Pics! Working on Folders

He naws at the steel to create the profile, its all very esoteric... but seems to work for him.. though he does have 2 sets of teeth that replenish themselves like a shark.

That looks like A LOT of work! But it also looks like the end effect will be stunning! :thumbup::D

Also liking the drop point blade.

This would make for a sick pattern if etched onto the finished product :D

Thanks! It would... that is just capillary action doing that, it only happens once the blade gets cleaned up. ...kind of neat to see

Well, I have special attach to it because I started following this folder since last year when everything was still up in the air...to now the first prototype, a lot of you in the same boat!^ It's impressive to see how Dan puts them togther!^^

It is nice having you here for the whole project... you guys are why I do this!

Dan almost had me sold on the Bantam, and those fighters are bringing up a pretty strong urge. Dude has some of the cleanest grinds I've ever seen. Also, I totes agree; that pic with the cleaner would make AWESOME etched pattern lol.

:D Sounds good!

Pretty fly brotha!

Tick-tock tick-tock goes the clock. Just waiting until the day I can snag one of these!

-X

Pretty soon... I worked on them until late last night! :D

great pics, and actually looks like a different camera.. clearing details.. nice work on the knives too :D

I'm loving the new camera, thanks!

Daniel- You are going to bring one of the nicest folder designs to the market. Great work!
rolf

Great to hear! Especially from a designer... :cool:

That is some sweet steel, cant wait!, But the best wait ever. Its been awesome watching the process from design to now. Very cool of you to give us a peek into its birth.

Thanks! It's on now!

I am a sucker for WIP pics and especially when it involves this sweet folder.
More pics please. (of the knife) ;)

Will do! Much appreciated!

Are we still talking about the pix?.....I want the physical now!!:D

I threw one in the "knife-o-matic3000" but blew a fuse... :D

Looking great! Can't wait to see more of the finished ones.

Thanks!

beer o'clock! well, not like Xander :D but mostly... I'm old.. can't drink like I used to :) but if it's lunch, it's beer time! :)

Daniel, I forgot already, what blade shapes are you going to do this first go? Just drop points? Does anyone like clip points?

Inside out ano.. sounds good!

beer o'clock! well, not like Xander :D but mostly... I'm old.. can't drink like I used to :) but if it's lunch, it's beer time! :)

Daniel, I forgot already, what blade shapes are you going to do this first go? Just drop points? Does anyone like clip points?

Inside out ano.. sounds good!

Drop Point, Harpoon Style... hard to tell in the pics but I have both posted

I'll do different grinds too and swedges, lots of swedges! Style but not just syle, these will be serious cutting machines!

Daniel, thanks for sharing your process and work-in-progress photos. It's very cool to see. How do you cut your blades before you start grinding/sanding/etc.? Do you have them water-jet cut, or do you have some kind of saw to do it yourself?

Thanks! The blades and frames are water jet cut on these, I'll be doing some one-off blades and frames too. I had them rough cut with some of my holes spotted for accuracy and consistency and then everything is hand ground to match, fit, etc... holes are drilled, reamed and even lapped. My process varies with WJ being the only outsourcing I do, most of my knives are started with a bar and I chop then grind to profile.

He naws at the steel to create the profile, its all very esoteric... but seems to work for him.. though he does have 2 sets of teeth that replenish themselves like a shark.

true

It's going to be beautiful.

Much appreciated!

^^lol! I don't drink a lot, just often. :D. Our kids are the same age, and sound equally destructive, so I'm sure you understand the desire to reject reality :p

Did someone say clip point?! I love a long, lean straight clip!

-X

Woah! It's awesome to get to see this work in progress! It looks like the knife is gonna be great!

It is happening IT is really happening!!!!!!!!!!! I will be flicking my DFK folder in no time!!!!! Probably on the while sleeping on the couch when Jen finds out how much I spent:D

Widerstand??????????? Demanding... sarcasm? Anything extra from Daniel is awesome.. he's got a little girl and full time knife making, not to mention dealing with all of us freaks asking for knives, plus emails and PMs like crazy... give the man a break!

Daniel- WHERES MY KNIVES! :D

Xander, you drunk! :D Yes our boys are about the same age, mine turns 4yrs old first week of September.. my younger boy turns 1yr old the last week of August... yes they are almost exactly 3yrs apart.. I LOVE DIAPERS!

/me slaps Lycosa

I have been giving my ferric chloride container a workout... it will eat a broken tap away and leave the Titanium untouched.

I'm doing different things on the folders... this one features an inner frame relief and scalloping.

Widerstand??????????? Demanding... sarcasm? Anything extra from Daniel is awesome.. he's got a little girl and full time knife making, not to mention dealing with all of us freaks asking for knives, plus emails and PMs like crazy... give the man a break!

What? There was no sarcasm there, it would be great to see a video from him of how he goes about making a folder.

I'm just interested is all.

OK back to tapping! I had to soak that one overnight to remove the broken tap.

Here I'm checking my drill bit size. This is my bit for a 4-40 thread forming tap.

I have one hole for the clip drilled and tapped... screwed in so I can index the next hole. (in background)

Time to grind the lock!

Layout Fluid was applied and I have scribed in my lock "grind to" area(with another knife, the tip is pointing to my line)... I can't see my line while grinding the lock but it helps me keep the grinding of the lock face aligned, I just flip it occasionally to check. I will fit the lock to the frame many times as well... getting this right is critical!

I'm using this angle guide to set my grinder to the proper angle for the lock.

Here's my "jig" to help keep the knife aligned... set up backwards in this pic! The square goes on the left for a right handed folder. :D

Later in the day... I'm hand lapping (precision grinding) a standoff. The standoff sits in the puck and is pushed with a "plunger" as I drag it across the surface plate. I'll match every standoff to .0005" or so, they are critical to get right. One light pass at 800 grit can often be too far! :D

What? There was no sarcasm there, it would be great to see a video from him of how he goes about making a folder.

I'm just interested is all.

Stay tuned for bits and pieces of the process!

My hands get soaked with tapping oil and gunk even with gloves on, usually after a while I'm just too dirty to operate the camera. Good idea for a video though and thanks to Fast14Riot I have a serious tripod to do some recording of the action.

I'd like to film the drilling of the holes and speed it up, you guys would crack up on how many steps there are. I'll try to get some grinding footage too.

I need a film crew, I could make a full on movie just on the folder process!

So hey stay tuned, we do need video!

".0005" or so" .......or so..lol that's friggin tight tolerances...

I'm trying to nail them but as you know that's tough even for the Mitutoyo's!

.001" is fine, I'm just aiming for closer. I have a pile of standoffs ready for knives with slightly thinner blades now too! :D

Back