• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Please DELETE this Mess. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're mad about people selling custom knives in the custom knife section because those knives aren't up to your standards? Personally, my advice is to enjoy this upcoming holiday and give many thanks that your life is in a good enough position that this rates as a problem for you.

I hear what you are saying. A separate Individuals Custom Folders and Custom Fixed blade exchange would be nice. But not necessary for me.

Don’t mind Insipid trying to start drama.

jlydon jlydon I happen to agree with you. The custom folders and fixed blades should be separated into their own respective categories. That would be an improvement. At the very least when people get custom sale notifications of a model they don’t recognize, there wouldn’t be a need to look at the knife to see if it’s a folder or fixed.

The customs threads don't move so fast as to need a split of custom fixed and folders. without checking, there may be a bunch of fixed in there today, but that really isn't the norm(or maybe I don't even notice them). There are also custom slip joint knives in there also
I am fine as is and have never had any problem viewing and finding what I need. It would even be less of a problem if I didn't have sales threads(as you stated for you), and they didn't get moved down faster-just hit page 2 if you are a viewer.

I’m gonna guess that back when the exchange was made, there wasn’t as many custom knives, or knifemakers making customs.
There also may not have been a lot of people buying custom knives.

Now that there is a knife collecting boom, and it’s become a big thing, there are a lot more people buying/selling/making customs.

So yes, maybe separate exchanges could be a good thing.

All my thoughts, no proof.

I didn't say anything anywhere about up to my standards. Oh, here we go - lock it now. And yes, we are in full agreement that we all need to give many thanks especially this holiday season. Ohhhh, I see - it's all about money. Yeah I suppose when we break it all down - everything is all about money. Sad.
You can’t come on here and post something like you posted without at least a little criticism. Don’t get your panties wadded. Also, you made the money distinction - “Yes, more and more as of lately, the Custom Knife section is being flooded with these sub $500 custom fixed blades.”

So what’s the problem there? The cost? Are they “true customs” or not? Who defines what is and what isn’t? Is a true custom a knife one maker makes (vs a factory) but has made many of the same pattern? To me, that’s just a handmade knife. Is it one you designed personally and one guy made it? You tell me what your definition is… I’ll save my laughter for after you say over $500 in price.

My guess on why they don’t have both a custom folders section and a custom fixed blades section is because by definition there are far fewer items to sell and sift through.

Maybe you should make it your mission to go through and flag all the ones that offend your sensibilities.

Might make it too cumbersome for multiple custom knife sections based on price or value. Not sure if this helps but I kind of get your point… you want to browse through really top end custom established makers knives and not the have to wade through the makers who just made their first custom. However, I think you might be asking a little to much. Just my opinion though

You can’t come on here and post something like you posted without at least a little criticism. Don’t get your panties wadded. Also, you made the money distinction - “Yes, more and more as of lately, the Custom Knife section is being flooded with these sub $500 custom fixed blades.”

So what’s the problem there? The cost? Are they “true customs” or not? Who defines what is and what isn’t? Is a true custom a knife one maker makes (vs a factory) but has made many of the same pattern? To me, that’s just a handmade knife. Is it one you designed personally and one guy made it? You tell me what your definition is… I’ll save my laughter for after you say over $500 in price.

My guess on why they don’t have both a custom folders section and a custom fixed blades section is because by definition there are far fewer items to sell and sift through.

Maybe you should make it your mission to go through and flag all the ones that offend your sensibilities.
Slow day over on your end of the forum?

Haha, yeah I guess. Gotta get out more maybe?

Ohhh, I see now. It was the "sub $500" thing that's offensive. And I'm not the one who buys a Borka, takes it out of the box and starts hacking into burlap or whatever. I've seen custom fixed blades in the fixed blade section.
Learn to ignore the trolls and focus on the people providing useful commentary. We do have folks that will poke at people from time to time. Just my two cents. There are others here providing good insight.

Slow day over on your end of the forum?
Come on over and find out.

Haha, yeah I guess. Gotta get out more maybe?

Ohhh, I see now. It was the "sub $500" thing that's offensive. And I'm not the one who buys a Borka, takes it out of the box and starts hacking into burlap or whatever. I've seen custom fixed blades in the fixed blade section.
Offensive? Nothing you posted was offensive to me whatsoever. You’re not making much sense here. Care to answer what I asked?

You can always edit your post so you don't read like you're being snobbish.
You can always start a thread in tech support addressing this matter. A while back, CRK got their own selling sub forum because it was difficult for people to sift through all the folders for sale to find a CRK. It doesn't hurt to ask.
There may not be enough traffic to divide them up as P Peter Hartwig stated. Having fixed and folders in the same custom sub forum really doesn't bother me at all. The thing that chaps my butt more than anything else in the custom forum is when folks list a high end production knife trying to convince everyone it's a custom.

I don’t need to. I’m sure you’re all huddling up to talk about this as I type this. Exciting stuff!

Lighten up, Francis.
Yeah, I’m the one wringing my hands over there not being two separate forums for custom knives.:rolleyes:

I don’t give much of a sh!t. I’m simply curious as to why OP considers “custom” fixed blades under $500 “not true customs”, etc.

Feel free to answer what I asked from your own standpoint if you’re a custom aficionado. Otherwise, butt out and let OP answer.

Yeah, I’m the one wringing my hands over there not being two separate forums for custom knives.:rolleyes:
Cool story.
I don’t give much of a sh!t.
Yet here you are.
I’m simply curious as to why OP considers “custom” fixed blades under $500 “not true customs”, etc.
Probably because he has a point about everybody saying they have a “custom” knife at mid-tech prices sucking up half a page. If I sharpen a piece of rebar on the garage floor and wrap 550 cord around the handle, is it a “custom fixed blade”?
Feel free to answer what I asked from your own standpoint if you’re a custom aficionado.
Just did.
Otherwise, butt out and let OP answer.
No.

I didn't say anything anywhere about up to my standards. Oh, here we go - lock it now. And yes, we are in full agreement that we all need to give many thanks especially this holiday season. Ohhhh, I see - it's all about money. Yeah I suppose when we break it all down - everything is all about money. Sad.
You said they "detract from true customs" I'm genuinely not sure how to interpret that as anything but those knives not living up to your standards. You even doubled down on it with, "we're not talking Loveless, here," so I it certainly read that your issue was with knives you deemed lesser clogging up your feed. For what it's worth, I think your solution is a good idea for a number of reasons, but I have to admit that I find your problem pretty laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back