Pirate Sword (sold! Thanks!)

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Yarrrgghhh!!! :eek:

18" long, razor sharp on both sides, cord wrap over thick leather, Hamon and patina.

I am calling it a Pirate's Sword because a pirate would have stolen this and carried it for sure!

076.jpg

073.jpg

079.jpg

Last edited:
I had to change the name of the thread and show you guys some real photos!

It has a nasty zero bevel convex grind for serious slicing! 5/32" thick 1095 steel, the west ystem epoxy soaked cord wrap fills the hand well and the thick leather scales really help to absorb shock.

Video of it in hand, swinging at something, and then just posing :D Or.. a couple more pics :) or not :D or beer!

edit: falsdf meant to ask what was handle vs blade length.. looks kinda pointy but kinda not, almost like a blend of you blunt tip meets point O_O lol I have a sick mind....

Very nice. Ready to take a few heads ;)

Video of it in hand, swinging at something, and then just posing :D Or.. a couple more pics :) or not :D or beer!

edit: falsdf meant to ask what was handle vs blade length.. looks kinda pointy but kinda not, almost like a blend of you blunt tip meets point O_O lol I have a sick mind....

Video and measurements soon! It is huge! Big handle and big blade.

Wow, in the second photo (right side of blade) it looks like liquid metal. Very cool stuff.

Man, that thing would make a machete have nightmares!! :eek:

Exactly! I mean, Yaaarrrggh!

Wow, in the second photo (right side of blade) it looks like liquid metal. Very cool stuff.

Thanks, I worked really hard on the hand rubbed finish and patina. It was hand sanded to 2000 grit then polished. The patina came out nicely I think, it has a golden sheen over the shiny metal with a lot of character. Hamon too!

I like that. It's got a very graceful sweep. Is it feasible to do a double convex grind on something like that?

Note that the second cut is with the swedge.

[video=youtube_share;_OlmGQfCuQM]http://youtu.be/_OlmGQfCuQM[/video]

That is very sweet! Scary for a machete, too beautiful for a pirate, unless he's Japanese.:D

Ok so. handle length, blade length, OAL.. I am looking for a very specific size, hope this is IT! Needs to fit my smaller pack.. Thnx hoss!

Ok so. handle length, blade length, OAL.. I am looking for a very specific size, hope this is IT! Needs to fit my smaller pack.. Thnx hoss!

It is 18" long with a 5.5" handle and 12.5" blade. I used 2" tall stock so it is pretty meaty towards the tip with lots of forward weight, it just wants to slice.

That is very sweet! Scary for a machete, too beautiful for a pirate, unless he's Japanese.:D

Thanks! I think that describes it pretty well.

The pirate stole it from a Japanese ship during a skirmish... the Japanese prior owner got it from some distant exotic land and re-handled it after deciding he didn't like the wooden handle that came with it. They had West System epoxy for the cord wrap because ummmm it was a boat... or something like that. :D

Avast,matey!

We missed National Talk Like A Pirate Day (19Sept) by only a few days.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

<<<< About that time, Gnarly comes along with a brief sidetrack of this thread.... (intentional foul)....whistles blow....>>>>

When Kiah finishes the kydex exposed-poll sheaths for my Wetterlings, both Great & Small, will you do the handles in that pattern w/ epoxy,only in GLOW,please?

And: will you also put the majjjic cystally sparkly line along the bottom edge,on one side of each one,please?

~Gnarly

Back