Outdoor vehicles

There's a few members here who spend time outdoors I'm guessing.

Ehat kind of vehicle are you using yo get out in the wilderness?

85 4Runner, 79 Bronco for fun and adventure. Both modified for a mix of slight performance leaning towards reliability and ease of repair. Lockers, lift, cams, intake/exhaust, etc.

The stock Nissan is a farm truck and actually sees more dirt everyday than the other two by far.

I bought a 01 4Runner 4x4 bone stock back in 02 and it’s still going strong (not pictured). It does pretty dang good off road too.

04ECC6B0-0F98-4A45-9C2F-2197BFE03EAA.jpeg

It depends what you mean by "wilderness". I use a 4x2 pickup. But I won't take it where it will get damaged; dirt roads are fine. Logging roads cut through the woods? Nope. Used to do the 4x4 thing, but I basically learned that I seldom have a need for the extra traction and they usually require more maintenance. ATV would be the best choice overall, but you need to haul it to where you will use it for the most part. There are often restrictions in public lands in terms of use.

Last edited:
'08 Subaru Outback. Short of rock crawling, there isn't too much it can't do. It has the ground clearance of a truck, but, even at 6'2" , I can lay in the back with the seats down. It hauls a ton of gear in secure, weather proof convenience.

It's not going to pick up chicks unless you're at an Indigo Girls concert, but my wife stopped me from trolling for ladies decades ago anyway!

In the wilderness? LPC. Leather Personnel Carriers.

Boots.jpg

I have a couple of specialized stealth camping 'vehicles', but this can probably best cover distance as well was deep into the wilderness.
Been considering a small off road motor cycle or perhaps just a powerful scooter type bike. I think it would be really useful. The only limitation is how much "junk" you can bring along. My wife is not in favor of either as she think's I'll kill myself. ;)

Have you ever had the need for the snorkle?

I've never 'needed' it in that I never deliberately go in water deep enough to know it requires a snorkel. I ford a lot of creeks (and occasional small rivers), most that I've never been over before. I regularly get water up over the bottom of the doors, but have never had it to the top of the engine bonnet. I have a snorkel because it's always possible I'll hit a deep bit and suddenly go under more than I anticipated - so it's for peace of mind more than as a requirement.

The snorkel - as an air intake - also gives a noticeable increase in power while highway driving, so in that sense I use the snorkel every time I go on the road.

Reactions: BBW
Been considering a small off road motor cycle or perhaps just a powerful scooter type bike. I think it would be really useful. The only limitation is how much "junk" you can bring along. My wife is not in favor of either as she think's I'll kill myself. ;)

I take a dirt bike sometimes. It's good fun but it's true it takes up a lot of space. It's pretty much the bike or camping gear in the tray, there's no way to fit both.

Suzuki-DR200-1.jpg

I've never 'needed' it in that I never deliberately go in water deep enough to know it requires a snorkel. I ford a lot of creeks (and occasional small rivers), most that I've never been over before. I regularly get water up over the bottom of the doors, but have never had it to the top of the engine bonnet. I have a snorkel because it's always possible I'll hit a deep bit and suddenly go under more than I anticipated - so it's for peace of mind more than as a requirement.

The snorkel - as an air intake - also gives a noticeable increase in power while highway driving, so in that sense I use the snorkel every time I go on the road.
Water over the floor boards is deep. Have you ever been pushed downstream by the current at those kinds of depths? I have crossed streams with a 4x4 I had.... thought it was cool until I felt my truck being pushed downstream with the current when I didn't think it was strong at all. Never had water over the floor boards however. The only time I would push such a thing is during a general area wide flood where roads are covered with water (slow moving water that is).

Water over the floor boards is deep. Have you ever been pushed downstream by the current at those kinds of depths? I have crossed streams with a 4x4 I had.... thought it was cool until I felt my truck being pushed downstream with the current when I didn't think it was strong at all. Never had water over the floor boards however. The only time I would push such a thing is during a general area wide flood where roads are covered with water (slow moving water that is).

I've very cautious in water, so I don't go in fast-flowing water if its high. Deep water I cross tends to be still or slow-moving. Partly depends on how heavily I'm loaded down.

The issue for me is more that I usually don't walk across unknown stream crossings first (who wants to do that three or four times and then go hiking?) so I just drive and hope for the best. Sometimes the vehicle sinks uncomfortably deep and the tires start spinning, and it's just momentum that carries you through. Lucky I put mud tires on, they've saved me a few times.

I like how those snorkels get you up there breathing the cleaner air. Nice rig brother.

Getting into Ultra -light/-compact/-tasking was the game changer for me (incl. for backpacking, bicycle, kayak, and minivan camping). An Inreach Satcom puts both the Mrs and my minds at peace.

Back