never been without it, and I could see why.

As soon as we got home, I got one for myself and also one for my son. Although I liked it well enough, a few months later Target was selling out Supertools at clearance prices, so I picked up one of those. It was bigger, stronger and had locking tools, so the PST went into semi-retirement while the Supertool became my EDC. It still got some use, mostly by my son who borrowed it when his went missing (eventually found) and later as a loaner when his broken and mangled PST went to Leatherman for repairs (the boy has always been hard on his stuff).

In May of 2004, preparing for a month in England, I was advised that the Supertool was not legal carry there because of blade length and lock, so the PST went with me instead. It got some use, but mostly I learned to appreciate the light weight and smaller size. I could easily pocket the PST, while the Supertool was strictly belt carry, and it could do just about anything that a multitool could handle. So, back it went into my EDC rotation. These days I actually carry it more than the Supertool.

I agree, it's a classic. Even though I own and appreciate other Leatherman models, the PST gets its share of chores and due recognition for its usefulness and quality.

Thanks for that story znapshatz! :D I love reading stuff like that!

Also, I forgot to mention that I much prefer the finish on the older Leathermans, more of a satin finish on the blades. And the way they used to stamp "Leatherman" on the blades, wonder why they quit doing that?

I don't know, I guess as I get older I get more nostalgic and tend to lean towards simpler things...

Thanks again for all the great responses so far, keep em' coming! :)

I still have my original Leatherman PST and its original leather sheath. The Wave took its place as my daily carry however, before the Spirit then took ITS place.

I EDC either my original PST or the SideClip despite having a bunch of others which I find either too big and heavy or too small or weak.

What I dislike about it is that it does hurt a bit when using much pressure and that the old model Phillips screwdriver tends to fold over my fingers in use.

Occasionally, when I want to carry light, I'll pick up the Juice S2 or the original Mini Tool (the one in which the handle folds over itself for full size pliers on a smaller package).

The one that I have seen that could become a regular is the Vic Spirit (which is my brothers EDC) but I have not found one yet in Mexico.

Luis

I'll be the odd man out here and say that, while I did own and carry one for awhile, I found the original PST to be lacking in some areas. I didn't like the way it felt in the hand or the blade orientation. I also thought the file was not as useful for EDC - a saw blade would have had more utility. I liked my SAK Champion more and gave the PST to someone who would use it.

I still have my original Wave and found it solved all the above problems nicely.

Yup, love the original! After a few years I moved to the PST2 because I fish a lot. The diamond file and scissors really help on stream. Never warmed up to the Super Tool, too heavy and the lock is hard to use. I cannot begin to describe the work I've done with these things, truely awesome!

Ming65 said:
I guess that's why I like my Victorinox Spirit so much. It reminds me of my first leatherman.

I second that remark. I've owned a ton of multitools, and never found a replacement for the old PST until I got my Spirit.

Buzzbait said:
I second that remark. I've owned a ton of multitools, and never found a replacement for the old PST until I got my Spirit.

Have you re-ground the blade yet Buzzbait? I took the serrations off mine and ground a bevel on the flat side. Now it's a sraight razor.:)

The original Leatherman Tool has come a long way. Its still a favorite of mine. The early ones had a very raw and crude finish on them. Amongst the thing that have been ironed out now includes, a hollow grind main blade (it was sort of flat V-ground back then); the handles had an uneven surface and came with only an imperial scale ruler in inches (no metric ruler like now); the back spring which held the tools in place were cut-out in an almost laughable manner in that the slots were not cut-out equally. But the thing that takes the cake, was that the tools when in a closed position (with handles folded closed), were not level out along the back. They were so out of place that it looked as if the tools were individually hand ground and put togather like some workshop project gone wrong. This is not to say that the tool didn't function as promised. It did and with a 25 year guarantee on it who would have guessed that an entire generation of users would grow up not ever knowing the pains Leatheman took to get it absolutely right.

Back