Para 2 CF S90V

Wow, I was going to be very happy when my regular Para 2 comes in the mail, but now I'll be wishing it was one of these instead :D

Is the spine still nice and crisp to strike a ferro rod like the orignal Paramilitary?

Why would it not be?

If this carbon fiber is more akin to the Stretch CF than the Gayle Bradley CF, thats a good thing in my book. But I know that opinions differ on this.

The surface is more like the Para2's g10 than any of the other CF from Spyderco. I have the GB and the Stretch and it's not like either. The alternate fiber layup of the GB's peel-ply is very wide. It's more like a carbon tape than a fiber. On the new Para2 the alternating weave is more thread-like. My camera skills are certainly not up to capturing the difference.

--Jason

The surface is more like the Para2's g10 than any of the other CF from Spyderco. I have the GB and the Stretch and it's not like either. The alternate fiber layup of the GB's peel-ply is very wide. It's more like a carbon tape than a fiber. On the new Para2 the alternating weave is more thread-like. My camera skills are certainly not up to capturing the difference.

--Jason

Can you elaborate? And as you said the feelings on cf are opinion dependent. And my opinion is I like the cf on the gayle - which is the same as the sage 1 - better. It is more like the traditional cf look you find on cf hoods for cars etc. The cf on the stretch etc, the "peel ply" is too much like g10 and i guess that makes it subconsiously for me, less luxurious as an "exotic' material. The part I am asking for elaboration is the carbon tape than fiber? And this is the first time I have actually heard the term peel ply cf used to describe the cf on the gayle or sage? I usually hear twill or weave pattern.
Here is a picture of a weave CF
3k_plain_zoom.jpg

Here is a picture of twill CF
3k_twill_zoom.jpg

Here is a picture of Peel Ply CF
peel-ply-black-1-8.jpg

Peel play is kind of like having a texture surface of say g10, some sort of resin, or plastic on top of the CF.
Laminated CF being the polished CF you see on various models like the CF delica.

CF on all US and japan spyderco is the same king of thing with a different pattern, japan made is twill us made is weave but both share being laminated in epoxy resin just like G10 or micarta.

peel ply is a surface finish for grip, you can do both pattern peel ply (stretch, millie, manix....) or polished (caly ...) just like you can have peel ply textured G10 or polished G10. when polished the pattern is way more apparent. i did this to my stretch and milie.

gayle bradley and sage otoh is a single layer of weave pattern CF stuck on top of something else, G10 or AS-1 (carbon micarta, kinda like G10 but with carbon powder added to the resin) the pattern shows in 3D because of this, it's not in a mass of resin just a layer clued on surface like you can find texalium laminated to G10.

i havent bought a CF para2 (yet ? ) but it don't know why it should be different from other US made spidies, it'll probably be weave CF with peel ply surface treatment.

In this pic, it looks like a slight swedge. It may be the light, the angle of the pic, I don't know :confused:

That's why I asked :)
Batosai117,

Indeed, that's an odd effect of the picture. There is no wedge and the top of the blade is perfectly squared and good to use with a firesteel.

I knew this was going to happen :p so here are some pics. Sorry for the not-so-great quality.

And now for some bonus pics. A detail of the carbon fiber at about 20x magnification:

Not a twill...

If this is indeed a tape weave, it's a very narrow tape. I don't know where the line is between a carbon "thread" and a "tape".

Bottom line is the feel: virtually the same as the g10 on the Manix 2 XHP sprint, but with an almost holographic visual appearance.

There is a S90v Millie on sale in the For Sale forum that appears to have a similar look to it's CF. I have seen none of the other Millie sprints and don't know if it's identical to their surfaces.

I used the term "peel-ply" for the 3d effect on the GB because that's how the folks at the SFO described it to me.

Batosai117,

Indeed, that's an odd effect of the picture. There is no wedge and the top of the blade is perfectly squared and good to use with a firesteel.

Ah, perfect :thumbup:

My S30V Para 2 should be arriving tomorrow via USPS :D

I am VERY bummed out that I learned of these a little too late.
There are worse problems in life though I'd guess.

I am VERY bummed out that I learned of these a little too late.
There are worse problems in life though I'd guess.

They haven't even started shipping to dealers yet, or if so it has been in the last day. If you call around and search for the knife enough you should be able to find one. They're not sold out yet.

Back