Please Read! - Tutorial for posting pics

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Picture-Posting Demystified

STOP!

Before you ask a moderator or paying member to post pictures for you, please read this tutorial on how to do it yourself.

Basic Parameters

Bladeforums allows pictures up to 102,400 bytes. That's the same as 100 Kb.

UPDATE: The Maximum size is now:

Image cannot be wider than 800 pixels
Image cannot be taller than 600 pixels

Most people keep their monitors at either 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768. Subtract from that the margins, borders, and the width of the avatar column on bladeforums, and you're left with about 500 or so pixels. Pictures that are wider than the screen are generally annoying and hard to look at because you can't see the entire image at once.

Use good judgment in sizing your images.

Finding pictures

Go to Google Image Search and type in what you are looking for.

google1.gif

A page with thumbnail images will appear based on your search. Click on the one that looks best.

google2.gif

A split screen appears with the image on top. Click on the image in the top frame and it will open at its full size.

google3.gif

Right-click on it and select Properties. This will bring up data about the image to help you decide if it needs to be resized before heading off to bladeforums to post it.

google4.gif

This one is ok, so we'll post it. ;)

google5.gif

Basic Members

Basic members cannot attach photographs. However, you can link to any picture that is already hosted on another website. There are a few ways to accomplish this.

Remember right-clicking on the google image? Go back and do it again. This time look at the Address: (URL)

Highlight the text and Copy it.

google6.gif

Our image says http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/butter.jpg

Now post a reply to a bladeforums thread. Click on the img tag and paste your text in the box.

google7.gif

Or, you can just type it directly like this.

google8.gif

Submit the reply and you're done! ;)

Example of a linked image:
butter.jpg

Premium/Gold Members

Hopefully you already know what to do...but we'll show it anyway as a teaser to non-paying members who don't want to hassle with all the stuff above.

When you sign up to have a paying membership, a little window shows up below the window where you type your message. Just click on Browse and find the image on your hard drive.

google9.gif

Changing your avatar
(avatar = the image below your login name)
*mine is a blinking old man

Click on this link:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=editavatar

Either choose one of the default images, or upload one from your computer. Be sure to check "Yes" above your image after you upload it. Then click Submit Modifications.

--------------------------------------------------------

Adding an Image to your Signature Line
(sig. line = the area at the end of each post you write)
*mine has a spinning 3D model

Click on this link:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=editprofile

Go to the box labeled "Signature:"

You can put whatever you want in there. You can put in a url link, an image, text - and you can format the text (size, bold, italic, color). Just be sure to use the same tags you would use in a message: ie. Then click "Submit Modifications".

Example of an attached image:

Thanks fer that, Pen. You could consider a job in the Technical Writing field, if the tech industry whasn't in the can right now. Cohesively written and well illustrated, concise and to the point. unlike my post, which is a bunch of oohing and ahhhing, with no real point or content, other than to drone on and on..., never really getting to the point, taking up valuable band width with blustery run-ons and ...

Keith

Good stuff... :)

Now all you have to do is write a tutorial on making animated gifs. :D

Is that butter or margerine?

Pendentive,

Thanks for the great info! I can't wait to try a couple of things out! I've posted some pictures before but always did something wrong. You really make it look easy to this computer illiterate.

And remember that if you're not a Bladeforums member, your ISP will usually provide some amount of web space that is available to store pictures that others can look at. This may actually help Bladeforums by reducing the bandwith and storage that the Bladeforums servers have to provide.

Can you actually buy butter or stale lard :D on Ebay?

The webspace that was provided by my ISP was sort of hidden in the ISP homepage and took a little bit of fiddling around to get working. But it's worth having if only for the goofy pics I post. I'm thinking of getting a digital camera. Just think of all the havoc I could wreak. :D

I can show the world that I too can wear a pizza box :D :rolleyes:

"Now all you have to do is write a tutorial on making animated gifs"

Sure, no problem Bruise ...say, for example, you have a picture of an Saudi Prince gone 'mashoogga who decides to nosh on dog leg.

brucebitesdog.jpg

But you want to breath additional goofyness into it, as such...

Bruce_Opt.gif

To accomplish this, think about being back in Jr. high school and drawing stick figures on the corners of your text books. Then flipping through the pages quickly to create a motion picture composed of the individual drawings. This is all an animated .gif file is. You can download the free demo version of Ulead Gif Animator 5. Arguably the best gif animating software available. After you install it, save the above animated gif to your hard drive. Then use the program to open the file -you'll see exactly what I'm saying.

...By the way, would anyone like to see the naked & dancing version of Bruise's gif? :D

After 15 days the application ceases to be functional. Then you have a choice of uninstalling the program or registering it online with the Co. :(

Try this instead. Make sure you are NOT connected to the Internet when you go to initially install the application (I mean physically unplug your DSL connection for a few minutes). When the program installation asks for a name, organization and registration # ...use any name you wish, use any org. you wish, and the reg.# 82103-85000-25203854 If this is not accepted, then E-mail me ;)

O.K. , thanks for the info . but how do I post more than one pic on a post without having to do replies ? I know it can be done cause I see so many doing it but I am 'computer challenged' so to speak . Can ya help a poor dumb truck driver out ?

Jerry

Back