Please fix your blade grind Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well whaddaya know…. Blade grind looks symmetrical in those pics.

I think you might have “blade grind” confused with “edge grind”.

Anyhow, I’m glad you like your knife now and don’t want to turn it into a garden trowel. Doesn’t look like you took off too much steel at all. That blade has plenty to spare.
I assure you the primary bevel is bad. The the apex of the blade at the plunge is 0.020” deeper on the left than the right (used a micrometer to measure it). You can’t tell from the photo because I wrecked the plunge so bad with the stone. Bad grind.

cR3IARH.jpg

Last edited:
The whole thingsl sounds off. I'm sure if you got in touch with Cold Steel they would be interested to know where/who sold it, if it is a 2nd being sold as a full price knife etc. Just because you've had two that apparently have poor primary grinds seems strange and then unreasonable that you wouldn't check if have had it once before.
Unless you bought both at the same time and both had bad grinds. Even then, why not get in touch with Cold Steel.
It just seems odd that you seem more interested in convincing people not to buy Cold Steel products than getting to the bottom of the issue.
I’m over trying to convince people to stay away from Cold Steel. I’m even considering buying a 4Max Scout. I got both CS knives from what I consider to be a questionable seller. The idea of selling seconds seems possible. The 4Max Scout is only $85 on Amazon. I wonder why so much less than Knife Center???

It is probably a waste of time typing this since you don't seem to be fooling anyone, but as a knifemaker I thought the geometric implications of your claim were interesting.
Sure enough, given the basic parameters of blade height and thickness, even the most extreme skewing of the primary bevels (a chisel grind), would require far less mismatch of the secondary bevel angles to compensate.
I think I am right and you are wrong in this case. Have you taken measurements of my knife? Want to buy it to confirm or disprove my claim? js

This one is circling the bowl.
Necro thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back