Outrage: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed the location has been taken off the Nov. New York Custom show website. Anyone know if there has been a change in venue?

As a resident of Westchester County who works in NYC, I can say without reservation that unless you are a banker, NY is absolutely, without question, the worst state in which to live for quality of life.

I would leave this state *immediately* if I could find a job in another state that allowed my family to maintain our current standard of living. I have been looking for an equivalent position for a couple of years now without luck. I am basically trapped. If I didn't have a family to support, I would have been long gone.

Don't get me wrong, NYC and Westchester have a lot to offer, but the costs so so outweigh the benefits for a family unless you are making serious bank (>$500k plus a year, IMO).

So take a job that pays way less and move south. You get a lower cost of living, friendlier neighbors, more nearly sensible laws, lower crime rates and on and on. I'm in Ohio, which isn't great but I wouldn't live in NY unless I was a missionary to the heathens there. :p

So take a job that pays way less and move south. You get a lower cost of living, friendlier neighbors, more nearly sensible laws, lower crime rates and on and on. I'm in Ohio, which isn't great but I wouldn't live in NY unless I was a missionary to the heathens there. :p

Trust me, I am willing to take a pay cut. I'm an attorney that does patent litigation at a big firm. I have been looking for jobs at smaller firms or corporations but just have not had any luck. I think I'm very well credentialed, but in this environment it's super tough. I'm basically lucky to have a job at this point.

Again, if it were just me, and not my family, I would say to hell with it and move immediately. My brother in law, a plastic surgeon, recently said to hell with it and moved to Houston. He figures he'll be able to retire 10 years earlier than if he had stayed in NY.

Trust me, I am willing to take a pay cut. I'm an attorney that does patent litigation at a big firm. I have been looking for jobs at smaller firms or corporations but just have not had any luck. I think I'm very well credentialed, but in this environment it's super tough. I'm basically lucky to have a job at this point.

Again, if it were just me, and not my family, I would say to hell with it and move immediately. My brother in law, a plastic surgeon, recently said to hell with it and moved to Houston. He figures he'll be able to retire 10 years earlier than if he had stayed in NY.

I feel for you - that's a rough environment.

This area does have a lot to offer, but I'm starting to get really sick of the priorities around here. :jerkit:

Jordan

New York City has always been a place were your second ammendment means nothing, and your real danger level is high. Yes crime has gone done dramatically over the last several years, but there are still many areas you would not want to live/work/shop in. The fact that this is effecting knife sale and ownership in the entire state, where upstate NY is often as rual as it gets, amazes me.

Here are the NYPD crime stats: ( city wide has the general all city numbers)

http://nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/crime_prevention/crime_statistics.shtml

Last edited:
New York City has always been a place were your second ammendment means nothing, and your real danger level is high. Yes crime has gone done dramatically over the last several years, but there are still many areas you would not want to live/work/shop in. The fact that this is effecting knife sale and ownership in the entire state, where upstate NY is often as rual as it gets, amazes me.

It only takes a few to poison the rest. I live in Cali, which is similar in that there are quite few rural areas and there are also several areas that breed the scum which creates this whole problem.

The fact of the matter is that those of us who are responsible citizens should not have to pay for the crimes of those who aren't.

Unfortunately, too many people live in fear and are subject to the fearmongers' persuasion, much to the detriment of the rest of us!!

The fact of the matter is that those of us who are responsible citizens should not have to pay for the crimes of those who aren't.

That's not at all what's going on though you are meant to believe it is. Anti-knife (and anti-gun) laws in general and DAs engaging in extortion over kinves / guns is about POWER. Plain and simple, this is the result of corrupt and evil tyrants having seized control of our federal, state and local governments.

It's just (currently) worse in some places like NY and CA than it is in others.

That's not at all what's going on though you are meant to believe it is. Anti-knife (and anti-gun) laws in general and DAs engaging in extortion over kinves / guns is about POWER. Plain and simple, this is the result of corrupt and evil tyrants having seized control of our federal, state and local governments.

It's just (currently) worse in some places like NY and CA than it is in others.

I know this all too well, brother. The final step in overtaking a nation is to disarm it's citizens. I am glad that there are some of us who care enough to stand up to the tyranny of the few.

Just tagging onto the thread here. Be advised that Ace Hardware has just issued a memo instructing all their co-op members/dealers in the entire state of New York to remove all one-hand openers from their store shelves. The influence of Vance's actions in NYC is spreading, as we warned it would.

Getting on a plane shortly, hope to see some of you at A.G. Russell's Knife Event this weekend.

Last edited:
This just amazes me that the DA can get away with this!

People in NY are clearly allowed to own such knives in specific situations:

New York - Penal Law Section 265.01. A person is guilty of
criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:
(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun
gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles,
chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or

- Section 265.00 Definitions...
4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife
which has a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife.

S 265.20 Exemptions.
a. Sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11,
265.12, 265.13, 265.15 and 270.05 shall not apply to:

6. Possession of a switchblade or gravity knife for use while hunting,
trapping or fishing by a person carrying a valid license issued to him
pursuant to section 11-0713 of the environmental conservation law...

So now hunters can't but these knives!

Just tagging onto the thread here. Be advised that Ace Hardware has just issued a memo instructing all their co-op members/dealers in the entire state of New York to remove all one-hand openers from their store shelves. The influence of Vance's actions in NYC is spreading, as we warned it would.

Getting on a plane shortly, hope to see some of you at A.G. Russell's Knife Event this weekend.

I was hoping this story would get better. This is becoming a scary hot mess and violently quick.

I am shocked the big names are just backing out, but as others have posted. The legal bill probably out weights the knife sales.

This is the start of a horrible finish. Moving won't solve an issue like this. This is cancer to the knife industry and will eat it apart, until it dies in every state!

I have not read the entire thread, but i wanted to say that as an outsider, i hope this can be reversed. I read the news-article, and the majority of the knives confiscated, were spydercos and benchmades. Now, i know that both spyderco and benchmade makes automatic knives, but none of them manufacture what'd be considered gravity knives by anyone who knows anything about knives. I think that's the real issue here. Ignorance and fear. Violent people don't want to spend 30-40 dollars on a folding knife, when they can get a kitchen knife for 2-3 dollars at almost any corner store. Or 2-3 dollars for a screwdriver. The problem lies in educating people about something they have no real interest in, and that's where the DA wins out, because they can twist the facts a little bit, make some sensationalistic news-reports, and even create a "education" program to inform people how bad knives are. Misinformation-program more like it. Scary. And i even see the same trend here in Norway at times, so the misinformation spreads. Better try to nip it in the bud.

The "New York Custom Knife Show" :) has moved to New Jersey. Home Depot may not care but that is going to cost the hotels and restaurants of mid-town Manhattan thousands of dollars in revenue.

Last edited:
The "New York Custom Knife Show" :) has moved to New Jersey. Home Depot may not care but that is going to cost the hotels and restaurants of mid-town Manhattan thousands of dollars in revenue.

Now this is great news. Maybe that moron Vance will feel the blow a tiny bit.

Now this is great news. Maybe that moron Vance will feel the blow a tiny bit.

I doubt it. Guys like him really just don't care. They have this strange notion that all of us walk around with a lethal weapon just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. The truth is that those of us who abide by the law will be stripped of our tools and the criminals will continue to carry regardless of the outcome.

Where I live, anything 3" and over is considered a "dangerous weapon" so now most thugs just carry a gun because it's the same penalty if they get caught.

Flawed logic IMHO!

I doubt it. Guys like him really just don't care. They have this strange notion that all of us walk around with a lethal weapon just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims. The truth is that those of us who abide by the law will be stripped of our tools and the criminals will continue to carry regardless of the outcome.

Where I live, anything 3" and over is considered a "dangerous weapon" so now most thugs just carry a gun because it's the same penalty if they get caught.

Flawed logic IMHO!

Probably right, but what he is doing goes against new york law. Someone needs to bring this to his attention in some way. Maybe then he will realize he is breaking his own laws. I am so very shocked Home Depot didn't fight just on principle, but I guess their goal is more money from "home improvement" and not protection of knife rights.

I am a bit shocked paragon folded without a fight "maybe I have missed something". I suppose it is all about the cost to profit margin. I suppose, we can all just assume nothing can be done, sit back and let our lives be controlled and we can all become SHEEPLE instead of FREE people!

Not me! I plan to die fighting! Then I am going to come back and haunt his A#$ for all eternity. LOL

I believe that Vance is the Manhattan District Attorney and that the brewhaha he has started is pertinent to New York City sales? I live in New York State...but not within the 5-Boroughs of New York City. But KnifeCenter advises me that they no longer ship to New York State? What's up with that?

I believe that Vance is the Manhattan District Attorney and that the brewhaha he has started is pertinent to New York City sales? I live in New York State...but not within the 5-Boroughs of New York City. But KnifeCenter advises me that they no longer ship to New York State? What's up with that?

As noted in previous posts he is willing to share some of the 1.9 million with other statewide DA'S that help to make all knives illegal.

I guess most sellers are worried the greed and money grab will spread. Hell, if someone offered me a few hundred thousand and I couldn't care less about knives "like vance", I would probably go after store's myself.

I totally agree with you, but it is just so screwed up right now, it isn't even funny anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back