Para 2 S35VN worth it?

If you can sharpen a knife good, the steel is irrelevant.
They all lose the scary sharp edges fast some just hold working edges longer.

s35vn will sharpen faster and be more responsive with each pass on the stone(even more then S30v). It's also more forgiving to slight angle inconsistencies and will still produce a sharp edge.

S110v will cut more aggressively at the same sharpness, then during use, plateau to a working edge forever.
Some people will never get that hair shaving edge on this steel due to lack of techniques, proper abrasives and letting there knives get too dull to hone.

S110v is a bear to reprofile but it hones great on ceramic and diamond.

My view is that I'm more likely to use the s35vn because its easier to sharpen and maintain that high sharpness.

If you have your knife professionally sharpened S110v offers a greater investment.

Or perhaps you like the challenge and aggressive cutting power.

Or maybe by your definition of "sharp", the working edge is amazing.

Either choice is awesome.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am sold. I am getting the s110v. I already have tons of s35vn anyway. Not the world's best sharpener but there's only 1 way to get better. I love the blue color as well

Now to just find that bad boy in stock...

Just my opinion, price considered.

I'd take the S30V over S35VN.
I'd take the S110V over S35VN.
Probably take the S110V over S30V for variety sake.
I'd take the M4 over all.

Or simply,
M4>S110V>S30V>S35VN

Reactions: vba
Yeah, I agree with that. Price considered there is not much reason to buy the S35V exclusive over a regular production S30V Para2 unless you are a collector or love brown G10.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am sold. I am getting the s110v. I already have tons of s35vn anyway. Not the world's best sharpener but there's only 1 way to get better. I love the blue color as well

Now to just find that bad boy in stock...

I hope you like it when you get it. I snagged one and it is a nice specimen. You will get the hang of sharpening it. My first knife in S110V was MT18 and it gave me fits at times. Now I can easily get it to whittle hairs. You can do it!

Just my opinion, price considered.

I'd take the S30V over S35VN.
I'd take the S110V over S35VN.
Probably take the S110V over S30V for variety sake.
I'd take the M4 over all.

Or simply,
M4>S110V>S30V>S35VN

I'm no metalurgist, but wouldn't the S35VN be a little closer to M4 characteristics than S30V is? Just a bit tougher and less chippy.

The stout little Native 5 does great with it, as well.

I'm no metalurgist, but wouldn't the S35VN be a little closer to M4 characteristics than S30V is? Just a bit tougher and less chippy.

The stout little Native 5 does great with it, as well.
It's a list of what I'd buy given the 4 choices, not which steel is better.

It's a list of what I'd buy given the 4 choices, not which steel is better.

I get that. Hence my reply not mentioning one being better than another. Just closer in comparison with what you said was your ideal.
Either way, moot point. Was just wondering your reasoning. :)

I get that. Hence my reply not mentioning one being better than another. Just closer in comparison with what you said was your ideal.
Either way, moot point. Was just wondering your reasoning. :)
No worries, I just haven't noticed anything better with S35VN over S30V so I wouldn't pay $30-40 more for it. My list was kinda what I feel is a better value IMO though a S30V PM2 at the old price of $105 was pretty much the ultimate value.

No worries, I just haven't noticed anything better with S35VN over S30V so I wouldn't pay $30-40 more for it. My list was kinda what I feel is a better value IMO though a S30V PM2 at the old price of $105 was pretty much the ultimate value.

Yes, I purchased mine (digi cam, black blade) brand new from dealer a few years ago for $104 tax included with free shipping. Thats why I find it hard to drop an extra $45 on the S35VN.

Yes, I purchased mine (digi cam, black blade) brand new from dealer a few years ago for $104 tax included with free shipping. Thats why I find it hard to drop an extra $45 on the S35VN.
Those were the days ;)

It's still a helluva $120 (or so) knife.

Yeah, I think uofaengr got it about right with his list. For my money, the regular s30v is the best value of the bunch. I would like to try s35vn but I can do that with the native. I don't think the s35 paramilitary makes sense unless you love brown or you're one of those that needs one of every pm2 for the collection.

I have the S110V Para and it's pretty sweet. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, but I got one with what I consider to be a perfect action. The satin finish on the S110V has a great look--I think the material just takes a slightly different sheen than the other steels. The blue g10 looks great, too. Mine came with a very toothy edge, super sharp, almost micro serrated and I love the way it cuts. Have not needed to sharpen or even strop it it yet.

Surfingringo, I will be very curious to hear your take on the Native and S35VN.

S35VN isn't an upgrade to S30V. It has lower production #s than some other para 2s. I wouldn't bother with it, but that's just me.
That's absolutely incorrect. S35VN steel is made with niobium, which gives the edge better chip-resistance. It's science. Not opinion.

I bought DLC / S30V Camo tomorrow!

Last edited:
That's absolutely incorrect. S35VN steel is made with niobium, which gives the edge better chip-resistance. It's science. Not opinion.
This thread is three and a half years old. Regardless, there is little noticeable difference between S30V and S35VN in actual use. It's not worth a large price increase.

Could we compare the PM 2 with a CRK Sebenza then ask the question again? Both S35V. One is $150 the other $375 to $450.

A consistent reputation for outstanding quality means a CRK is going to cost a lot of money. But no, one cannot compare a Para 2 with a Sebenza. It's just not fair.

Para 2 beats Sebenza in rope cutting contest.

A comparison. All are great knives, IMHO.

I have both and can see benefits of either one in certain situations. I like my Zaan over the Sebbie, but I EDC a GB1 with M4 steel blade. It is the best knife I have ever used for work around the shop, yard, etc.

If you have to have a frame lock like a Sebbie but don't want to pay the freight the take a look at LionSteel Roc. This knife maker has won the Blade Magazine overall knife of the year for many years running. It is very popular in Europe but a sleeper in the U.S.

LionSteel ROK

Last edited:
I think it is worth it, wired beans is right in that it was a sprint run, I paid 180.00 for it when it first came out two years ago, and I still have it, new in the box, but I got it to collect it; my DLC coated camo PM2 refuses to leave one of my pockets because it is a bad ass blade but it is S30v; I also use the Native 5 g10 and it is a very nice EDC but I favor the larger blades; also the compression lock is outstanding as well as the ergonomics in the PM2. I got a blue PM2 in S110 and I paid 175 for it, then sold it because I'm always broke, that's another story though.
I think they're both worth it just because they're PM2s, also they're longer than the Native 5. How about getting both? I'm a fan of both, here's a pic
dafd1a27a1eb8a9948ad6b5179079bab.jpg
eb6276367c16d24804bab60fac1ec030.jpg
Which Spiderco knife is that black one? because I just snagged one from a local Pawn Shop. it was in a tray of knives and Leatherman (the nicest of those was a "Fuse" and I don't need another Fuse, but I think I'm going back for it anyway) tools being offered for $20.

There was also a $40 box that I didn't go through...

Back