Outdoor vehicles

I've had a lot of fun in both of these

InC3MTv.jpg

s8gDhfA.jpg

kAnaDvT.jpg

EK4B1Xp.jpg

My only vehicle is a 4WD camper van (Volkswagen T4 Syncro California with rear locker) and I must say it has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. In winter I carry two sets of snow chains and MT tires and it really gives me peace of mind when I want to travel dirt roads to reach ice climbing or randonee skiing spots. For two people is a palace. For 3 or even 4, things get tight, but doable.

I like the roll bar 'cage' around it. Ever roll it? Looks like it would just roll over and keep on going :eek: :cool:

I never did manage to turn it plumb over, although there were times where I'm pretty sure the stress of the situation took a few years off my life :D

I have a couple of specialized stealth camping 'vehicles', but this can probably best cover distance as well was deep into the wilderness.

29894428678_992c2a93ae_b.jpg

Man, I miss those days. Did a lot of off road riding in my teens and early 20's

What I rode really depended on where we were riding....

For plain old "woods-bashing" I preferred my CR-125, since most of our trails were tight and technical. All the guys on the 250s couldn't touch me until we hit the occasional fire break, gas line, or dirt road, where they could open the throttle up a bit. But deep in the trees and brush, the light little 125 just danced around everything.

If we were headed to the mountains, it was the KTM 495. That thing was a beast - heavy as a tank, as much torque as a diesel freight train, fast as sin, and scarier than Hell at WOT! I bought it at a police auction, non running for $75. Fresh plugs, new oil in the crankcase, and a little lube to get the cylinder free, and I had the most notorious bike amongst the guys I rode with. It was great when we headed out to the Laurel Highlands, as that bike would go up the side of any mountain effortlessly. It sucked in the tight technical stuff (which was always my forte') but let that big 2-stroke open up along a power-line trail, or climbing a rocky trail out of a deep ravine, and you'd be grinning from ear to ear. Just don't get into the power band in 4th or 5th gear.

That KTM scared me after a while. I'd been riding modern 125's and 250's (early 90's at the time) with decent handling and good brakes, and was just plain out-riding the abilities of that big, old 495 to stop and turn (especially with front drums). So I traded a guy for his DR-350. That thing opened up the whole dual-sport community to me. A set of saddlebags and a small tent strapped to the back, and we'd take long weekends to camp and ride all throughout PA, Ohio, and WV.

These days it's a Ram 1500 with the wife, kid, and dog along for the woods adventures. They just don't all fit on a woods bike. But there's always room in the bed for a mountain bike, so I've almost come back around full circle (rode a lot of MTB and BMX in my youth).

Back