Photos Pictures of grippy handles

Spyderco Waterway Jumpmaster2 Siren
iVToJg4.jpg

Busse Dog Soldier 8 (Resiprene C)
pi5GGBy.jpg

Last edited:
Kraton handles are just about the "grippiest" I have encountered. IIRC, They debuted in the late '80s with Gerber:

View attachment 2532124

I’m afraid your recollection is a bit faulty, sir. Cold Steel introduced the use of Kraton as a knife handle material on its Tanto model in 1981.

Those great-looking BMFs of yours are handled in DuPont Hypalon, not Kraton. Gerber was the first to use Hypalon, however, with that knife in early 1986, naming it the Cushion Grip.

As for the thread topic, I can say honestly that few knife companies could rival REKAT when it came to producing comfortable, ergonomic, non-slip handles. This Sifu is still one of my favorites.

IMG-0223.jpg

And since I brought up Cold Steel’s Tanto, I’ll mention that its handle is also one of the most consistently excellent that I’ve ever used. A few complaints arose in the early days that original Kraton was too soft and broke down too easily. I never ran into that issue. But the higher-durometer Kratons that came later certainly were above reproach. This 3-V Master Tanto from a few years ago has amazing tactility.

IMG-0222.jpg

-Steve

I’m afraid your recollection is a bit faulty, sir. Cold Steel introduced the use of Kraton as a knife handle material on its Tanto model in 1981.

Those great-looking BMFs of yours are handled in DuPont Hypalon, not Kraton. Gerber was the first to use Hypalon, however, with that knife in early 1986, naming it the Cushion Grip.
I stand corrected. :) [Ya see, my hair isn't really turning gray. That's my gray-matter slowly leaking....]

I’ve posted about this before but here’s my solution to turn any slippery handle into a traction monster. Buck 119 with the infamous phenolic handle. 10 seconds with a heat gun and this shrink wrap and it’s become one of my grippiest knives

1713114882088.jpeg

Plasti Dip? Interesting, never heard about it, thank you for the tip!
How do you apply it? Do you spray it, paint it or dip objects in it?

It comes in both a can (for dipping and brushing on) and in spray form. I've only used the can (14.5 oz).

The directions on the can provide the instructions. I use a minimum of three dips (the knives in my pic have three dips each). It goes on thick but dries thin.

Leftover Plasti Dip should be stored in a new, clean, airtight glass jar as close as possible to the amount of dip you have left. The can Plasti Dip comes in is not airtight and you will soon end up with a solid can of rubber when the solvent evaporates, which can happen very quickly. I buy some jars at Hobby Lobby, but more recently I found 16 oz jars in the arts & crafts section of Walmart which is a good size, and half the price of Hobby Lobby.

I've been using Plasti Dip for several years and have found it to be surprisingly durable. After awhile it will start peeling at the edges, but it's easy enough to cut with a razor, peel off, and re-dip.

Before I started using Plasti Dip I would wrap some knife handles with strips of bicycle inner tube (example below). But I like the Plasti Dip a lot more.

o5UofMa.jpg

Back