Original Leatherman PST....

Fool4Blades said:
Thanks for that story znapshatz! :D I love reading stuff like that!

Also, I forgot to mention that I much prefer the finish on the older Leathermans, more of a satin finish on the blades. And the way they used to stamp "Leatherman" on the blades, wonder why they quit doing that?

I don't know, I guess as I get older I get more nostalgic and tend to lean towards simpler things...

Thanks again for all the great responses so far, keep em' coming! :)

All my PST and PST have Leatherman stamped on the blade and the new blast does it too!

Ming - I've left the Spirit's blalde the way it came. I'm not really bothered by the scalloped edge too much. If nothing else, it's sharp as heck. I figure that I always have a much higher quality plain edged blade on me anyways, so I'm going for versaility on this one. That could change though.

GIRLYmann - Yep. The original PST was crude by today's standards. What bothers me though, is that the weight and size of the Leathermans have increased dramatically as Leatherman has refined the design of the multitool. I was able to carry the PST in my front pocket like I would a slipjoint, and never found it to be a nuisance. Trying to do that with today's Leathermans would be quite frustrating. I'd really like to see more PST sized multitools.

I still have the original Leatherman model that I purchased while on deployment in the Persian Gulf in 1993. I first had to settle for a Gerber blunt nose multi tool before I could get my hands on a coveted Leatherman (being stationed overseas I found out that Leatherman tools sold out before they could get the latest shipment completely unpacked on the shelves!) I hate to be a litter bug, but to be perfectly honest, I ended up chucking that *$#! Gerber somewhere in the middle of the ocean after it either pinched the crap out of me or failed to open properly, etc. I have always loved the size and functionality of that original Leatherman - the sheath is in pretty good shape too as I carried it more in my pocket than I did on my belt. I have to say that other than the Supertool 200, that original model is still top on my list of favorite multi tools to carry. I have added a few more newer and fancier models to the collection, but I think that the steel and overall quality are better in my two oldest Leathermans. I regularly depend on both models at work and at home and have yet to be disappointed.

Buzzbait - I coudn't agree with you more. Slim is why I still favour it, that along with the PST2. Also, I eventually got hold of the Supertool 200 (ST200) as it handled right for man sized jobs. However, if it were not for its somewhat heavier and larger size I would suggest that (ST200) as an EDC multitool - NOT. That's why the original even with wobbly tools takes preference for a top spot EDC multitool choice.

jtb49er2000 - Ah yes, the Gerber Multi Pliers. I couldn't agree with the blutnose and went along a little later with the needle nose version. Was real cool to see it being used in that 1994 Keanu Reeves movie entitled "Speed". In essence, speed was what that got many to buy the Gerber. Only that early ones had adjustable screws to fix the tension of the retractable plierhead, which cause many an owner to toy around with that way a little too much. Hence, that's all gone now. Sad to note that these models are now being made off shore these days.

Also, it strikes me strange that almost nobody ever talks about the Gerber MPT (Military Provisional Tool).
http://climbhigh5.com/Cutlery/Multi-tools/Gerber_Multi-Tools/M_P_T__Tool/mpt.gif
http://www.cutlerysales.net/knifecenter/gerber/mpt.html
Built to be marginally more hard wearing than the original Leatherman. So why the cold shoulder? Except for a short and stubby cross slot screw driver, all else points to a great buy. Why, it even has that blade to work with PE, a feature which was removed from later Multipliers.

Girlymann - I would like to see one of those Gerber MPT up close. I have to admit that it looks pretty nice in the picture and a heck of a lot better than what Gerber puts out today.

Back