1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Plumb Rockaway vs Plumb Kentucky vs Plumb Jersey

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by crbnSteeladdict, Mar 3, 2019.

1. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I am looking for a screenshot of Plumb Catalog listing Plumb Rockaway pattern being offered for sale.
    I have found Plumb Jersey and Plumb Kentucky patterns.
    I would appreciate if somebody could share one.
    Thanks

Trailsawyer likes this.
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Their Jerseys and Kentuckys had rounded lugs and are often mistaken for Rockaways.

crbnSteeladdict likes this.
  3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Long time ago, when I was researching my first Mckinnon I found a picture of Plumb with slightly curved beard (not straight like Plumb's Kentucky pattern). I have tried to find that pic again and again. No success. Maybe it was just some kind of lens distortion.

Square_peg likes this.
  4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Like this? They're odd ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it is the shadow but I can see slight curve. They look more like Virginia pattern than Kentucky.
    The thing is I do not recall ever seeing Plumb listing Virginia or Rockaway patterns. For now, until proven otherwise (that is the reason I posted my request) I have to assume those are odd Plumb's Kentucky axes.
    Maybe Plumb was cheap and wanted to circumvent patent protections and chose to not call it Rockaway?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    What's interesting to me about the McKinnon and basic pattern of a Rockaway is that they sort of look like a broad axe that was cut in half. Coincidence or not, they're appealing to me.

I'm thinking about making a 2.75lb one in S7. I've got a friend who's a machinist and S7 is cheap and widely available in big enough drops. They have A2 already, but on paper S7 sounds better. He thinks it can be done, more or less. I'll have to do the final shaping, but the idea has a particular allure. I need to look into heat treating an axe with an air hardening steel, yet.

7. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    That would be one sweet axe. I just want to point one thing that might not be obvious. Looking from the top Rockaway axes have very wide poll: it looks like wedge pattern. Of course, unlike wedge pattern they have high center line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

garry3 and Fmont like this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    The Plumb Rockaways had a nearly-straight jawline to them that was distinctly different than other makers' interpretations. I'm pretty darn sure I've seen them listed in catalog images specifically as Rockaways, but wouldn't be able to find the catalog pictures again to save my life, unfortunately. I believe it was a color advertisement and it showed a few different patterns, including Jerseys and Nationals, I think? They definitely are not Kentucky nor Virginia pattern. They have a "waist" to them at the eye even a little narrower than a Kentucky that gives them a slightly "pinched" look right in the angle of it, and a bit nearly as wide as a Jersey, with a very slight curve to the jawline. The eye height is about the same as a Kentucky and the underside of the poll has a kind of angular, slanted "drop" to it you don't really see on other patterns.

Fmont and crbnSteeladdict like this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Best of both worlds.

I've never seen one listed as a Rockaway in a Plumb catalog but I have called Plumb Jerseys Rockaways because the have a similar look. In any case they're a really handsome axe.

Trailsawyer and Fmont like this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    A lot of people mis-label the Plumb round-lug Jerseys as Rockaways on eBay, but the difference is pretty easy to spot. Jerseys are broad bit/tall eye. Rockaways are broad bit/average-height eye. Plus the other tells like the sloping underside of the poll and dramatic "pinched" transition to the underside of the bit. There's a lot more of a flare to the bit despite similar edge length.

Edit to add, here's one of their round-lug Jerseys. Compare to the other photos I posted and you can see the difference is significant.

[​IMG]

crbnSteeladdict likes this.
  11. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Also just found this photo someone took of a True Temper Rockaway next to a Plumb showing the stylistic differences and similarities.

[​IMG]

Square_peg likes this.
  12. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Lastly, I drew a line through the undercut of the poll on this image to show what I mean. A lot of Rockaways do this, though not all. However, it's something not many patterns do, and helps in ID'ing.

[​IMG]

krustysurfer likes this.
  13. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks! This pic did it for me. In the sea of misidentified Plumbs those with slightly curved beards are closest to Rockaway pattern.
    I know you have eye for geometric lines: that green line got me curious.
    I just went through bunch of hardware store catalogs listing plumb axes and I have problem finding even Jersey pattern being offered for sale.
    Oh well, the search continues
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  14. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Holly Molly.... I knew it had to be somewhere: 5 days of searching. It comes from 1929 Plumb's/ Peter McLaren axe manual
    Cannot find full pdf version
    https://archive.org/details/Axe_Manual_of_Peter_McLaren
    Pre-1929 Plumb Patterns:
    Plumb Pacific Coast Felling Pattern
    Plumb Kentucky Pattern
    Plumb Swamping Pattern
    Plumb New England Pattern
    Plumb Rockaway Pattern
    Plumb Michigan Pattern
    Plumb California Reversible Pattern
    Plumb Jersey Pattern
    Plumb Redwood Pattern
    Thanks @FortyTwoBlade. Your info gave me enough strength to keep searching!
    [​IMG]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-axe-manual-peter-mclaren-1974971393
    Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    Rockaway
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    I've been trying to find out when this axe I found was made. Am I correct to say it was from the 20s by looking at the last post of this thread?
    https://flic.kr/p/2gbhYh5

A17 likes this.
  16. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Probably. And if it isn't, who'll know the difference?

Yankee Josh likes this.
  17. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    That marking and form makes me thing late 1940's to early 1950's, not 1920's.

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  18. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The ones pictured in the posted catalog page look to have the "U.S.A." impress under the boxed Plumb.

20's or 50's, it's a nice example of that pattern.

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.