Pics! Working on Folders

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Filing the thumb slot... everything is chamfered or rounded for comfort. This one has a ways to go...

Wet sanding the flats - this is done many times on the blade and scales to ensure flatness. I'm using a granite surface plate for accuracy and windex to help the paper cut cleanly.

Looking better...
Drop Point Blade!

I'm using a horizontal grinder to polish and keep my edges "square"
I just worked on some od green micarta before this, the stench of phenolic is awful! lol that is the green dust everywhere

More cleanup... 600 grit at this point

I remember from one of your previous posts about the folders that you were thinking about some kind of pimped or Ano options for the folders. Any hints?

I'm cleaning up and fitting the choil area to the stop pin.

A slip up at this point will ruin the blade so I am constantly grinding and assembling to test. The brush is used at just about every pass to keep my workrest clean.

Clean at 600 grit!

Here's a Pocket Fighter in CPM154... I'm heat treating a batch of them after the folder blades.

Here is my sub-zero area for heat treatment... after the blades are plate quenched they go into this dry ice/alcohol slurry. This effectively continues the quench process for a better conversion. Long story short this will bump the hardness up about one point RC with even better toughness!

This process only works on a few types of steel but is very effective with the steels I am heat treating, CPMD2 and CPM154CM.

Cold Quench!

These are just out of sub-zero treatment and probably -100F! :eek:
This has to be done immediately after the quench; they go from plates to water to the dry ice slurry immediately with no rest between each stage.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the pics!

Neither can I. I haven't picked up any of Dans work yet and it's because I keep holding off for *that* piece. The wait is certainly killing me though!

Keep the pix coming....so freaking awesome!!:thumbup:
Thanks!

I remember from one of your previous posts about the folders that you were thinking about some kind of pimped or Ano options for the folders. Any hints?

Inside out ano :D

I really like that drop point blade, you know!;)
Cool! Me too... once the swedge is on it the lines seem to change to a serious look. :D

I like it !
Good to hear! And good to see you here...

I can't stop keep refreshing the page.
:D

Neither can I. I haven't picked up any of Dans work yet and it's because I keep holding off for *that* piece. The wait is certainly killing me though!

I'll do a thread later on how the buying of these will work... I have a list from last year that I will honor first then I'll be making these for everyone!

DSC_0363_zpseac55679.jpg
This would make for a sick pattern if etched onto the finished product :D

Well, I have special attach to it because I started following this folder since last year when everything was still up in the air...to now the first prototype, a lot of you in the same boat!^ It's impressive to see how Dan puts them togther!^^

Dan almost had me sold on the Bantam, and those fighters are bringing up a pretty strong urge. Dude has some of the cleanest grinds I've ever seen. Also, I totes agree; that pic with the cleaner would make AWESOME etched pattern lol.

Pretty fly brotha!

Tick-tock tick-tock goes the clock. Just waiting until the day I can snag one of these!

-X

great pics, and actually looks like a different camera.. clearing details.. nice work on the knives too :D

Daniel- You are going to bring one of the nicest folder designs to the market. Great work!
rolf

That is some sweet steel, cant wait!, But the best wait ever. Its been awesome watching the process from design to now. Very cool of you to give us a peek into its birth.

I am a sucker for WIP pics and especially when it involves this sweet folder.
More pics please. (of the knife) ;)

Are we still talking about the pix?.....I want the physical now!!:D

Daniel, thanks for sharing your process and work-in-progress photos. It's very cool to see. How do you cut your blades before you start grinding/sanding/etc.? Do you have them water-jet cut, or do you have some kind of saw to do it yourself?

Back