Pikal Parer

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a knife I'd really like to get back to making - was a great concept that I never really pushed forward...just kinda batted it around a bit.

It's basically a paring knife with the edge on top....pikal-style.

Very easy to use and intuitive.

I wanted to have a good solid blade with a thin flat grind that would not be too flimsy. Also, it was a must to have a full size handle.

For self-defense, this carries very nicely horizontally on weak-side, edge-up. Easy-in, easy out.

Pikal-Carry01.jpg

Specs:

Blade = 0.090" thick S30V, flat grind, 2.5" blade
Handle = Orange G10 (texturized) with black liners, 3 lanyard tubes, 4.5" long
Overall = 7"

More pics:

PikalParerBBG10-1119-01.jpg

The beauty of this design is that it easily doubles as a paring knife as well as a self-defense knife.

PikalParingKnife0208-01.jpg

Well - any thoughts?

I have been using one in my kitchen (probably one of the ones above) for the last few years and it gets used nearly every day. My wife swears by it...so it's passed the test of time.

I'll probably make a couple minor modifications - such as a straighter blade (less of a hook), no choil at the ricasso/edge area, tighter/smaller thumbgrooves (a must with this design) and I might pull the handle front back just a hair to allow up-close cutting more easily. Also, will be made of 12c27 stainless steel. It will be 95% the same, though...like I said, minor stuff.

Anyway, I'd love to get some input on this design and might even consider a passaround on a prototype.

Dan
KosterKnives.com

Last edited:
This appeals to me. I carry a small pikal knife everyday. I really like the design and it looks very practical for everyday use. Count me in.

Also, I would keep the choil and even the thumb grooves (this is personal, of course). I agree with a straight blade, though I can't see a 'hook' in yours except in the first photo. I am interested in ordering one of these. Looking forward to how this progresses.

Last edited:
You can just barely get a sense of the curve in the first pic. It's a pain to grind and finish, but more importantly...I haven't found any advantage in the kitchen. In fact, I reground my own personal one to a flat sheepsfoot profile and like it much more.

Dan

I like! I also think I would prefer a straight blade, and would definitely be interested in a passaround if this becomes reality!

DD

You can just barely get a sense of the curve in the first pic. It's a pain to grind and finish, but more importantly...I haven't found any advantage in the kitchen. In fact, I reground my own personal one to a flat sheepsfoot profile and like it much more.

Dan

These are really nice blades. I'd like to get my hands on one :)

I will be happy to help you out...:D :D

Let's see if we get a few more takers on the passaround idea.

Dan

I'd love to give it a try! What do you think of this style with a bit more swayback in the handle, similar to the case swayback style?? A wharnie or sheepsfoot swayback in this size from you would be soooo cool!

I also really like this idea and I would definitely like to be in on a passaround.
Looks like a really useful little blade!

Looks very useful, I am looking for a little utility / kitchen knife like that. Great design, as always.

I want to keep this handle straight so that it can be used in multiple grips and easily rotated.

I'm working on getting some 12c27 steel in...going to go with 0.100" thickness and grind it all the way to the top. Changes the look a little, but the performance is quite a bit better for slicing/detail work!

Dan

I like the idea of the full flat grind on this one Dan. I would vote to keep the teeny tiny choil though. I think that it would make sharpening a lot easier (especially on a small blade like this). Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing this move ahead!

I would be interested in one of these. Been looking for something like this for a while. I'd like to see something with a shorter handle and maybe an OAL of around 6.25"-6.5" - but that's just me and my small hands.

Jordan

If you need another volunteer, I would like to be a part of the pass-around.

I agree, that a 4" handle on this would be sufficient for all tasks for such a knife, so 6.5" OAL might be more fitting. ...BUT, I would like to find out with the pass-around.

Another point, in the kitchen and for food prep, do you find the hollow pins to be a problem for cleaning? I would probably want solid pins rather than the hollow pins.

To be honest, I have been wanting a Wharncliffe/sheepsfoot style blade on a small slim neck knife with a steel that was easy to care for. This one fits most of my requirements! Actually, I like the Scout handle profile and size better and would love to see a Wharncliffe blade on it, but this one would do do fine! :)

Jeff

What is the status on this? Of all your designs, this is my favorite. I will buy one now if they are available...

Back