Picture thread of EDC Fixed blades.

that would be a Dennis Cook Outback, i think its called. its made of 5160, i think he also makes them in L6 steel as well.
Dennis Cook is the husband of Lynn Dawson, who is Barry Dawson's niece.
all their knives can be seen on barry dawsons website.
Barry the great guy that he is, gave me a deal i couldnt pass up on the two knives at a recent show.

thansk, I'll check that out, :)

One of these when at work as we have a max 3.5in blade policy

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0895.jpg

Now ive never carried a fixed blade for edc yet, so what do yall see as the pros and cons of carrying a fixed blade as opposed to carrying a folder?

the KFU and ESEE should come in the mail today. I seriously can barely wait... Not sure if ishould take pictures first or start using them!

Now ive never carried a fixed blade for edc yet, so what do yall see as the pros and cons of carrying a fixed blade as opposed to carrying a folder?
Pros:
  • More available carry options; pocket, belt, thigh, neck, boot, etc...
  • Some of the above carry options allow for larger blades than the average pocket folder.
  • For those who need something for hard-use, the simplicity of a fixed blade means less components to potentially damage or break.
  • Similarly, a fixed blade is inherently easier to clean and maintain, making it more ideal for dirty jobs which could post a problem (or at the very least, a full disassemby) for a folder.
  • Because of this simplicity, you can often get more knife for the money with a fixed blade... especially in the custom realm.

Cons:
  • If you opt for pocket carry as you would a folder, you can generally expect to carry a smaller blade.
  • Most fixed blade carry options are less concealed than a folder would be.
  • Fixed blades are usually a bit heavier than similar folders.
  • This is subjective, but I feel that there just aren't near as many truly great looking fixed blades at the production level as there are folders.

I picked up a Mora to see for myself, and I love it ($12 all in!). However I only edc it for hard use, or spending time in the wilderness. I find a Spyderco Endura very comparable, in both size and weight. However the Endura gets the nod for blade steel, but mostly carry comfort. The Mora is much easier to sharpen, tougher, and costs a fourth of the Endura though.

Scrapivore LE - reprofiling the edge was a tough even with diamond stones. Made D2 look downright friendly.

Scrapivore_LE.jpg

Owners of a Scrapivore- How do yall like it? its obviously popular, but how does it do compared to other smaller fixed blades?

Owners of a Scrapivore- How do yall like it? its obviously popular, but how does it do compared to other smaller fixed blades?

To gets the cons out of the way: The chisel ground pommel has given plenty of people trouble and the lack of finger guard keeps you on your toes. The satin version can rust up in a hurry in damp conditions, coated version I haven't had any issue with.

I've used the pommel as a scraper and screwdriver enough to appreciate it and SR-101 holds onto its edge for dear life. Still yet to pick up an Izula (eying the Candiru), but I can see why people prefer its handle for all around usability.

To gets the cons out of the way: The chisel ground pommel has given plenty of people trouble and the lack of finger guard keeps you on your toes. The satin version can rust up in a hurry in damp conditions, coated version I haven't had any issue with.

I've used the pommel as a scraper and screwdriver enough to appreciate it and SR-101 holds onto its edge for dear life. Still yet to pick up an Izula (eying the Candiru), but I can see why people prefer its handle for all around usability.

Ive never owned any Busse-kin before. Ive heard a whole lot of good things about them. Im going to have to pick one up sooner or later!

Fascion has a good list. I would like to add this one.
  • Speed

When a person opens their folder there is a distinct presentation. The opening, closing, or both. People expect you'll use a folder, and when you use a sheath knife instead it's not unusual for someone to miss it almost entirely. Depending on the rig of course, they can be much more secure and thus not as easy to loose without sacrificing any of the aforementioned very handy speed.

Hi Guys......
I m a 37 years old Man from Germany (Hamburg)...
My favourite Hobby is walking through the Nature with my Dog and some
cool Gear....Knife, Firesteel,Bagpack............
My most used EDC is the ESEE IZULA or ESEE IZULA 2....love it!!!!

Pros? They aren't broken in half on purpose.:D

Hi Guys......
I m a 37 years old Man from Germany (Hamburg)...
My favourite Hobby is walking through the Nature with my Dog and some
cool Gear....Knife, Firesteel,Bagpack............
My most used EDC is the ESEE IZULA or ESEE IZULA 2....love it!!!!
You have an unusual situation in German because of the exception to the new carry laws that the hunting groups were able to get. You cannot legally carry a folder that both locks and can be opened with one hand, BUT you can still carry pretty much any fixed blade knife with a blade less than 12 cm long. I live in Florida and can only carry a "common pocket knife" (whatever that means) concealed if i don't have a concealed weapons permit, BUT I can legally carry pretty much any knife if it is not concealed. The cops may get a bit edgy, but if I want to walk down the street with one of my 12 inch bowies strapped to my hip, they law says that I can.

Back