Overpriced knives in terms of materials, quality & service

RamZar

Gold Member
Mostly looking at production and mid tech knives.

Of course, these are somewhat subjective opinions. No malice intended.

For me Brous Blades, Medford, Rockstead, Strider, Emerson, Defiant7, MicroTech, Benchmade Gold Class, Pohl Force, Extrema Ratio, etc. It doesn't mean all their models are overpriced but mostly yes.

Some others possibly heading to the overpriced realm or already there: Andre de Villiers, Ferrum Forge, Olamic, Reate, etc.

I thought Shirogorov were overpriced until prices on them tumbled this year to something more realistic.

I don't think Chris Reeve and Hinderer are overpriced.

Last edited:
Why not CRK and Hinderer? Im just curious as to ur reasoning.

Why not CRK and Hinderer? Im just curious as to ur reasoning.

Hinderer used to be overpriced but no longer. I've always appreciated the quality and ultimately pricing on CRK. Just one person's take.

It's only over priced when no one buys it. IF they sell a ton of them, then they cannot be considered over priced. IMO

I remember when I thought a $100 knife was over priced, then I educated myself and experienced it. I will never own a $1000 dollar knife but it doesn't mean they are over priced. It just means I cant afford it.

Know, the $70 dollar China made knife with glued on plastic slabs, gaps in the liners, and a terrible grind that I bought on my honeymoon was an over priced knife. :D

Last edited:
Not sure I share your outlook on those particular brands, but I would say that the market seems generally overpriced to me considering the redundancy of materials and features. I see numerous appealing designs, aesthetically speaking at least, that are executed in the same, mind-numbing configuration.

Interesting topic. Lets hope it can stay civil.

2 companies off the top of my head.
First: Begg Knives. They look really nice, but $700+ for G10 with a titanium framelock bolted to it??? Yeesh!
Second: surprisingly, Spyderco. Almost ALL the new releases are IMO way overpriced. Around $240 for a 3" Ti slipjoint is about $100 more than I'd be willing to pay.

Interesting topic. Lets hope it can stay civil.

2 companies off the top of my head.
First: Begg Knives. They look really nice, but $700+ for G10 with a titanium framelock bolted to it??? Yeesh!
Second: surprisingly, Spyderco. Almost ALL the new releases are IMO way overpriced. Around $240 for a 3" Ti slipjoint is about $100 more than I'd be willing to pay.

Do you think that the Spyderco's at their discounted prices are over priced? I typically find very deep discounts on them, sometimes nearly 50%

In before the flood of personally offended fanboys.

I disagree that popularity precludes a model/brand from being overpriced, but I understand the argument.

I think Northwoods are overpriced. In my experience, and from what ove seen, less or equal quality to GEC with a massive price increase against comparable models. Maybe the exclusive handle materials and smaller runs (?) justifies it, but not for me.

In before the flood of personally offended fanboys.

I disagree that popularity precludes a model/brand from being overpriced, but I understand the argument.

I think Northwoods are overpriced. In my experience, and from what ove seen, less or equal quality to GEC with a massive price increase against comparable models. Maybe the exclusive handle materials and smaller runs (?) justifies it, but not for me.

Most Northwoods are made by GEC

Define "overpriced."

There are too many variables to give an accurate definition to every knife and knife company.

It's only over priced when no one buys it. IF they sell a ton of them, then they cannot be considered over priced. IMO

Sometimes I get seduced by marketing.

Sometimes I become a blind and unapologetic fan of a brand.

I have knife/knives from most on my list.

Hinderer- yes, you can get basically the same knife from ZT for roughly half the price with just as good quality and often better materials.

Emerson- same as above and then some.

Microtech- not really overpriced, but they're notorious for horrible customer service. Their slogan may as well be "here's your knife, now go fornicate with yourself".

I agree that Spyderco is pushing it with some of their newer releases, and the move to MAP isn't going to win them any fans either.

Yet prices on customs AREN'T "overpriced"? That is where it gets silly in terms of trendy knives selling for super inflated prices only to be selling for half or less in a year or not getting any hits...

I won't go into names that are on that list...

Markets dictate price (mostly).. and markets aren't exactly intelligent.

Have fun!

Mostly looking at production and mid tech knives.

Of course, these are somewhat subjective opinions. No malice intended.

For me Brous Blades, Medford, Rockstead, Strider, Emerson, Defiant7, MicroTech, Benchmade Gold Class, Pohl Force, Extrema Ratio, etc. It doesn't mean all their models are overpriced but mostly yes.

Some others possibly heading to the overpriced realm or already there: Andre de Villiers, Ferrum Forge, Olamic, Reate, etc.

I thought Shirogorov were overpriced until prices on them tumbled this year to something more realistic.

I don't think Chris Reeve and Hinderer are overpriced.

I agree completely, I honestly think some knives are really overpriced rather than their companies respectively. For example the Rubicon and Slyz Bowie I think are horribly overpriced. I think CRK is almost pushing the envelope but is still reasonable.

Most Northwoods are made by GEC
That's my point. They're made by the same company, to the same quality (though I consider the sabre grinds and rough finish to probably be cheaper in production), but have a significant mark up compared to similar GEC models. The recent Northwoods #15s, for example.

Back