OT Kismet's "Practical Hunter"

Kismet sent me his first handmade knife to photograph. I hope the pictures do it justice. Kis made it all by hand with only a bench grinder for power tools. I hit it a lick on the belt sander to shine it up, but it's all Kis. It's 7 1/2" overall with a 3 3/4" blade, 3/16" thick. Kismet don't be shy. Jump in with the info on why it's designed like it is. I don't want to mess it up.

The knife feels really good in the hand. My thumb falls naturally to the spine. I really like the shape.

overall.jpg

blade2.jpg

Steve

Kis wanted to name the knife "Sarge" because it's an honest, hard-working knife. I agree.

Steve

Great pictures of a great knife. Sarge is a perfect name for that knife. Very nice ergonomics. Kismet, I'd love to hear what you have to say about this knife and the thought process that went into its design. The blade profile reminds me very much of a puuko a friend gave me, but the spine is very different and makes for a rather unique blade shape.

--Josh

This is the first email I sent Bill Martino a few weeks ago.
Bill,
I know you have a full plate, but I've been working on a blade design for
HI's product line. A lot of folks WANT a regular hunting knife from HI, but
the closest we come to it is the JKM, which is very similar to other pukkos
or a Bilton.

This design (attached, I hope) is one I've worked out for all North American
Game, a do-it-all hunting knife. I call it "Sarge" in honor of Sylvrfcln,
but...also because the sargent is the heart of most services. The design
comes from years of practical experience, butchering AND processing game animals.

The blade is 3 and 3/4 inches long. At the widest spot (from the bend) it is
one inch. At the most narrow (near the hilt) it is 7/8ths of an inch.
Overall, about 7 1/2 inches. It is about 1/4 inch thick on the spine.

It has THREE bevels: 1. the false edge, designed to fit in bone joints to
sever tendons and ligaments. The false edge is not sharpened.

2. the blade from the bend to the tip has a continuous bevel back to the
main blade thickness. It is designed to aid in penetrating the bone joints
and sever tendons/ligaments, as well as pierce hide and flesh.

3. the third bevel is the blade from the bend back to the hilt. This is the
slicing blade, and is thinner than the other two.

I made this knife from an Arcade file, found in a farmer's field during one
of my walks. It must be 60 years old. The hilt is the top of an old spoon!

The handle is the last piece of antler I had left after sending you and Sarge
my whitetail supplies. It's not very well done, but I really don't have much
craft talent.

OK: First, Steve? Beautiful images! Thank you so much. This is wonderful.

Second, the knife:

I want to donate the design to Himalayan Imports, if it can generate a market for itself. A lot of folks WANT a hunting blade from HI.

On this prototype, I've attempted to differentially temper the blade, but only have a gas stove and a propane torch.

This is to be a "practical hunter", named after SARGE from HI. A most honest man. It should be small enough to pass unnoticed by regular folks, and big and strong enough to fulfill most demands of a belt knife.

I took the early 20th century designs I like of Marbles and others, and squared the blade shape to make it more "confrontational" to the meat/game/prey. The different bevels took shape as the knife started making itself.

I only have a one-wheel bench grinder and a fiber cutting disc, so my great achievement was stopping, leaving and coming back another day. :)

The rest was hand work with various papers, wet/dry mostly.

I hope that enough folks would like it so that Bill Martino might 1, order an initial run to meet the desires of folks who want a HUNTING knife from HI; 2, add it to his line to draw more folks into the Himalayan Imports family, and on to khuks, etc.

I WANT to donate this design to Himalayan Imports for their product line. If you think that 12 folks might want to order one, I can't tell you how nice that makes me feel. Perhaps calling it an "American Practical Hunter" or "Sarge" would also give some tribute.

I'd imagine the pricing would be like the JKM, but I can't say.

I have no preference for either horn or wooden handle for it. All my khuks are horn, but I also have a variety of wood-handled blades. Should be one or the other for a short run, wouldn't you think?

Majority of interest determines handle material?

(I am not a "handy" person, nor a knife designer by any stretch of the imagination, but this blade shape was in the Arcade file, and all I had to do was remove the excess.)

Hope it pleases.

Kis

Kismet said:
Hope it pleases.
Kis

Mission accomplished:D . It's a very human knife, very warm. I have a hunting knife that my great uncle made from a file that still shows some of the cross hatching on the file. Kismet, I have a question about the blade shape. Why does it swell along the spine between the thumb rest and the tip of the blade? I've seen that design on traditional hunters before, but never understood what it was for.
--Josh

Kismet said:
I hope that enough folks would like it so that Bill Martino might 1, order an initial run to meet the desires of folks who want a HUNTING knife from HI; 2, add it to his line to draw more folks into the Himalayan Imports family, and on to khuks, etc.

I WANT to donate this design to Himalayan Imports for their product line. If you think that 12 folks might want to order one, I can't tell you how nice that makes me feel. Perhaps calling it an "American Practical Hunter" or "Sarge" would also give some tribute.

I'd imagine the pricing would be like the JKM, but I can't say.

I have no preference for either horn or wooden handle for it. All my khuks are horn, but I also have a variety of wood-handled blades. Should be one or the other for a short run, wouldn't you think?

Majority of interest determines handle material?

(I am not a "handy" person, nor a knife designer by any stretch of the imagination, but this blade shape was in the Arcade file, and all I had to do was remove the excess.)

Hope it pleases.

Kis
Definitely put me on the list for one!! I like that knife!

Semp

Kis?

I hope my surprise is not an insult, but I had no idea you were that talented.

If the price isn't too spendy, I'm on the list, too.

Very nice design Kis! For what it's worth, Me Likey.:D

I see several design elements in it all from knives and people I respect. It should be a great user and all the knife anyone needs.

Sir, well-done!

Nice size and shape, especially the distal taper.

I too find the spoon handle guard quite clever. Great choice of guards at the Salvation Army, at low prices.

I've been looking for a fathers day gift, but it will definetly be late. Oh well. If I have the money when they come out then I will get one.

Surely a knife to be proud of and made by your own hand; well done Kis!
Nice pictures Steve, thanks for posting them.
Regards,
Greg

Danny: This one has a hidden cho.

Kismet: The word that keeps coming to mind is honest.

I guess because I think it would do you an honest days work, honestly give you your money's worth, I think you could honestly count on it, and I think it would honestly deliver what it promises.

Not to mention it comes from an honest man.

How about marking it with 3 chevrons?

^
^
^

Rusty said:
Danny: This one has a hidden cho.

Kismet: The word that keeps coming to mind is honest.

I guess because I think it would do you an honest days work, honestly give you your money's worth, I think you could honestly count on it, and I think it would honestly deliver what it promises.

Not to mention it comes from an honest man.

How about marking it with 3 chevrons?

^
^
^

Rusty, I agree with you totally. This is from my first email to Kismet after receiving it.

"I like it! It's a nice honest design and feels good in the hand."

The pictures don't come close to describing the "feeling" that you get from this blade. It truly holds some of the soul of the maker. Sarge will be proud of you Kismet.

Steve

Back