Photos: Please share yours.

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
Here is the perfect place to share pics of your Hanson masterpieces.
95708390_3103855082999295_6556317755446919168_o.jpg

96237727_3103855389665931_9046831086939668480_o.jpg

95644712_3103856109665859_4360000269161857024_o.jpg

95374966_3103856662999137_2992636514959097856_o.jpg

95733824_3103856789665791_4972714307834871808_o.jpg

88185912_2965270786857726_332624940534595584_o.jpg
83706687_2965272306857574_1800202015603687424_o.jpg

Last edited:
It's easy to see why. They are classic, classy as heck and phenominally made. I need to take more pictures.
Thanks Mack, the two in the first photo are my best models, I get more comments on those two than all the others combined. I'll have some photos up a little later tonight of some of the new stuff I'm working on.

Here are six Scagel style knives that I still working on, I still have to do the final buffing on them the start the sheath making. I manage to make a couple Santoku chef knives for a change this time around, This batch of knives had quite a bit of experimental thinks going on along with some new materials that I have been working with. There will be more pics with details to follow tomorrow.
IMG_1919.jpeg IMG_1969.jpeg IMG_1967.jpeg

Here are six Scagel style knives that I still working on, I still have to do the final buffing on them the start the sheath making. I manage to make a couple Santoku chef knives for a change this time around, This batch of knives had quite a bit of experimental thinks going on along with some new materials that I have been working with. There will be more pics with details to follow tomorrow.
View attachment 1295896 View attachment 1295897 View attachment 1295898
Beautiful. The one on the far right of the first pic and far left of the second are screaming at me.

Looking forward to it.

I’ve either missed it or never asked but, what Steel(s) do you use? Same for the Santoku?

That's actually a very good question Chris, and that is part of the experimental portion of this batch of knives. The steel used in all of these knives this time around is AEB-L, ( heat treat with cryogenic quench to HRc-62 ), for a few different reasons. First is the Randall tribute knife, the largest in the group of six knives was made back in 1937, knife making was quite a bit different back then. A lot of knives made in this country at that time were forged from carbon steel files and rasps, and were either flat or saber ground, which lends it self to being able to make a stronger blade out of thinner material. I have studied many photos of the original first made Randall knife, and had come to the conclusion this blade was a little thinner than traditional hollow ground blades of the same length. The inherent nature of the first Randall knife, with it's long slender blade shape, needs to be made of a tough steel. AEB-L is as tough as a lot of carbon steels, which is about twice as tough as cpm154, and cpm154 is a pretty tough steel. AEB-L is probably going to be my go to steel for all my shop knives from now on as well due to being reasonably priced, tougher than nails, and easy to sharpen and maintaining a decent edge. A lot of top end chef knives are now being made of AEB-L, which is an area of knife making I am going to start exploring, and a good Santoku is one that I've wanted to try for quite some time now. The other Scagel style knives are made from AEB-L as well as I had come up with the idea of offering a standard field grade knife in the sub $300 price range. By using a a steel that is easier to work, creating attractive handle patterns without using expensive spacer materials like mammoth ivory or musk ox boss in addition to making an attractive but less labor intensive sheath, I can pass substantial saving on to my customers. These knives will have a starting price of about $200 for a 3" blade pocket style knife, a 3 1/2" dropped hunter will be around $225 and a 4" hunter as seen in this thread will be about $250 a piece. The standard grade knives will most likely be offered for sale in this forum only. I will continue to make premium field grade and presentation grade knives also, and the go to steel for them will still be cpm154, s35vn , and may the new s45vn steel, but they will be offered here in my sub-forum as well as elsewhere.

I apologize a head of time for the wall of text, but I think an accurate description of my work is important to everyone.

Thanks for asking Chris, Scott

Beautiful. The one on the far right of the first pic and far left of the second are screaming at me.

It's coming along Mack I just got to get around to making a wrong handed sheath for it.lol This is a knife Mack and I conjured up, A Scagel style drop point with a Randall #27 style spacer pattern, which is one of my favorite handle patterns from Randall knives.IMG_1953.jpegIMG_1952.jpeg

This next knife is AEB-L heat treated to HRc-62 with cryo treatment. It features a new handle material that I bought from AKS knife supply. It's Black/Cherry Red G10. I didn't like this material at first due to the difficulty polishing the edge grain and due to the fact that it turns out a little more subdued looking. I think the combination of black and cherry G10 in thin layers like this gives it a more of a slight burnt orange tint to it. But this is really starting to grow on me now and I think it has some potential for future builds.

What do you all think about this new G10?

IMG_1962.jpeg IMG_1963.jpeg

Last edited:
Heres another knife same as the above knife but has both red paper micarta and black/cherry red G10. The red paper micarta and the black/cherry red G10 seem to be a pretty close color match, but the paper micarta seems to polish up a bit nicer.

Oh, I forgot to mention the blades also have a new stamp of a Scagel style kris stamp that I made on the reverse side of the name side. I have since had a new kris stamp made by Buck eye engraving, much nicer than the one I made, that I will be using from now on most of my blades. When I get a chance I will see if eye can post some pics of the new stamp.

IMG_1959.jpegIMG_1958.jpeg

This next knife is AEB-L heat treated to HRc-62 with cryo treatment. It features a new handle material that I bought from AKS knife supply. It's Black/Cherry Red G10. I didn't like this material at first due to the difficulty polishing the edge grain and due to the fact that it turns out a little more subdues looking. I think the combination of black and cherry G10 in thin layers like this gives it a more of a slight burnt orange tint to it. But this is really starting to grow on me now and I think it has some potential for future builds.

What do you all think about this new G10?

View attachment 1296150 View attachment 1296152
I love it. I love contrasting colors and those look perfect to me.

As to the one I'm waiting for? If anyone doesn't find this unbelievably cool, they aren't paying attention.
88066268_2967386929979445_4148957911382491136_o.jpg

Last edited:
This knife is the same materials as the others but is a field grade version of the boat scraper knife, this is one of my favorite patterns also. It has straight cherry red G10 and black G10 spacers, you will notice the difference in brightness with the straight cherry red G10 vs black/cherry red G10.

IMG_1956.jpeg IMG_1957.jpeg

This next knife is one of the most requested knives for my to build, it's the first Randall made tribute knife. I think this is one of the nicest looking knives I've built to date, Bo Randall sure had an eye for what looks good, that's for sure.

IMG_1954.jpegt
IMG_1955.jpeg

The last knife is one of two identical Santoku knives I've made, they feature Lignum Vitae handle scales ( Wow! Is that every some weird stuff to work with ). Anyhow I needed a good knife to chop my vegetables up with and I came up with this. So I made two, I'm going keep one and I'm gifting the other one out. I can't sell either of them because the blades twisted ever so slightly during heat treating, by the way they are also AEB-L heat treated to HRC-62 with cryo treatment. I couldn't stamp them so I tried having them diamond engraved at the trophy shop, the engraving came out really light and is really hard to see. But at any rate they should still work just fine as an all purpose chef knife.

In a nut shell I'm probably going to have to grind these post heat treat and laser engrave them myself.

IMG_1967 (1).jpeg

This knife is the same materials as the others but is a field grade version of the boat scraper knife, this is one of my favorite patterns also. It has straight cherry red G10 and black G10 spacers, you will notice the difference in brightness with the straight cherry red G10 vs black/cherry red G10.

View attachment 1296192 View attachment 1296193

Really liking this one! How long is the blade? Also, curious why the crown is facing to one side vs facing down like on the Randall tribute?

Back