Passaround! Roundknife and Skivver.

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We've talked some about a Passaround on the Skivver and I thought what the heck lets do the Roundknife too.

74c3Nok.jpg

The purpose of this Passaround is two fold. First it gives you the opportunity to try these tools, with no obligation except shipping. Second I want your feedback. I'm interested in edge holding ability, ease of use, ease of resharpening if needed, comfort of handle, looks, basically anything you can think of. I want to know what you like and I want to know what you don't like. How can I make them better? Or have I hit the mark? Remember no actual sales talk is allowed in this post. That should only be discussed in emails or PMs.

There are other rules we must abide by please read this sticky: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/262872-Rules-For-Passarounds

If you wish to participate please email/pm me your forum name, real name, address and phone number. I think at this time we'll have to limit the Passaround to conUS. I realize we have many friends overseas. I just can't figure out a fair way of handling it. So that one guy pays $12 to ship it to the next state and the next guy has to pay $90 to ship them to Mongolia. If you have any ideas on how we can include our overseas friends please post them up. For insurance purposes lets value this set at $300. These are leather tools. They are meant to be used and used hard at a commercial/professional level. Please no abusive destruction type testing. No sticking them into a tree and standing on the handle type stuff. Thats not gonna end well. If they need sharpening, sharpen them and cut leather thats what they are for.

Lets keep the time frame at 10 days to use them and then ship em on to the next guy.

Ok, I think that takes care of all the business side. Dwayne if there is something I need to add let me know and I'll edit it up.

Here is the list. We'll keep it posted here and I'll update it as folks sign up.

1) Leatherman/Dwayne
2) Omega/Anthony
3) Salolan/Chris
4) Darkmatter/John
5)SA Hunter/Dave
6) Gary/G2

Ok a few details about each knife:

1TPl9u7.jpg

Here's the roundknife. This is one of my own personal roudnknives from the second batch I made. I have used this knife for well over a year now. I've only had to reharpen it once. I just buff the edge or strop it and it cuts and cuts and cuts. I have had several different commercially available roundknives in the past. This one will cut circles, squares, rectangles, triangles and any other geometric shape you can think of around those knives.

Sk9oQUx.jpg

The steel is AEB-L Stainless at 63 RC. Heat treat was done by Peter's. The handle is Desert Ironwood with Mesquite laminated on. I did this in honor of our Texican friends. No, not really, it was an experiment but I like how it looks. The handle corners are a little more square than my other roundknives. I'm finding I really like this. First it doesn't seem to bother my hand and I will use this knife for hours. Second it kind of orientates the blade for me through feel if that makes sense. I have three roudnknives that I've made and I find myself grabbing this one the most. To me the roundknife is the most indispensible leather tool. This lives on the bench all the time. In this pic the roundknife has just cut through 10 oz Wicket and Craig with one pass. Then I just used a little more pressure to stick it into the cutting board for the photo.

OQDjyq4.jpg

This is the Skivver. This is one of the first knives of three of this type that I made. It was featured in the recent thread on Skivving knives. On all future ones I will include a bolster just like on the roundknife. This type of knife is new to me but Paul has one of the other ones from this run and he says it cuts like a laser. The blade is very flexible and that is part of how its used. Steel is again AEB-L at 63 RC. Handle here is Bocote, a tropical hardwood from the Yucatan.

8CxW3Np.jpg

I personally am learning how to use this type of knife so am not one to talk too much about it. Maybe Paul will chime in, he's had his a couple of weeks now.

IkHhTfP.jpg

So if you are interested in participating in this Passaround, drop me a line and we'll get ya hooked up. Questions and comments are of course welcome.

Last edited:
Dave it appears the edge holding will take quite a bit of time to determine because it just wants to stay sharp! Skiving knives and techniques are very personal so what works for me and makes me happy might not be the recipe for you guys. I am used to a VERY flat, thin edge and I had to make a few passes on my diamond hone to get it right for me. I prefer just a hint of a "toothy" cut but almost scary sharp. I find that stropping works best for be and the buffer (for me) will kind of dull it down.

The flex is adequate but not quite as limber as my older production skivers. This is not really even a factor because as I said the flex if fine on Dave's knife.

Finally, as with anything new I need to get used to the feel of the new knife, but so far it's pure great!

Dave, Round knives of the calibre you produce are not inexpensive I know this from personal recent experience. This will be golden opportunity for the guys to see and feel a good knife.

The skiver may see some resistance , but the Stohlman utility knives are relatively high priced for what they are. If I may suggest, lesser quality handle material up to and including synthetics and the fit and finish doesn't need to be so meticulous on the skiver, because it will truly see lots of sharpening, and general hard use (cutting). The sheath could also become optional. They do take your time and material.

Paul

Edited to conform to Forum Rules.. I hope it still makes sense as written;)

Last edited:
I'll email you in regards to the passaround, but I think it's a fantastic idea and I'm really looking forward to hearing what people think. :)

Last edited:
This is awesome Dave! This weekend I should finish up 3 of the 6 round knives I've been working on and had been thinking of doing a pass around on one of those as well.

Go ahead and put me on the list to try out yours so I can see how mine stack up. I'll send you an email with the pertinents.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris, without trying to derail the thread, I'd be most happy to put one of your knives through its paces.

What a neat opportunity from you guys!

Very cool and very awesome. A great way to promote your work and to let people participate.
And those knives look awesome and I will happily await your reports.

Good deal Paul, I backed mine off to a little more toothy edge too. Bout 400 grit. Got a better bite. So you would prefer more of a zero grind edge or a secondary bevel? As it shipped to you I guess I would call it a micro bevel with a convex edge. Hmm more utititarian I guess. Interestingly I can do the exotic woods cheaper than the synthetics. Thats because I've made some good trades over the years. Theres a couple of Luthiers that like my knives. The cocobolo on yours was cutoffs from a guitar. I'd have to buy synthetics. I've got two 8 ft shelves stacked with boxes sometimes couple or three boxes high of wood and literally have more stacked outside in the log form like firewood. If we stayed away from a bolster how important are the Loveless bolts? Is there too much flex for a regular pin? These are things I could do to keep it more utilitarian.

Stirg and Chris I've got ya signed up and Chris if you do a passaround I'll play.

Thanks Vilepossum and I'm still hoping somebody comes up with a practical way to let you guys in on this. Anybody?

Ooh OOOh Sign me up! what a nice thing to check out!!!

Thanks sir,
G2

Dave, I'm not much of a knifesmith, but I lay the knife on the stone as near to flat as I can get it and sharpen away. I've always thought of it as zero with no bevel to speak of at all. Just flat from the edge to about half way up or even maybe more than halfway.

Bolsters on a using skiver are really not necessary. In fact the handles could be slimmed down a tad more at what would the the ricasso? Sometimes I need to get that knife almost flat on the table when skiving so if a bolster was working as a stand off it would be counter productive for me. (This is also when the flex of the blade is very important.) I don't think there will be enough rough flex to jar the handle slabs loose, so pins should do the job nicely. The wear and tear on the knives will come from the sharpening stones and not from rough use.

Paul

Gotcha Paul. So a zero grind. How far up the handle would you thin it?

Not trying to sidetrack but I had a question Dave. How well does the sheath stay on the round knife? Did you skive the welt down closer to the thickness of the blade or is there another means of keeping a friction fit?

Thanks as always.
Chris

It doesn't really stay on very good. Its purpose really is just for shipping for this deal. I don't use sheaths on these knives. They are on the bench and ready to go. My others are in a drawer in the tool chest. Flip side of that coin is that I have cut myself in the past by accidently brushing against the roundknife while doing something else on the bench. I've learned not to do that by placing the roundknife ahead of me on the bench and just with in reach as opposed to off to the side. My leather bench is 6'x8' so I have room to do this.

@dave no sweat at me not being able to participate. The costs would just be exaggerated. But I will closely follow each report of the participants. I might get lucky and get an older round knife for testing in the future. Which is okay, because I am currently a bit unhappy with my carpet cutting knife for the leather. We will see though.
What are the measures for the handle scales on the round knife? Just curious. Oh, and in a totally unrelated note, do you guys make beef jerky yourself by any chance? I am a total sucker for it, but over here we only get the jack link ones at horrendous prices.

The scales are 2.5" long and the bolster is .75" No havn't made jerky since I was a kid. Pretty easy to do though. The cut of meat you're looking for is called flank steak. Around here its used for fajitas and sometime carne asada. I bet there are all kinds of recipes on the internet.

The last 1/2 beef we got, my wife thought we had plenty of jerky and offered to give some away. Yeah, that about started a fight! :grumpy:

Chris

Just for info the two leather knives shippe Fed Ex yesterday afternoon to Leatherman.

Just got the package from the nice fellow at FEDEX. So far its looking nice! I'll get some time to play with them in the next couple of days.

Info to follow! Thanks again for the pass around Dave.

Back