Para 2 S35VN worth it?

Greetings fellow spydie nuts. I was wondering if you guys think the Para2 in S35VN is worth the $150. When I could pay around $70 for the same steel (reference Native 5 LW). I understand it is a sprint run so there is added value to that. What do yalls think?

Well Native is my favorite Spyderco Value knife, you can get S110V for under $100 but...... No amazing compression lock, blade shape and handle isn't as cool as PM2 etc..

It's a little beefy knife and I love the Dark blue FRN S110V Native 5! I think it's the best bang for the buck

S35VN is a good steel, marginally better than the S30V if you are able to feel the difference,

the sand color G10 scale is good looking but I think it's been done to death now.... It's been a hot color for 3 years now.

I think Spyderco came out with it last year just so they have something new in PM2 to keep us fans spending

I would wait and get the S110V PM2 with that candy sapphire mmmm......

Last edited:
I think it is worth it, wired beans is right in that it was a sprint run, I paid 180.00 for it when it first came out two years ago, and I still have it, new in the box, but I got it to collect it; my DLC coated camo PM2 refuses to leave one of my pockets because it is a bad ass blade but it is S30v; I also use the Native 5 g10 and it is a very nice EDC but I favor the larger blades; also the compression lock is outstanding as well as the ergonomics in the PM2. I got a blue PM2 in S110 and I paid 175 for it, then sold it because I'm always broke, that's another story though.
I think they're both worth it just because they're PM2s, also they're longer than the Native 5. How about getting both? I'm a fan of both, here's a pic
dafd1a27a1eb8a9948ad6b5179079bab.jpg
eb6276367c16d24804bab60fac1ec030.jpg

S35VN isn't an upgrade to S30V. It has lower production #s than some other para 2s. I wouldn't bother with it, but that's just me.

Reactions: vba
The Brown S35V Para2 is not a sprint run, its a distributor exclusive and a lot of them have been made. As for value with the large number that's been made you could be waiting a long time for it to increase. I think its even in stock at a few dealers.

If you are patient and can wait, for $149 you can get this: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-M4-Paramilitary-2-Knife--29810

Dealer exclusive, M4 blade steel, jade handles, $149.

spyderco-paramilitary-2-c81g-(1)-large.jpg

The brown pm2 was advertised as a sprint run when it came out; if it was not a sprint run then several dealers made a mistake in their ads, I really don't care, but I bought mine under the impression that it was a sprint run, but whatever, I still like it and I will keep it. Maybe Sal can get me straight on this...

The brown pm2 was advertised as a sprint run when it came out; if it was not a sprint run then several dealers made a mistake in their ads, I really don't care, but I bought mine under the impression that it was a sprint run, but whatever, I still like it and I will keep it. Maybe Sal can get me straight on this...

From Blade HQ:

This Para-Military knife has a premium full flat ground S35VN blade with a plain edge. The handle scales are earth brown G10 for impressive strength and grip. Sprint-Run, limited quantities.

They must be wrong.

Go here: https://www.spyderco.com/exclusives/ and then find where it says "MOTENG NA".

MOTENG NA (Moteng is a Distributor-Not a Dealer)

ParaMilitary2 Brown G-10 - CPM-S35VN blade

SKU: C81GPBN2

Est. Delivery: March 2012

*Distributor Exclusive - available at multiple dealers

But you're right. Spyderco doesn't know who they make knives for anymore.

They must be wrong.

From Blade HQ:

This Para-Military knife has a premium full flat ground S35VN blade with a plain edge. The handle scales are earth brown G10 for impressive strength and grip. Sprint-Run, limited quantities.

They must be wrong.

That is indeed an error. The Brown pm2 is an exclusive.

The sharpest knife I own is an S30V Spyderco.
So many options and even more opinions so take mine with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
After owning many PM2's with different steels I say no. I sold all of them except my trusty all black s30v.

It's a little pricey, but I'd certainly buy one again if I lost mine. I like the brown G-10 a lot!

Yep, indeed an "exclusive", and not a "Sprint-run".

I do feel my S35VN version PM2 had a bit crisper fit and finish than the S30V's I have had.

And I don't personally notice much difference in the S30V to S35VN, but I thought the S35VN was supposed to be a little bit tougher and less chippy in sacrifice for a bit of wear resistance. Whether you may consider this an upgrade or not comes down to individual needs.

I have had very minor S30V chipping issues, so I thought S35VN might be nice for my personal preferences. But again, I can't really tell the difference in daily carry, so to me it's a bit of a moot point.

Just got one this week and I love it. Most of the knives I've bought the past couple years have been Crucible steels. The PM2 with the G10 feels way better than my Ti Damascus Endura, plus it's a much better grind. If I had to decide again I would definitely buy the PM 2 again.

Hey,

Straighten me out.
What is the difference between a Compression Lock and a Liner Lock ?

Hey,

Straighten me out.
What is the difference between a Compression Lock and a Liner Lock ?
It's basically a more stout liner lock setup in which the tab or liner lock is inserted and compressed between a pin and a surface of the blade tang vs. just bracing up against tang surface. Compression is also oriented on spine of knife hence why it's also known as a reverse liner lock

Ok guys they are both going for around the same price. Would you get the blue s110v or the brown s35vn?

That's a tough one. The S110V is tempting but me personally, if it came with FRN handles (sorry, they've always just felt cheap to me) it'd be a close call but I'd probably go for the S35V with the G10. If they both had G10 then hell yeah, give the S110V a shot. Let us know either way which one you go with.

All things considered, I would recommend the S110V. But that doesn't mean that it's a better steel for how you personally use a knife. It just means I factor in things like resale value. As my old mentor would say: perception is reality. And the perception is that the S110V is better, when the reality is that every steel is a compromise between a small set of useful characteristics. The best steel for you would be based on those characteristics that you value most, which you neglected to mention.

Back