pepper spray question

i recently bought some counter assault dog spray because i live in Canada and normal pepper spray would be illegal anyway it says it has 0.92% capsaicin is that enough to deter a more human attacker if need be ?

That would seem to be pretty weak.... The stuff our department issues is 10%, with 1.33

That seems pretty weak. The stuff our department issues is 10%, with 1.33% "Major Capsicanoids".

yes i know police issued pepper spray is stronger but like i said its only legal if you carry dog spray in canada and not pepper spray meant for humans. and they dont make that high concentrated pepper spray for dogs ...

Most bear sprays are in the 2% range. You would be better off with Bear spray imho.

ya but carrying bear spray in the city is kinda sketchy and i read that carrying bear spray could be considered a prohibited weapon.

Carrying bear spray in the city is illegal in Canada. So is dog pepper spray...unless it's for dogs. Bear spray is very effective against people. Don't know how it compares to other pepper sprays but it sure did the trick when I got robbed.

I'd go the Bear spray route and if questioned about it,you're planning a trip to Banff National Park.

lol, good idea but im also questioning the size of bear spray, and considering some cops are real a - holes im sure they would find an excuse to fine/charge me for carrying bear spray and probably dog spray to ...

I'd go the Bear spray route and if questioned about it,you're planning a trip to Banff National Park.

That's kind of funny. I was in Banff in Sept. '98. There were bear warnings posted all over the place, but I suspect that it was more likely that you would be raped by a rutting elk.

Anyway, you could always carry a "Carolina Reaper" in you pocket. If someone attacks you, just make them eat it.

Scientific Name: Capsicum Chinense Heat Level: 2,200,000 SHU

doesn't matter what it is, spraying it at a person will get you an assault charge. possibly assault with a prohibited or restricted weapon. administration of a toxic substance if they are feeling creative. Almost anything else is more legally defensible than dog spray, since technically that stuff isn't really legal either. (bear spray is allowed but its under a special exemption, and carry under normal conditions is still restricted) That isn't to say you wouldn't win if its a clear case of self defense, but you would still have to go through it, and the burden of proof would be one: why you had it if you were not intending on using it on a person, and two, why the escalation in force was justified.

As for just carrying it, dog spray is pretty well illegal as well, and at best you would be looking at a carry of a restricted weapon. Check your local and provincial laws as well, as you could be looking at further penalties on that end. Pretty high risk for no reward.

As for just carrying it, dog spray is pretty well illegal as well

No it isn't.
I had to use mine on an attacking dog a few years back.
As there was now a vicious dog loose in the alley, I immediately called the police and told them I had used the spray.
Their exact words: "That's what it's for."

So no, carrying it for dogs is not an issue...because there are dogs everywhere outside, whether you're in a city or the countryside.

Since there are no bears in Windsor, then sure, bear spray would not be a good idea to carry.

first of all dog spray is not illegal second of all if i have to spray a person im not gonna hang around and have tea party till the cops arrive...

Haha. In Japan I heard they'd blow the yolk out of an egg and fill the shell full of finely ground salt and red pepper. Crush the thing in your hand and throw it in the guys face. It worked 2 hundred years ago. Dog repellant is probably better.

Just double check your local and prov laws. There may be additional restrictions, like taking it into a public building on public transit.

Haha. In Japan I heard they'd blow the yolk out of an egg and fill the shell full of finely ground salt and red pepper. Crush the thing in your hand and throw it in the guys face. It worked 2 hundred years ago. Dog repellant is probably better.

When I was a kid, you could mail order a .22 tear gas pen. I found out that the cartridges were loaded with cayenne pepper. I can tell you from experience, that it worked very well.
It's best not to spray an irritant into the wind.

In reading through this thread, it appears that if you used anything to defend yourself, you would be in more trouble than your attacker. (As in the UK.) :rolleyes:

Back