Performance?: M4 vs Cruwear Military

Excellent Vegas Blade! You did a lot of work and got results as they actually should have gone going by the foundry charts of performance. When dealing with materials that really test wear resistance those carbides, and Vanadium ones at that simply can't be beat. Making the blades for performance as Spyderco does all else being the same the carbide fraction should rule that particular test.

I notice you understand why I sharpen with a bit lower grit on most of the steels. Too low is not good, too high isn't either unless you are push cutting, not slicing. If highest wear resistance is how you judge steels than CPM M4 should be better on most medias than Cruwear. Likewise M390, S90V, S110V, 10V/A11 , A11(M)/K390 , etc. are going to be better for you.

Lower angles and higher edge stability will most always go to lower carbide steels so I'd suspect if you wanted a combination of wear, yet high edge stability CPM Cruwear would suit you more. Same reason that steels like W2, O1, Super blue, white steel, etc still have uses despite there being both tougher, and more wear resistant steels.

Steels are designed to do jobs. CPM M4 is designed for very good wear resistance at high temps ( red hardness). To get this lots of expensive elements are used driving costs up. You can get equal or better wear resistance without spending as much money if you don't need red hardness, or as much toughness. Enter D7.

Everything is designed around a niche and one steel won't be good for every job. Everybody needs to decide what their needs are and go from there. Most of us old timers have different knives for different purposes though admittedly some steels, like CPM M4 do pretty darn well at most uses of many people. I've found that the Cruwear/3V class does pretty well for me as well, though I probably do have more M4 knives than anything except maybe S30V. Speaking of all around steels S30V does pretty darn well for a stainless.

Joe

Mastiff, I enjoy reading your posts. You are one if the people on BF that have quite a bit of knowledge that you are willing to share. Thank you for following my little experiment. :) I really like M4 a great deal. I have now built somewhat of a collection of it. I know that the M390 and the S90V steels will outdo M4 on pure edge holding, but they do so at a sacrifice of toughness. This statement always brings up the inevitable "how tough does a folder need to be" question. My answer is "it depends." See I'm learning there is no right or wrong, just choices, pros and cons. I'm rambling, but thanks for following and I think our tastes run very similar in knives.

A lot of knowledge sharing going on here, and that's great. Big thanks to all participating!

Maybe I should put the M4 blade back in my KW Ti/G10 handles (currently M390)! :D

Got rid of one M390 Military, and another is on its way out. The CPM-M4 is still going strong.

Forgive me if this has been discussed.

cruwearetc_zpsee4f8304.jpg

Image created using Zknives.com

CRU-WEAR is an air-hardening tool steel, heat treatable to HRC 60-65. Designed as an upgrade to D2, it offers better wear resistance, greater toughness and higher attainable hardness. Compared to the chemistry of D2, (D2 = 1.55% carbon, 11.5% chromium, 0.8% vanadium, and 0.9% molybdenum), CRU-WEAR has less carbon and less chromium, but more vanadium and tungsten. Both D2 and CRU-WEAR contain carbides for wear resistance, but CRU-WEAR has more vanadium carbides than D2. Vanadium carbides are harder than chromium carbides and are much more effective in providing wear resistance. Because CRU-WEAR contains less carbon than D2, its overall carbide volume is lower, making it tougher than D2. (Note: Although CRU-WEAR contains fewer total carbides, it has more of the type of carbides that are most effective for wear resistance.) CRU-WEAR’s higher attainable hardness results from the fact that it contains sufficient tungsten and molybdenum to cause a secondary hardening response, (up to HRC 65), which does not occur in D2. Finally, CRU-WEAR tempers at a higher range (900-1050°F) than D2 (400-600°F), so it is more compatible with a wide variety of surface treatments.

Information provided by Specialty Metals.

http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=5e15bc65aa434e45ae04f1cc00a43d10

Cru-Wear data sheet

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs\DataSheets2010\dscruwearv12010.pdf

CPM-3V

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs\DataSheets2010\ds3Vv1 2010.pdf

From looking at the available data it seems:

Cru-Wear will provide higher toughness and wear resistance then D2 but less corrosion resistant then D2 and less toughness then CPM-3V.

CPM-3V will provide the highest toughness and similar wear resistance then D2 but less corrosion resistant then D2 and less wear resistant then Cru-Wear.

If a person wants the highest toughness available S7 is one of the best available but as all thighs go, you trade one of the properties of a steel for something else.

Last edited:
Good info, Marthinus!

I don't have any data to back this, it's only my opinion, but I don't know if I could tell the difference between CPM-Cruwear and CPM-D2. They act the same to me.

Anybody were able to stain their CPM Cru-wear blade so far?
I have found it nearly impossible in normal kitchen use so far.... :)

Mine has showed no signs of staining. I have done nothing special to mine to prevent, although I have not done a whole lot of kitchen work with it. I am one of the guys who does not take real good care of that type of thing, and my Gayle Bradley has a few small spots on it. It should be better at resisting staining than M4.

Excellent tests! M4 is one steel that I really like, and it has a good balance of properties for my uses.

I don't have any Cru-Wear but I have an M4 mule that strops up super sharp with little effort.

I've never had experience with M4, but I've been stropping on this cruwear blade and it's getting wicked sharp!

Back